No buck this season, by choice.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

No buck this season, by choice.

Post by DuckHunt »

Well, yesterday the temps were in the low 50s (F) and sprinkles occasionally fell but it was the last good chance to get a buck with my bow this season. Today and tomorrow will have temps in the 70s and muzzleloader starts on Saturday. The wind was out of the Southwest which is normal when warm or damp weather is blowing up the East coast from the Gulf. I sat in a stand that I haven't hunted this year due to the wind direction because we normally have north or west-northwest winds. About a half hour before sunset I gave a few grunts on my Wabi call in hopes that anything within earshot would come my way. About 15 minutes later, a 5 point with a decent spread walks directly down the mountain from above me heading my way. He ultimately walks within 7 steps all the while I am recording his travels. I decided it was his lucky day because there are a few really nice bucks that I have on camera that are far more worthy of a tag. It means no buck for the Micro this season, but there is always next year.

Starting Saturday I will be in the woods morning and evening for a full week trying to seal the deal on a few bucks that have been largely nocturnal. Hopefully the chase phase picks up early in the week and one of these big boys decides to move during daylight hours. Here's the main one I'm after.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Re: No buck this season, by choice.

Post by longbow joe »

Be patient l had killed a ton of deer before l started passing some up . After that its easy you cant kill an 8 pointer when your dragging a 5 out of the woods . Good luck
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

longbow joe wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:26 pm
Be patient l had killed a ton of deer before l started passing some up . After that its easy you cant kill an 8 pointer when your dragging a 5 out of the woods . Good luck
Yep!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
catclr

Post by catclr »

DuckHunt wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:16 pm
Well, yesterday the temps were in the low 50s (F) and sprinkles occasionally fell but it was the last good chance to get a buck with my bow this season. Today and tomorrow will have temps in the 70s and muzzleloader starts on Saturday. It means no buck for the Micro this season, but there is always next year.
DuckHunt
Can't you use your crossbow in your muzzleloader or other gun seasons?
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

catclr wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:42 pm
Can't you use your crossbow in your muzzleloader or other gun seasons?
I can and do, but with my luck that buck would hang out all day 60 yards away. :lol: After the opening weekend of the month long doe only gun season, I carried my Micro exclusively. One of the two doe I arrowed this year was during gun season. I'll do that for doe.

DuckHunt
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I use my Hawkins 50 cal flintlock ,open sights for Buck season its great..490 rd ball and patch ....
mikej

Post by mikej »

Ca you carry both bow and gun at the same time when gun season is open ?
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

mikej wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:24 pm
Ca you carry both bow and gun at the same time when gun season is open ?
We sure can. I might have to consider that. I've done that in the past with my pistol and bow during gun doe season. Then I realized there was no use in bringing the pistol. If it ever gets in bow range, I'd much rather take the shot with my bow than with a pistol because it will put them down far more quickly.
DuckHunt
mikej

Post by mikej »

Very true
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective