??? Spitfire Shooters ???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shoebuck

??? Spitfire Shooters ???

Post by Shoebuck »

I have always shot fixed blade broadheads but this year I am thinking about trying NAP Spitfires. I have read a lot of positive remarks on this forum about this head. My questions are, do you use and trust the practice head, and do your heads shot with your field points, the third and most important: have you had any opening problems on angled shots? I will thank you all for any response that you have to offer, Dave
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
IronNoggin

Re: ??? Spitfire Shooters ???

Post by IronNoggin »

These are all I use, and have used for the past 6 or 7 years.
Great blood trails that end short. :D

Questions:

1. I have never even seen a practice head. I use a regular hunting head, and replace the blades / lock springs before hunting.

2. The 125 grain hunting head shoots almost identical to my 125 grain field points. That from ranges of 20 yards out through 80+.

3. Here's a picture of a whitetail doe I took a few years back now. You can see she was at a mean angle facing away, and that the broadhead shaved her flank a considerable distance before angling in behind the shoulder. Recovery was 20 yards.

I have had several such occurrences with angled shots and (quickly touching wood) have never lost a critter due to taking one.

One concern I do have is that I had a single occasion when a Spitfire prematurely opened one blade (upon firing the bow). Caused a complete miss on a nice whitetail buck. Never had that happen again, but I have taken to banding them with dental bands as additional insurance.

I have been well pleased by their performance over the years and ain't likely to switch to anything else anytime soon...

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

When .....say using a 350 fps and above it cant hurt to band. I actually place 3 small dabs (very small) of rtv silicone on each of the blades with a toothpick instead of banding.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Booge

Post by Booge »

I have used spitfires since the late 90's. They have been very accurate on every thing i have shot them on. I don't even practice with them any more. I use 3/16th medium bands on them and have never had a problem with opening in flight. They are tuff and cause tremendous damage. I don't think I will ever change.
Bulldog 360
Micro 355
Trigger Tech
Zombie Slayers Spitfires
Vixenmaster Strings
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have tried them don't like to have to use rubber bands or dental floss to keep the blades from opening . I have decided to try the new muzzy trocar HBX hybrid broadhead in 125 grain in practice they stayed closed and when they open it has a total cutting surface of 2 5/8 they are very accurate .
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have tried them don't like to have to use rubber bands or dental floss to keep the blades from opening . I have decided to try the new muzzy trocar HBX hybrid broadhead in 125 grain in practice they stayed closed and when they open it has a total cutting surface of 2 5/8 they are very accurate .
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have shot them fer yrs n never had a blade open on me, knock knock on hickory wood :) I have never tried a severe angle shots wid mine. I tried them early on wid a glued blades fer practice, they always stayed wid-in a 1/2" of the field pts all the way out to my 65 yds practice
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ROGER THAT

Post by ROGER THAT »

never had one open when it wasn't supposed to. Using the spitfire doublecross this year. I band them any way. :D :D :D Image
>>====>
Work Hard Hunt Harder
Matrix 380 Xtra (Serenity)
Matrix 405 (cwn annwn)
Matrix Bulldog 400 (Acwellen)
Matrix Grizzly (Armel)
Micro 355 (Siofra)
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

been using SF's for over 20 years now, i have tried a few different heads over the years including some fixed and other mech's but always went back/stayed with spits. . the beginning years with a compound but the most years with my excals. the regular spit with my vortex and the spit maxx with my matrix 355. i have never had an issue with premature opening with any crossbow that i have owned and do not band, nor with angled shots. in the early years i used the practice head and/or a hunting head to sight in with but after several years of doing this and always got the same accuracy with target tips. all heads/tips are 100gr. i now shoot all target tips and screw on the hunting heads when season gets here i know some members frown at not sighting in with hunting heads but i dont follow the crowd(except for crossbow of choice :) ) and do what works for me. i will shoot spits for as long as they make them
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I call the people at NAP yesterday and asked them the difference from the crossbow spitfire and the regular spitfire and they told me the crossbow model has a larger dimple on the spring clip to insure the blade from opening in flight. other than that there is no diff. eh also told me that a dental band is ok to use if you need some insurance. I think I gonna give them a try for hunting with my 335 micro this year. they fly good for me with a 2" blazer and a 16.5 arrow.
W.M.
RobD

Post by RobD »

I picked up some 4-pack Spitfire MAXX from Dicks with the $10 rebate and a coupon, but my kids haven't had a chance to use them yet in the Sapphire during the youth hunt. I also bought a pack of the DoubleCross to use in my faster bow, but I have to wait for the adult bow season still. I did get the crossbow version. Hoping these are good broadheads, what I do read about them is always positive.
Last edited by RobD on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

Thanks everybody for the great info, Dave
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I shot a nice doe with the Nap KillZones last year and am very impressed with them. She didn't go very far.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

W.Miguire wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:17 pm
I call the people at NAP yesterday and asked them the difference from the crossbow spitfire and the regular spitfire and they told me the crossbow model has a larger dimple on the spring clip to insure the blade from opening in flight. other than that there is no diff. eh also told me that a dental band is ok to use if you need some insurance. I think I gonna give them a try for hunting with my 335 micro this year. they fly good for me with a 2" blazer and a 16.5 arrow.
W.M.
Not all accurate....The crossbow points are made a little heavier ..Yes the blades open harder ..Regular 100 gr points can weight up to 103 grs.The crossbow points can weight up to 103/106.9 grs ..Out of 6 points 2 weighted over 106 grs .. :x

as for using the hunting point it is best to glue blades shut with glue on front also on blade OR you will get stuff down inside front of blades..I use the crossbow SF practice point which weight around 103 grs or so...NONE weight 100 grs ..

Glueing is better than using dental floss..The blue cap gel gorilla glued worked good on points.Some use J B BOND also ...
glued point will not go in target very far but overtime targets chew up the blades etc.
practice point is better and pulls out easy ..

using SF from 1996 on non crossbows..until last few years..

They will fly very good in micro 335 ...No need to band the blades but if you feel its needed..On the regular ones YES Iwould put 1 dental band on..SF says the regular points will work on crossbows up to 340 fps crossbow ones from there up..If you band the regular ones they will not open over 340fps I have friends that use them at camp with bands on regulars ..
gwhuntr

Post by gwhuntr »

Midway USA had practice heads couple of yrs ago for $14.
GregO
>>>------->

Ibex
Ten Point Pro Elite Arrows
125 gr Magnus Stingers
Lumenoks