Broadheads for moose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Timbrhuntr

Re: Broadheads for moose

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I am shooting the nap thunderheads in 100 g out of my micro and they are dead on. I have shot a few moose with this head and they worked great. I always call to the bull using the same call he came in on and have had them stop and actually start to walk back to us after being hit. As far as expandables being no good for moose I have a buddy that has shot many moose with his compound and the wasp jak-hammer expandable heads and never lost one ! :wink:
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

I use the wensel woodsman, 150 gr for whitetail and they drop quick. Close to 8 inches of cutting surface and they fly great out of my griz cub. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any big are animal with one.
Rogue_wave

Post by Rogue_wave »

Ontario Savage wrote:I like slick tricks and had them serve me well
What wmu are you headed up to?
Best of luck on the moose hunt!

We are hunting in WMU 34
Drew

Post by Drew »

If I were going for moose I would use the same heads I used in South Africa last year. VPA 3-blade heads...150gr or 175gr. If I include my brother in-law in the count we took 13 animals up to 550lbs. All with one shot, two holes.

The best part about them is you can practice with the same heads you will hunt with and simply re-sharpen and you are good to go. Builds a lot of confidence in your rig. Very durable heads...I'll be using the same heads I used last year. You can't say that if shoot "disposable razor blade" heads.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
rej

Post by rej »

After trying a lot of arrow heads I no longer use expanding heads for anything. Moose have a very tough hide. My experience is that COC heads penetrate best on tough hides. I find the NAP Hellrazor crossbow, 150 gr. will often pass through a moose and shatter bones. It is also easy to field sharpen if needed. I also use the Slicktrick magnum crossbow, 175 gr. Don't know if these are available anymore but you might find some if you look around. They are very accurate and replacement blades are available. Penetration is almost as good as the hellrazor and they are more durable. Moose do not drop quickly when they are arrowed so give them some time. If you don't chase they don't go far.
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

Drew wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:20 pm
If I were going for moose I would use the same heads I used in South Africa last year. VPA 3-blade heads...150gr or 175gr. If I include my brother in-law in the count we took 13 animals up to 550lbs. All with one shot, two holes.

The best part about them is you can practice with the same heads you will hunt with and simply re-sharpen and you are good to go. Builds a lot of confidence in your rig. Very durable heads...I'll be using the same heads I used last year. You can't say that if shoot "disposable razor blade" heads.
X2 I'm not hunting moose but I put a VPA 3 blade 100 grain vented through a whitetail's shoulder and it was still scary sharp afterwards. :shock:
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I've used Magnus Stinger 2 blades and RamCats on Bison with good results. IMO the key is having a heavy enough arrow. I wodl not go with anything under 500gr for moose
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Rogue_wave

Post by Rogue_wave »

So just a quick update

Shot my first moose a young spike bull on Sunday morning at 9 03 am. Shot was 26 yards using a boltcutter. Moose ran about 50 yards and eneded up 25 feet from the logging road we were parked on. Boltcutter did a great job with a complete pass thru from my Vortex.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Congrats on your moose!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mikej

Post by mikej »

Hunt it wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:25 pm
My group has 30 archery bulls to date. 1st item is check the regs but there is NO calf season during archery season that I'm aware of in Ontario. You can hunt with bow in late gun season when calf season is open.
We will not allow anyone to use expandables on our moose hunt. That should give you a good idea of what we think of them. Out guys are using: Bolt Cutters, Slick Tricks and G5 Strikers. As you have discovered the good old Thunderheads are not accurate out of fast new crossbows. I can get 3" groups out to 100yrds with my 380 using G5 Strikers. You do not need a bigger cutting blade if you put it in the right place. The rib bones on moose combined with thick skin/hair are too much for expandables to get good penetration, avoid them at all cost.

Not trying to cause a fight but I think you may have some misinformation there is a calf harvest in parts of Ontario during the archery hunt and in my experience expandables work just fine on a moose with correct shot placement , our group has killed many moose myself included with spitfires rage and Grimm reapers
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
mikej

Post by mikej »

Congrats on your moose by the way
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective