String Stretch and Longevity

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GMVT

String Stretch and Longevity

Post by GMVT »

Well I'm learning about something you guys have probably discussed a thousand times. I ordered line bumpers and db killer limb silencers and put them on today. I had to put about a dozen twist's in the line to get enough clearance for the bumpers, and an hour later the line was up against the bumper again! It's a new bow so perhaps there shipped with the string way to long? I have a new string coming in tomorrow that supposedly wont stretch, and I'll keep this one as the spare...we shall see. And now for a question: How long do you guys get out of a string, assuming of course it's well waxed and doesn't get damaged. Do you replace them at regular intervals for safety's sake?
"Deer Are Where You Find Them"
janesy

Re: String Stretch and Longevity

Post by janesy »

A couple guys I know will get a lifetime from the factory string. But that will also be less than 50 shots over the next 10 years if that.

My micro tends to be harder on the servings than anything. I'm reserving 100-200 shots. But I've since had the claws polished so time will tell.

My matrix 355 on the other hand would go 500 plus easy, my strings show the same wear they did after shot #1.

As far as the string itself goes. I can't say I have worn one out yet
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

But to answer your actual question... It's extremely common for the factory string to have settled way too low. Just keep twisting it. Send it up 3/4 off the pads and shoot. It will settle nicely to 1/4 and away you go.

Some folks choose to expedite the process by leaving the bow cocked for 24 hours. Some like that idea, some don't .
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

DB bumpers are 3/8 " longer than the excels. the string should be into the db's about 1/6" into them. don't worry your string will stop stretching in time . if you leave your bow strung up over night that will help stretch it also . have fun with your new bow.
W.M.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Oops missed the DB part. My head was thinking baby bumpers
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I jus retired a string off of my Micro Nitemare after 600 + shots. Nutten wrong wid it i could flip it na get anudder 600 i reckon :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315