Thoughts ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

exocet200hunter

Thoughts ?

Post by exocet200hunter »

Ok folks kinda a long story but going to break it down, so had property in 92b ( about 250 acres ) lots of deer, hunting partner got asked to leave the property by land owner although I still have permission to hunt the property.
Reason for hunting partner is cause this is a hour drive to get to from home and about a 400yrd walk to stands and know no one in that area other then land owners.
So, took down stands and got permission for a very small ( maybe 5 acres) of property 5 min from home, seen does and a nice buck 2 weeks ago.
Have not seen anything in a while, decided to put up can tonight to see what's running out there and how often.
Guess question is how long should I wait to check the cam ( have not put any food source out yet ) and still deciding on my thoughts on property in 92 ? Can't really go into detail except that landowner is getting possessive it seems.
longbow joe

Re: Thoughts ?

Post by longbow joe »

I would wait a week on the camera...maby throw some yummies out to draw em in. .ln my 40 years of hunting many spots have come n gone.you have to weigh a hour or more drive to a better spot to a 15 minute drive to a maby lesser spot.......lts all a crapshoot. My favorite story is how i lost a 15 year old gravy deer farm that was 45 minutes away ...l was devastated with no were good to hunt .The next door neighbor a girl l grew up with heard that l needed a spot and said l could hunt in her suburbon 5 acre lot behind her house.l later got 3 145 class bucks out of there in 3 consecutive years. I had literally passed her house about 300 times driving the 45 minutes to my "gravy" spot. My gravy spot had some nice bucks but none like these.Any way l lucked out but the lesson was to keep your head up n ears open for new spots all year long and even though sometimes deer sign might not be obvious there might be a biggun waiting in that new spot.good luck l hope its" deary " there for you.l would love to hunt with friends but fact of the matter is that im lucky to have my spots for me sometimes hunting is a loner sport. My brother and friends all tell me how lucky l am to have good spots but in reality l get of my a $$ and go out of my way to help my landowners all year long not just show up in October like them.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/url] This is one of the bucks l got after loosing my precious spot and being forced in a woodlot with hardly any deer .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

Great buck!! :D
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thanks thackman l like that new profile with that cool bulldog 400.....your a lucky dog. Lol.l killed that buck barely outside the legal "archery " hunting distance to rush hour i -95 ......you cant hear a buck walking at 6 pm there its a "LOOKING" hunt not a hearing one .lol
Normous

Post by Normous »

92B has a good deer population and is the area I deer hunt since 1989 and in that time I have had lost some properties to various circumstances beyond my control, sadly.

The remaining properties I have permission on are very valuable and I do my best to maintain good landowner relationships, ie, personal visits, offers to help, small gifts, sending Xmas cards.

I would let your cameras soak for two weeks then check the cards. Just around Chatham the deer often move from small bushlot to bushlot according to my friend living in the area.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Having any piece of private property to hunt /access is great. Keeping it can be atask - like stated helping out - showing up -other than just before hunting season- little gifts.

I do out of state hunts - I have relative n Wisc. so I'm crossbow hunting there -they own small 10 acre tracts but noting huge or with crops etc.
Just putting out salt blocks helps-- they just passed a no baiting law so some areas aren't gonna hold deer. they just started planting apples etc. should done that 12 yrs ago. lol

lady down the road with the orchard has tons of seasonal deer -wonder why? as of yet no chance to hunt the orchard - she's kinda a tree hugger so I'm trying to get permission on neighboring areas-

this yr I used the parcel search for the county and located a 20 arce treed parcel along a creek at end of huge open field - guy lives out of state - a detailed letter with my hunting plans and asking permission has allowed me access to it! easy to get to -private i'm only hunter . does it have deer ?? I don't know yet - lol
I immedialty sent a gift card for $50 for him to enjoy a meal at local restaurant as a thk you!

you never know till you ask - be detailed about how -when you want to hunt.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I typically put them out and then return in a week. That way I can see what the camera is actually going to see at any given time. And then I can adjust accordingly. iE: foggy morning or rain or whatever can be a problem. I have one camera that seams to have a blurry spot at some time of the day no matter what direction it is facing. Seems it's condensating at a certain temp maybe. It's on it way out probably.
After I am comfortable that I can get a steady stream of pics that are all good quality, I'll stay away for months.

exocet200hunter wrote:Ok folks kinda a long story but going to break it down, so had property in 92b ( about 250 acres ) lots of deer, hunting partner got asked to leave the property by land owner although I still have permission to hunt the property.
Reason for hunting partner is cause this is a hour drive to get to from home and about a 400yrd walk to stands and know no one in that area other then land owners.
So, took down stands and got permission for a very small ( maybe 5 acres) of property 5 min from home, seen does and a nice buck 2 weeks ago.
Have not seen anything in a while, decided to put up can tonight to see what's running out there and how often.
Guess question is how long should I wait to check the cam ( have not put any food source out yet ) and still deciding on my thoughts on property in 92 ? Can't really go into detail except that landowner is getting possessive it seems.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Also to confirm that there are no photo-bombing leaves in the trigger zone
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I had over 450 acres to myself the last 25 years. Slowly over the past 4 years parcels were sold off and no trespassing signs were put up even though the buyers agreed in the sales that I can always hunt there. I stopped going to those properties. Here I sit four years later with not a single place to hunt so I never even bought a deer tag. Land owners who allow hunting know they can lease spots to hunt. I will quit hunting before I pay someone. Got to a point if you hunt you have to buy your own land. CHEERS!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I had a farmer work the death outta me ......actually decided it wasnt worth the slaving to hunt on the property even though it was really good. I couldnt put up with being used.......ended up hunting at a ladys house across the railroad tracks same deer passin by no death camp to deal with . A simple gift card at xmas and a little kind gesture like pet sitting was good for here. Live n learn
Normous

Post by Normous »

longbow joe wrote: A simple gift card at xmas and a little kind gesture like pet sitting was good for her. Live n learn
Lucky guy, she have a cat? :mrgreen:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yes norm .......they were cats 3 of em. Made me feed them ....l mean" us pick n peal " shrimp .... She was an artist you know how weird they are. !. Better than the death camp hay farm across the tracks any day. !
exocet200hunter

I never got kicked off the property my buddy did, I am the one helping out the land owners, little gift around Xmas, etc...
Thing that sucks is going from a huge bush with lots of activity and time spent in learning the deers habits to having to start all over.
exocet200hunter

Checked the cam today, couple of does and 1 big coyote ! Gonna get some food out and check it again in about 2 weeks.