Finally SAW a deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Finally SAW a deer

Post by chris4570 »

I've been out a a few times, spending pretty much the whole day out, with about an hour break in between and hadn't seen anything(deer). But I have had some enjoyable sightings: an opossum, a few grouse, , tons of woodcock, snakes. Had six toms walk by yesterday about 50 yards from me.

So this morning I went to plan B, a different location that requires a canoe to get into. Well as I was paddling to my landing area I heard a bunch of rustling just inside the forest edge next to the pond. So I'm thinking deer, raccoon, beaver. Could be anything. I don't know what it is so I don't want to screw it up. So I wait until shooting light, put an arrow in, and sit in my canoe. I can hear the noise, and figure it to be deer so I position myself right up against the bank so I have a shooting window and can look towards where the deer are. About thirty seconds later I hear this crunching getting closer from within the forest but in the opposite direction I'm looking. Sure enough it's a deer. A doe, but I'm not picky, I'll take it. She walks within 4 yards of where I am sitting and sees the front of the canoe and stops. I can't shoot because there is a small ceder between us. She stomps, then flags as she jumps back a bit. So I let the canoe drift out so I can reposition with hopes of getting a shot. The other deer further back caught me moving and flagged as they ran off. But another deer, hidden, was still hanging around. Must have snorted about fifty times.

I'll be back later today and again tomorrow, but instead of trying to get out of the canoe I will use it as my blind. I always thought this would work, and this morning it could have.
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Good luck this afternoon. I too haven't been seeing much either. Although, I am finding a few rubs and scrapes. My brother saw a large, high racked 4pt. yesterday morning.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Great to hear it Chris. 4 yards, WOW. You should have wacked her with your paddle :D . I had one around my stand this morning, but it wouldn't show itself. Jumped a small buck on the way back to the truck, but no chance for a shot. Knelt down and grunted a few times, but he wasen't falling for it. Snorted after 15 minutes and then took off.

I didn't get out tonight, so I'll be rested up if you need help dragging them out tonight :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!