Cautions when hunting with crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

striper

Cautions when hunting with crossbow

Post by striper »

I just read Tkstaes post on missing a doe by having the limb of his excalibur hit the ground blind he was in (he thinks, read post). This is not aimed at tkstae at all, but with a lot of new shooters on the site, i wish other veterans would help me point out some things we do to avoid problems that could cause ue to get hurt or miss our shot. Also, maybe we could admit some of the mistakes we have made:
1) Be sure the safety is on when pulling the cocked bow up to the treestand. I put a heavy rubber band around the stock and over the safety so that brush or debris cannot possibly release the safety.
2) Make sure you put a bolt on the bow- I almost forgot that once in the confusion of getting set up.
3) Make sure the limbs cannot contact anything when fired. They really go further forward further than you think when the bow is fired.
4) Always wear a safety harness in a treestand! Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

As stated by striper make sure the safty is on, and that it is handled in a way that you do not bump it off :!: This is more of a problem going thru bush and I try too keep my thumb on the safty holding it down while moving thru cover....

Next and as pointed out by striper is make sure your shooting spot is clear of anything your limbs could hit....clear a shooting area a little larger then you feel you need to avoid your limbs slaping something during your shot....

and then there is COMMON SENSE :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Hey Striper, thanks for the advice. I new about keeping my limbs a safe distance from limbs and other obstructions, even though I didn't do it. That idea about a rubberband around the stock and safety is great. In fact the rubberband is there now. I would never pull a loaded bow into my stand, but it could save my limbs from a dry fire. Thanks for the advice. I'am off to the woods for another crack at them.
Spring

Post by Spring »

I once hit the rail of a permanent tree stand with the lower limb of my compound. And I once dug the lower limb of my recurve in the ground while shooting from a kneeling position.

Notice I said that I did each once. Both events got my attention. Neither are likely to be repeated.

Cheers!
Redbad

Post by Redbad »

Thanks for the tips Striker. I cock my bow after I've pulled into the treestand to avoid a potential dryfire.

I hadn't really thought about limb striking something until the other day when a doe was behind the tree I was in. I tried to reach around, but the limbs couldn't clear the tree (it was a big tree), so she still roams. :lol:

RB
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Good ide Striper.

I have a couple things to add:

1.) keep your thumb out of the way of the string when firing and all other appendages out of the way while sitting in case of an accidental discharge.

2.) don't nick the string with the broadhead while loading the arrow.

Mike
CaptainCharles

New shooter here

Post by CaptainCharles »

As a new crossbow hunter, I took my bow out and practiced under "hunting conditions". I hunt mostly out of a groundblind, so I just fire at my Block target from within the blind.

Speaking of which, I have found the Double Bull archery Import 5 one of the best. Expensive, but you can't beat it....

Two does fed 60 yds from me last night and didn't know I was there....No if they would only come closer,,,,,,,,,,,
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:D :D I never cock my Excalibur until i'm in my stand!! I use a rope cocking adi & it works great!!!!!!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

I would like to add something as well. Be VERY careful ESPECIALLY hunting from a treestand, that there are no branches in the way of your limbs when you shoot. There is a possibility of getting knocked off balance and falling from your stand if you hit a branch while shooting. I always carry a small saw and a small pair of ratchet pruners with me.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
fletch

Post by fletch »

Hi everyone and good to hear that everyone seems to be having good luck. The archery season opens on the 15th so I was out fine tuning my max and learnt that the limbs require far more space when they are uncocked than when cocked. I was very lucky that they just nicked an upright post on the deck. Even though it let me know very quickly and loudly that they needed more space. So I will be checking more carefully from now on.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

schnarrfuss wrote:I would like to add something as well. Be VERY careful ESPECIALLY hunting from a treestand, that there are no branches in the way of your limbs when you shoot. There is a possibility of getting knocked off balance and falling from your stand if you hit a branch while shooting. I always carry a small saw and a small pair of ratchet pruners with me.
What are ratchet pruners? I've never heard of those.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Gary they tighten up each time you squeeze the handle or bars and ratchet the jaws till they cut :!: :wink: I have a pvc tubing cutter that work the same way....takes less pressure to cut with, easy on the hands :!: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Never hoist a crossbow up or down from your treestand with an arrow in it.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

The NBEF says to cock your crossbow in the stand. I find that more difficult to do that flat footed on the ground.

No, I'm not going to forget and leave my crossbow loaded while raising or lowering it, no more than I would forget and leave my gun loaded. That AIN'T gonna happen.

I've cocked mine three times in the treestand and that was after shooting a deer. On a couple of my smaller platform stands it is a case of acrobatics to cock it.

My crossbow is cocked at the truck before I go to my stand. Whether it has an arrow on the rail then depends on whether it is legal or not. IE - before or after legal shooting hours is a no-no..

Every now and then I walk up on deer while easing into and out of my stand location. I stalk my stand from downwind instead of just strolling in to it. I like to be "cocked and ready to rock" if that happens..

YMMV.....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]