PA 10 Point

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Basel

PA 10 Point

Post by Basel »

I shot this 10 point last Friday evening. I had been watching my alfalfa fields all summer and I didn't see any good bucks. I only saw a small 6 point and a 4 point. Last Wednesday evening I spotted this guy out there with some does. I went out Thursday evening and set up in a tree along my pasture fence. The does came out behind me on another trail without the buck. About quarter of seven, the buck enters the field opposite me at approximately 200 yards away. He cut across the property line and headed over to my neighbors 10 acre corn field. On Friday evening, I changed my location to intercept him if he took the same route from the previous day. I was tucked in the bushes on the ground along my neighbors fence line with the wind in my face. Instead of coming out from above me as I had planned, he entered the field from below me. He apparently was in the corn field earlier and then jumped the fence on to my place. I whistled to stop him and shot him at about 35 yards with my emag. I pulled the shot (I was slightly excited, you would think I would be over this kind of thing by now!) and hit him in the ribs further back than I would have liked. I caught the liver and this is what finally did him in. The arrow (2216 with a 3 blade Muzzy head) hit some ribs and make loud thwak as it passed through. I gave him 1.5 hours before I started to track. My son Matt and my daughter's boy friend Mike helped me look for him. We picked up a blood trail on the other side of the fence. We could only find blood for thiry yards or so. From the blood line, it appeared that he was heading directly for the big corn field. We looked unsuccessfully for 2 hours going row by row in the corn. Finally we decided to check the woods that adjoin the corn. We searched through the woods and eventually found him there. He weighed 150 pounds field dressed. I have not had an opportunity to examine his teeth yet but I suspect that he was around two years old. Now I have to get busy and work on filling the 4 doe permits I have. Good luck to all during this hunting season.
Phil
peter p

Post by peter p »

Congradulations and good luck on filling the rest of yor tags.
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Great going, Basel!

Congratulations on the good recovery and nice deer!

Mike
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

Nice pa. buck bud!!!.....man that's a good one :D i'm also from western pa, and i have had absolutely no luck at all yet. i have only missed 2 days in the woods since the opener and all i have seen was people, people, and more people. all my trusty secret hotspots are no longer a secret anymore. well nice to see someone from my my neck of the woods shoot a good one like that-----WAY TO GO BASEL 8) -------STEELWORKER
darkhollowarcher

re

Post by darkhollowarcher »

way to go Basil great buck
Bob