Arrow question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sliceman

Arrow question

Post by sliceman »

'm new to the forum but a long time Excalibur user( Wolverine/Exocet/ now Matrix 380). I've always used Excalibur's arrows both aluminum and then carbon. I notice that many members here use alternate arrows (e.g. BEE's/zombie slayers/ spinal tapps). My question is: for what reason? Is it the increased FOC allowing a greater choice of broadheads, or accuracy, or both?
sgtkersh

Re: Arrow question

Post by sgtkersh »

I'm new to this, but I have done tons of research and it seems that most gravitate to different arrows for exactly that. A bigger selection of broadheads and accuracy. The stock arrows matched with the recommended Boltcutter broadhead already has sufficient FOC. I think most newer Matrix models use 18" Diablos stock, well mine does at least, and with the Boltcutter, a 150 gr broadhead, the total weight is about 400 gr.

I went ahead and bought a dozen BEE from Wyvern and have to admit they are very nice arrows. I paired them with NAP Spitfires and the total weight is about 409 gr. I shoot them with my Diablos and both appear to be equally accurate to me. They are surprisingly close in POI as well. I plan on carring both in my quiver this fall. 2-3 with Spitfires for whitetail and 1-2 Diablos with the Boltcutter for turkeys.
Matrix 350SE, Hawke XB1 SR, R.E.D.S., Guardian ADF, Diablos with 150 gr Boltcutters, Black Eagle Exectutioners with 125 gr NAP Spitfires, JBK String
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

The OEM Easton arrows are not stiff enough. In fact, they are maybe even a bit brittle; mine broke removing them from 3D targets using a DM puller. Since they are not adequately spined for the task and not spine indexed, in a dozen you'll have some flyers that won't group. They also use a lighter insert and the main reason for this is so you'll buy the 150gn heads that Excalibur sells to get proper FOC, (the selection for 150gn+ heads is thin and they know this).

Are they decent arrows, sure. Will they kill, hell yes! Are they the best arrow out there...very far from it. For 90% of shooters the OEM arrows are fine. I'm not that 90%.

I order shafts and components from SSAS and assemble my own arrows. Not only is the experience enjoyable, but the finished product is better than anything you can buy off the shelf.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

WHat he ^ said! IMO the stiffer the better especially as you go up in draw weigh on these recurve bows. The instantaneous acceleration at the shot is much higher on these bows than on a compound crossbow. So spine stiffness matters.

FOC is achieved with front end weight. A 50gr insert and a 150gr BH gives you 200gr up front. But as Derrick said, there are not that many 150gr heads out there as compared to 100gr and 125gr. You can achieve the same FOC with a 110gr insert and a 100gr BH - and you have lots more BH options.

And also like many on here, I enjoy making my own arrows and strings. I tend toward the more traditional side so a Flemish string and a recurve crossbow work for me. I also fletch my arrows with small 2" feathers for a more traditional look as well.

The stock stuff works great and if all you want to do is kill deer at 30yds or less - then that setup will do that all day long. But if you want to push your accuracy (you may surprise youself at how accurate you can be) then the alternate arrows and components go a long way towards helping you improve the bows performance.

Good Luck!!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....previous posters know their stuff!.... It is not a matter of just throwing $'s out the window for no apparent return just to say, "I have the latest or what every one is using!"....I know people who have nothing but OEM and couldn't be convinced otherwise... so be it!.... but there IS a difference!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings