excal crossbows, new and old

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MCA

excal crossbows, new and old

Post by MCA »

hi guys, been away for awhile, (more on the rifle side:)
compared to the old school excals, (I own an older exocet) how are you crossbow veterans who went to the new ones liking them. I like the compact size but is there any concern with shorter limb longevity?

thanks , sorry for the question , was wondering also , are the good folks , Bill and Kath still running things at the factory?
Eck

Re: excal crossbows, new and old

Post by Eck »

I can't talk to who is operating things, but I for one like the "new" bows. I had an ExoMag for ten or so years, and bought a "Micro 335" on a whim. The difference in width was significant, and the stock fits me much better than my old E-Mag. Before all was said and done, a Matrix 380 and 330 were added to the collection thanks to a lucky draw at Boofest last year. I think the slightly larger Matrix series bows fit me best (6' 2"), but that is a preference issue. I've had no problems with the bows, scopes are another story.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
MCA

Post by MCA »

Eck wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:05 pm
I can't talk to who is operating things, but I for one like the "new" bows. I had an ExoMag for ten or so years, and bought a "Micro 335" on a whim. The difference in width was significant, and the stock fits me much better than my old E-Mag. Before all was said and done, a Matrix 380 and 330 were added to the collection thanks to a lucky draw at Boofest last year. I think the slightly larger Matrix series bows fit me best (6' 2"), but that is a preference issue. I've had no problems with the bows, scopes are another story.
thanks ECK!!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have alot of the old, n some of the new. The Matrix models maybe the best of the bunch, easier to cock n have plenty of power. I have couple Micro's but they have become Crank models fer me
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mikej

Post by mikej »

I had an exomax for years it's was a great bow just this year I switched to the grizzley because of the size while I haven't killed anything with it yet I am very impressed with how it shoots and its compact size
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
MCA

Post by MCA »

thanks for the responses
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I can't speak to longevity yet as I have only had the micro for 3 years but so far so good. The exomax I have had for 20 and it was/is awesome but just like I love to carry my lighter 20 gauge over the 12 I love carrying the micro around over the exomax. I have shot several animals with the micro and there is no drop in its killing power or acuracy over the exomax so the max may be stuck in the cabinet like my 12 gauge.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I remember when matrix came out and they were considered small. I bought the 380 and that's as compact and lethal as I need/want to be. She's a perfect 10 to me. The micro sure is appealing but I like fast more
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have a Vortex and a Micro. Hands down I like carrying the Micro in the woods. Just all around MUCH easier to handle, both in a tree or on the ground. In a blind the size is really helpful. It is very very accurate, but that is no change from my Vortex. Ballistic-wise, between a Micro 335 and a Vortex (200lb draw) the 2 bows are about equal, but IMO the shorter arrows of the Micro hit harder and penetrate better because they do not flex as much on impact (because they are shorter). You can't really go wrong with either type as they all perform great, are easy to maintain, and are reliable. Don't get freaked out by all the limb stuff you will find on the internet. That was a process issue that is long solved. My Micro is one of the very first batch made and I have had no issues.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
MCA

Post by MCA »

thanks again
SEW

Post by SEW »

one shot scott wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:20 pm
I remember when matrix came out and they were considered small. I bought the 380 and that's as compact and lethal as I need/want to be. She's a perfect 10 to me. The micro sure is appealing but I like fast more
5 years ago, I got a M380, tried to quieten it by adding Air Brakes, limb dampners, heavy string/silencers, wrapped and weighted Stirrup, shrink wrapped arrow hold down spring, stuffed stock, AND it got very quiet! And heavy, especially with the Optimizer and large Zeiss Duralyt lighted 2-8 scope. Extremely accurate and , as I said, very quiet.

I got a M405 and equipped it identically. Like it even more! But heavy and cluttered though very long range and quiet.

Then I got a BD400 and did the same but lighter string and no Air Brakes. 20'/sec slower than the 405 but gentler.

Then I got a used 405 with coated rail/riser, black limbs, put on a very light custom string, wrapped stirrup, on an Offspring stock minus the cheek piece, XB75. It is very light, uncluttered, beautiful and shooting nearly 370'/sec with a 446g, 20" ST, Carni4 broadheads, Lumenocks with a relatively low FOC which gives a very flat trajectory. It's my primary xbow now unless going to hunt till dark where the other 405 or the BD is used.
Set up the M380 the same as the light 405 except using 380g, low FOC , slightly offset Blazers , 150g Xbow Tricks, 18" STs, and shooting 368'/sec but slightly flatter shooting than the light 405 (much lighter arrow and less fletching drag).

I like the Matrix series over the Micro and BD series. I prefer the BD series over the Micro/Suppressor.

I'd consider a used 405 or 380 or a remaining new M380. I'm 70 and 5'10", in good shape and find the size and performance of the Matrix series ideal for me.

This is way more than you asked but might be of some help.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Great input SEW. 👏
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

I have a hand me down exomag from my father after he passed away and I have the Vortex that I bought new love them both. I don't think I will buy one of the new ones out as all I hear about is problems with the limbs, so I will stick with my old and reliable ones.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
MCA

Post by MCA »

thanks gents!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have owned the Ibex, and Vortex from the long limb series, and both were great bows, went to the Matrix, loved them, but had to try the Micro. All are great, but the smaller size Micro series models require more to cock for the space savings in my opinion. The Matrix models are the perfect blend of effort / size / speed in my opinion, and now I own just the Matrix models.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!