Ground Blind Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

Ground Blind Question

Post by Farmer »

Have a new area to hunt whitetail. The best section of the farm does not have trees big enough to hang a stand. I am wondering about using a portable ground blind.. Anyone here use one to hunt with thier crossbow?
Any opinion on what I should look for in a blind. How are they to hunt from ?

Work is taking up the majority of my time so I am hoping to find a blind I can grab and set up/take down easily.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: I use an Ameristep Outhouse blind...works great for me her ein the great white north!!!!!!!! i cn also get a winter camo pattern cover for it si I so desire! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Hammer man

Post by Hammer man »

Farmer, I hunt from the ground mostly and look for ambush spots that are down wind of the trail 20 yards out or so. Try to find a shadowy spot in brush , against a stump , boulder etc. I havent used a premade blind as yet but get plenty close to the game, sometimes I use some camoed cloth and put brush in front of it to hide behind,I have several different shades for different areas,and seasons. get a stool or bucket to sit on ,makes the ol back feel better after a long day. Good Luck, Hammer man
BigBear

Re: Ground Blind Question

Post by BigBear »

Farmer wrote:Have a new area to hunt whitetail. The best section of the farm does not have trees big enough to hang a stand. I am wondering about using a portable ground blind.. Anyone here use one to hunt with thier crossbow?
Any opinion on what I should look for in a blind. How are they to hunt from ?

Work is taking up the majority of my time so I am hoping to find a blind I can grab and set up/take down easily.
...I use the WigWam hunting blind....it works great, and it does'nt seem to bother the deer 8) ...one thing that i do is, when i have my shooting windows open, and there's a wind, i put clothes pegs on the window flaps....this keeps them from flapping around....also set up and take down, takes just minutes :wink:
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
Farmer

Wigwam

Post by Farmer »

I just had a look at the wigwam on an American site. Looks to have enough room. Where do you find it here in Ontario?
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

BB, glad to here you like the WigWam, I just purchased mine :) but have not had a chance to actually use it :cry:
Have set it up in the yard a few times to get the hang of it & it is very easy to put up & take down.

Farmer,
I got mine at Archers Nook in London. Cost was $109 CDN plus our lovely gov'ts share.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
gametrail

Post by gametrail »

I use a double bull archery blind alot. They are light weight, and set up in seconds, and lots of room.[ www.doublebullarchery.com] Check them out.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Sportsmans guide has pretty good prices...
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=145626
Image$40 USD
Image$55 USD
CaptainCharles

Ground blinds

Post by CaptainCharles »

Go with the Double Bull Import 5! Loaded with features and plnty of room to use crossbow from without it sticking out the shooting windows! I can almost stand straight up in mine!
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I use an Ameristep Doghouse TSC, plenty of room for a crossbow and sets up, comes down very easily. Friend has a doublebull, they are better but cost 2-3 times as much. If money is no object go with the doublebull. I have no experience with the Wigwam so can't comment.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
hunter elite

Post by hunter elite »

i use the outhouse blind also and so does a buddy of mine and we like then alot.work great with crossbows and there cheap and lightweight too