knife sharpener

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

Re: knife sharpener

Post by mikej »

Has anyone tried the outdoor edge pro ? No need to sharpen just replace the blade . Any thoughts on them ?
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

:wink:
Boo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:09 pm
paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:56 am
No problem with disagreeing. I'm just repeating what knife guys have told me. I'm no pro and I'm certainly not a purist knife sharpening guy.I do agree on the quality of steel and degrees of angle being the what determine edge retention. That being said, the information that I've been given, all things being equal, is that the convex edge is the stronger, more durable edge. Perhaps I've been misinformed but nonethelesss, my results have been impressive.

Paul
The way I see it, a convex edge will resist chipping better. I can't see how it would enhance cutting ability though. But like you, I'm no expert.
:wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Post by newbie »

The work sharp is designed to put a convex edge on the blade. Most people that hand sharpen with a stone do the same thing anyway from not holding consistent angles. There is no huge benefit either way other then edge maintenance. To me it's easier to maintain an convex edge. Again we are talking edge not a full convex grind.... completely different animal.
Cutting thick thin material with a convex edge... no difference. I find the convex works good and to me seems sharper but I can't say for sure either way. But all my knives are Benchmade with good steel. Most hand sharpened factory knives are done on a bigger version of this mini belt grinder.

I've seen some beat up knives not using any power besides someone's arm and a stone as well. It depends on the person using them :wink:

I can and still do use stones..... do I want to spend hours ? Nope I pull out my power tool and walk away with ALL my knives sharp in a few min. It takes longer to pull out the box and set it up. I don't have to often after the initial time with the WS mostly just strop. When I do pull it out I start with a fine grit then to the 2000 with some compound on it.

I do have a few knives I won't use it on. They just don't fit well in the original work sharp unless I do it freehand and that's mostly due to thumb studs.... just too lazy to pull them off every time.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
oldmandoug

Post by oldmandoug »

I have one. Bought it two years ago. It works great! Every pocket and hunting knife I own will shave. Once I showed my wife how easy it is, she is a believer.
HOMELESS VETERANS SHOULD COME BEFORE ANY REFUGEE!!!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

When gutting a deer how do you cut through the rib bones in the brisket area with a Havalon blade?

I use my folding tree saw to saw thru the rib bones. Goes thru like butter!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline

Post by newbie »

I use a Havalon now and I also carry a folder that has a serated that I use to cut the ribs and legs off.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I have file from 1960s and it puts edge on broadhead blades ..Its real fine surface and better than my lansky stones ...It has no name on it but its unreal how it puts edge on knife or broadhead..
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I have been sharpening all my friends and families work and hunting knives for years . I used to do it with files and stones about 20-30 minutes each
(they let them get pretty bad) Now with the work sharp it takes less than 2 minutes.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330