Need help sighting in Exomax with Varizone scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

csharkie

Need help sighting in Exomax with Varizone scope

Post by csharkie »

Was sighting in my exomax (that I bought from whitetail hunter) yesterday, using Goldtip Laser II bolts, 100 gr field points.

The cross-hairs are bang-on at 20 yards.

With the speed dial turned all the way up to 350, I am high at 30 yards (~ 1 "), higher at 40 yards ( ~ 3"), and way high at 50 yards (~ 5 " ).

Based on my interpretation, this would mean that, if the speed ring went any higher, I would have to set the speed ring to higher than 350, as I am shooting high.

Since it does not go any higher, what do you folks suggest as my options?

My solution was to figure out where my aiming points are for the various distances. However, I would prefer to use the scope's aiming points as they are much easier to use, and are less prone to error.

Has anyone else encountered this? I also have a Paradox with a Varizone scope and have it successfully sighted in (speed dial is set to ~ 340 ).

Is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.[/i]
csharkie

Post by csharkie »

I forgot to mention that this bow is AWESOME, and was it mint condition, as whitetail hunter had promised. Thanks again Mike!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

csharkie you are going the wrong way with the speed dail/ring, turn it back to around 315-325 and see if that don't do the trick.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
fletch

Post by fletch »

I had the same problem with mine on Sat but the reason was my scope mounting bolts were loosening off with every shot I took which let the scope tip downward. I am going to get some lock tite tomorrow to make sure that does happen again. Maybe that is not the problem but just check it to be sure.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Heres what the paper work states:

"If you're hitting low, turn the speed "down", if you're hitting high, turn it "up". You should also try shooting at 40 and 50yds, and use the same method to "fine tune" the scope. " this has also been posted by ComfyBear...
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
csharkie

Post by csharkie »

GaryL wrote:Heres what the paper work states:
(...) if you're hitting high, turn it "up". You should also try shooting at 40 and 50yds, and use the same method to "fine tune" the scope. " this has also been posted by ComfyBear...
This is my dilemma, I am hitting high, and the scope is already set to the maximum speed, therefore I can't turn it up any more.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Check your scope and make sure it is proply seated, then turn your speed ring back to 310-325 and see where your bolt hits. Also check your flecthing and make sure it is not hitting the rail.. It is also possible you may have a defective scope.

Turn your speed ring back as I stated first and try it.

ComfyBear are the instructions I gave correct on setting the speed ring :?:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?
t=938&highlight=vari+zone

Once you're zeroed in at 20 yds, you should only use the "speed" ring to make adjustments for 30, 40, and 50 yds.

Shooting a 2219 bolt, you definitely will not obtain 330fps.

Like Red Labels has said, set the speed to 300fps, then shoot at 30 yards.

If you're hitting low, turn the speed "down", if you're hitting high, turn it "up". You should also try shooting at 40 and 50yds, and use the same method to "fine tune" the scope.

If you set the speed correctly you should be "right on" at all distances
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
bj

Post by bj »

it looks like you've got a super duper fast bow...i have seen some of these shoot in excess of 360fps...with your speed dial at 350, sure you're going to be high...the only options you have are to establish what the actual yardages are in relationship to the markers in the scope (they should only be out a couple of yards), or change your bolt to a slightly heavier bolt and slow the bow a bit...sounds like you're probably shooting lazers and a change to 2213's will tone the bow down just a bit... (or change to a 125 grain point in lieu of the 100, which i think you are using now ?...the bow will group just a little tighter with the heavier point anyhow 8) )

wayne...
peter p

Post by peter p »

Try unloosening your scope base and lift up on the front of your scope while retightening it.
This will lower your point of impact.
BUCKeYeHunter

fine tune arrow weight

Post by BUCKeYeHunter »

i have been shooting 414gr. bolts balanced 10% forward of center on an exomag and they are matched quite nicely with all my yardage markers on high setting on a varizone.be sure to have properly balanced bolts and and good fletching........even the slightest ripple in vane will affect flight path.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

bj knows.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Tar Heel wrote:bj knows.
And that he do :!: :!:

I think what happened is he sighted in with the speed ring set to high like 350fps...

Needs to set ring at 325fps, sight in at 20yards, then 30,40 using the speed ring to fine tune the xbow. Been there done that kinda thingy :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

If you tell me what arrow and what broadhead weight it will certainly help. Generally you just shoot through a chronograph, change the dial, and go hunting.
csharkie

Post by csharkie »

Bill T wrote:If you tell me what arrow and what broadhead weight it will certainly help. Generally you just shoot through a chronograph, change the dial, and go hunting.
Goldtip Laser II bolts, 100 gr field points