question about triggers- Exomax vs Matrix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ekkie

question about triggers- Exomax vs Matrix

Post by Ekkie »

I've got an Exomax (last generation, full-camo) that's at a machinist to get the mainframe shortened so I can mount a Matrix front end to it. The powerstroke will be really close to a Matrix 380 in length, maybe 1/4" longer (so quite a bit shorter than the 405). I'm wondering, with the added peak draw weight, will the original Exomax trigger be up to the task? Or do I need to get a Matrix trigger unit?

Thanks!
~E
Normous

Re: question about triggers- Exomax vs Matrix

Post by Normous »

Your Exomax trigger will be fine.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Upgrade the trigger...if you're doing that kind of customization on a bow, why not get a Trigger Tech? I personally would not risk it on something drawing close to a 405.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

Ekkie wrote:I've got an Exomax (last generation, full-camo) that's at a machinist to get the mainframe shortened so I can mount a Matrix front end to it. The powerstroke will be really close to a Matrix 380 in length, maybe 1/4" longer (so quite a bit shorter than the 405). I'm wondering, with the added peak draw weight, will the original Exomax trigger be up to the task? Or do I need to get a Matrix trigger unit?

Thanks!
~E

I machined a maxpoint rail and put the riser/limbs from my Grizzly on it. The trigger was fine as a compound, but with the added weight from the recurve limbs it was heavy, so I put a t.tech on it.

If You're putting a forward matrix riser on a rail that's longer than a 380 it should be a real beast. I think the risers on the 380-400 are swept back, but I could be wrong. Jefro
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

Thanks for the replies. I may end up doing a Triggertech; I'm open to it if needed. Based on what people seem to think here I'm leaning towards trying the one that came with the Exomax first though. Maybe I'll ask Boo if he's up for doing a trigger job on the original one to save a few bucks and keep it all Excal parts. :D

Cheers,
~E
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

Just an update on this, in case anyone is interested in the future. I've got a couple of dozen shots on the new bow. I'm sticking with the original Exomax trigger; it's smooth and nice. The powerstroke ended up being almost exactly 1/4" longer than a Matrix 380. I put a flemish string on it from vixenmaster (after these pics were taken) and wow he makes a nice string.

way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

I love the idea. How is it to cock?
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
janesy

Post by janesy »

Cool project!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

jefrohio wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:13 am
Ekkie wrote:I've got an Exomax (last generation, full-camo) that's at a machinist to get the mainframe shortened so I can mount a Matrix front end to it. The powerstroke will be really close to a Matrix 380 in length, maybe 1/4" longer (so quite a bit shorter than the 405). I'm wondering, with the added peak draw weight, will the original Exomax trigger be up to the task? Or do I need to get a Matrix trigger unit?

Thanks!
~E
If You're putting a forward matrix riser on a rail that's longer than a 380 it should be a real beast. I think the risers on the 380-400 are swept back, but I could be wrong. Jefro

The Matrix 310 has a swept back riser, the others (330-405) do not. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Looks nice
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

way123hockey wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:04 am
I love the idea. How is it to cock?
I can't tell a difference between it and a 380.

Obviously Excal has completely discontinued their standard rifle stock entirely; every single one of their models is a thumbhole. Bleh. When I first started shooting a crossbow I thought I'd like the thumbhole stock, but after having used a rifle stock I wouldn't want to change back. The safety placement is a big reason, but also in general I just like them better.

The last version of their rifle stock (the one on this bow) is a little different from previous versions. It's got a slightly taller foregrip and it's all-around beefier. Also it can take a cheekpiece. The downside compared to the previous version though is that it doesn't quite feel as good in my hand; the edges are a little sharp. Minor quibbles. I do wish they'd put finger protectors on the foregrip of this stock, but it's pretty tall so it's fairly safe I guess. I'm not worried much about myself since I'm used to it, but I'll have to be careful to warn other people before letting them shoot it.

Glad you all seem to like it.
~E
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

that came out real nice! bet its a great shooter. good luck in the deer woods .