Spooked Deer Return

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Spooked Deer Return

Post by ko4nrbs »

How soon after missing and spooking the deer do they return to the same area?

I missed a big doe a couple of days ago. Hit a tree limb and sent the arrow off into the twilight zone. I did find it after a two hour search. Always look where it should not be first!!

I'll go back Sunday morning and get all set up for the evening hunt. Will stay a few days unless I score. Got a cold front and rain due in tonight but rain clearing out tomorrow night with low temps continuing for a week or so. Sounds ideal to me.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
bobcattrapper

Re: Spooked Deer Return

Post by bobcattrapper »

Deer will spook from any unnatural sound. Unless that deer seen you it has no clue where that arrow sound came from.
Boo

Post by Boo »

It might not have been the wisest thing to do if you want that same deer to return.
I believe that the smarter, the more educated deer, the less likely it will return at all. A dumb deer might be back the next day or 2.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

1st rule of tick toters, they have their area core n travel. They may avoid that area a day maybe 2 tops then go back to their same pattern. Even when you shoot one n its blood flows all over the area they will return. I have killed one deer n 30 min later killed anutter n so on. Worst thing you did was lookin fer yer arrow n puttin scent out all over their travel area, look fer arrows on anudder day when rain is comin in to wsh it away.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Short answer - you never know! :lol:

Years ago I moved a stand and thought I had the perfect set up. A decent buck came in on the trail, looked up in my direction from about 70 yards away, and instantly spooked. I climbed down and went to there he stopped and looked up. There was one hole in the vegetation behind me and I was perfectly silhouetted by the setting sun. I didn't feel like moving the stand, so I cut a small cedar and hoisted it up on a limb behind me to "plug the hole". :roll: Next evening I was back in the stand. Same buck came in on the same trail, never hesitated, and I arrowed him at 10 yards. :D
I had another buck at the same location come in behind me (unknown to me). I moved slightly and he busted out of there blowing and flagging all the way. From that day on he always checked that stand from a distance! I let a couple other hunters sit in the stand at different times a month or two later, and they both reported a 6 point (same buck) busted them from a distance when they thought they had everything in their favor. :lol:
wabi
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

I agree with Boo and Vixenmaster, usually if they spook in my area but don't have a scent confirmation they come right back. When they see or hear something scary and don't smell it or circle downwind to scent check, they aren't that alarmed. I think it take multiple senses to really spook them out.
I shot a doe Thursday morning and a buddy went back to same spot and missed one Thursday night almost walking over the gut pile...obviously they smelled me and the blood but went about their business.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I missed a buck with a muzzleloader once, he took off for 60 yards, I stuffed another round down Smokey, and the buck swung back through. He got a ride in my truck! It might come back, getting scent all over may keep them out for a few days though.
Good luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

One year in firearms season one of our guys shot a few times at a nice buck. Of course he missed it. A few days later it popped up in front of my wife but she didn't miss. So it stayed in the same general area.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

I havested a nice size doe a couple of weeks ago (posted a thread here in the forum) and went back the next day to get my cameras, well to my surprise after looking at the photos the other deers that was with my doe I got were back later that night around three hours after I finished field dressing my doe. So it anyone guess when will they will be back?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
janesy

Post by janesy »

ihunt wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:37 pm
I havested a nice size doe a couple of weeks ago (posted a thread here in the forum) and went back the next day to get my cameras, well to my surprise after looking at the photos the other deers that was with my doe I got were back later that night around three hours after I finished field dressing my doe. So it anyone guess when will they will be back?
They get the luxury of going through their entire life without knowing what their insides look or smell like. Gutpiles are a non issue for them. We used to frequently get moose and deer from the same spot or very close to it. Or I should say we often saw them or sign that they were back within hours
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Human scent on ground changes deer patterns UNLESS its only food source ..This is why the first day you put up treestand is usually best if hunting a Buck...If Buck knows I am there ole sproul moves my spot or wait a week for things to calm down but best is too move stand ...

Lately I am hunting only 1 day in each spot just leave too much scent if you hunt same spot over and over ..Privateland none of this is needed BUT on pressured bucks here in pa on publicland you better be moving your stand..

in fact staying on ground is better way and foggy morning is great...I am seeing more bucks hunting trails on ground than I am sitting in treestand ...
mikej

Post by mikej »

I had the dumbest deer ever last year , borderline suicidal . I spooked him by hitting my blind drawing my compound , then missed him when he came right back , he ran 40 yards came back , spooked him again by hitting the blind again while drawing . Game over that night , went back the next night with old faithful (exomax) jumped him off the bait walking in he came back 30 mins later . Game over for mr 10 pt. i wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective