Ex-Shox I like 'em!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MTBighorn

Ex-Shox I like 'em!

Post by MTBighorn »

I just added a set of the new ex shox to my 380 Lynx. And the difference is pretty significant. Not sure if it's quiet(er), but it's surely a softer sound.

I have 2 380's so I set them up as close to the same as possible...arrows, strings, brace heights the same. The Lynx with the Shox and the Xtra without.

Shooting them side by side, one after the other, I can hear quite a change to the sound. The glass ping, and harsh wack sound from the limbs is more of a whunk sound now on the lynx.

I have not added the shrink tube to my hold down springs because I couldn't hear it making sound over the bow going off. Well now with the Ex-Shox on the Lynx, I can definitely here the hold down spring ring.

I spent some time getting the Ex-Shox on nicely. And I'm glad that I decided to try them. The're a nice addition.
ThunderXB

Re: Ex-Shox I like 'em!

Post by ThunderXB »

Wes,

I've been thinking about trying a set of these, two questions:

1) Have you shot through a chrony to see what the speed difference is? (or have you felt you noticed any speed difference?)

2) How easy was the install. I understand one problem is that they have a tendency to fly off.

Thanks
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

Well I have not ever chrono'ed my bows. (even though I have a nice chrono..lol). Not like I could add more gun powder anyway, so I never bothered with loosing sleep over how fast it "really" is. :lol:

The Shox were part of a total cleaning and overhaul so I did not have a sight reference to compare trajectory.

But I can't imagine that the little rubber trusses add enough weight to the limbs to slow them down too much? And the string has just about reached the end of it's power stroke by the time it engages the Shox. The bow does sound slower now though! :lol:

There was not any instructions or even good pictures that I could find so installation was a lot of theory and guessing.

I started by cleaning my limbs VERY well with acetone. There was quite a build-up of string wax in that area of the limbs!

After looking at it a long time, I just set my brace height to 1 inch from the riser joint.

Then (with the paper backer still on) slid the little Shox along the limb, under the string, until the shox just kissed the string. I marked the end of the shox on the limb. I then increased my brace height about 2 twists on the string. This gave me a little clearance between the limb and the adhesive for the next step.

Removed the adhesive backer and "carefully" guided the Shox down the string (trying to use the string to keep me straight, square and plumb) until the shox met the reference mark on my limb, and I just pressed them into place with the string. I finished by rubbing the edges of the Shox down well with a deer antler.

Keep in mind you can practice, measure, and cross-reference, all you want to with the the adhesive backer in place...but after it comes off, 1st contact is where she stays!

I considered setting the Ex-Shox so that the string engaged the REDS at the same time. But I could see from the marks on my limbs that the string was "slapping" the limb tips quite a ways before the serving engaged the REDS...so the this was my reasoning behind setting the Shox to contact the string at the 1 inch brace height.

I took the 2 extra twist out of my string and left the bow for 2 days to cure. I have about 50 shots through it now and the Ex-Shox haven't went flying off yet! :mrgreen:

I hope this is useful to someone, cause I am a slooow typer :D
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

I appreciate the write up and feedback!
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Does either of your bows MTBighorn have the String Suppressors on them? I ordered a set of S5 String suppressors and was just wondering if the Ex-Shox would be redundant or overkill?
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

No I don't have the string suppressors....probably no such thing as overkill, unless you loose too much speed or get too heavy. I use Vixenmaster's strings and his form a small cat whisker ball at each end and these quiet my bows noticeably.

I chose to trim the cat balls off when I added the Ex-Shox because the whisker balls were the same spot as I put my Shox.

Now from further testing, I think that I am loosing zero fps with the Ex-Shox installed.
catclr

Post by catclr »

bigbowman wrote:Does either of your bows MTBighorn have the String Suppressors on them? I ordered a set of S5 String suppressors and was just wondering if the Ex-Shox would be redundant or overkill?
The S5 String Suppressors are the same thing as the R.E.D.S. which MTBighorn has on his bow, and he added the Ex-Shox also.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

catclr wrote:
bigbowman wrote:Does either of your bows MTBighorn have the String Suppressors on them? I ordered a set of S5 String suppressors and was just wondering if the Ex-Shox would be redundant or overkill?
The S5 String Suppressors are the same thing as the R.E.D.S. which MTBighorn has on his bow, and he added the Ex-Shox also.

Oh?..I guess I was thinking of the little rubber stars that go on your string. Thanks Catclr!...so with this info, I can say that the Ex-Shox DO help with sound over and above the REDS by eliminating the string slap to the limb near the tip...The R.E.D.S don't help with this area.
catclr

Post by catclr »

I put the old BRUSH BUTTONS on my Matrix 355, and feel they helped with the string slap at the tips, & cost $4.00.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Well I ordered a pair! I will chrono my bow before and after putting on the S5 String Suppressors and then the Ex-Shox , I will post the results of the speeds. Definitely has to take the slap and loud twang out of the bow? I'm hoping so!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme