Is anyone deer hunting at 100+ yards?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Is anyone deer hunting at 100+ yards?

Post by Boo »

papabear1 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:02 pm
longbow joe wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:51 am
I blame this question on the hundred yard ravin comercial !
:wink: :lol: :lol:
Yep!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

Out west with my 300 win mag, I whack them to 300 yards. In S Ontario, anything is toast within 200 yards in any firearm season. Bow? 40 yards, but that's me. I know a couple of people going well beyond (I won't say now far) on deer and moose.
I will say that you have to know your prey better than 99% of hunters, be a fantastic shot and last, be extremely conscientious.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I wouldn't shoot at my 3D deer target at 100 yards out of respect for the target.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 pm
I wouldn't shoot at my 3D deer target at 100 yards out of respect for the target.
:lol:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
MicroMan355

Post by MicroMan355 »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 pm
I, would. :D
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Up until a few years ago I hunted a small farm not too far from home. We had a lease there, and there was about 200 acres we had access to hunt, and there was maybe 40 acres of woods. Anyway there was a short crop field that was 80 yards exactly wood line to wood line. Depending on wind directions we could hunt from one side, or the other. We killed a lot of deer there with guns. As I got older that distance seemed to be farther, and farther away. It got to be to where we would hunt from shooting sticks near the end of our time there, but we would off hand shoot them deer for years. My point is simply this, 60 yards in the woods seems like 150 yards on an open field, and is a long shot in most cases. If you hunt in a place where you have long distance open areas to shoot 100 yards, go for it. Just don't be surprised when you don't find your quarry.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
oldmandoug

Post by oldmandoug »

I say NO!!!! The reason I started bow hunting and now crossbow hunting, is the challenge. Just my opinion!
HOMELESS VETERANS SHOULD COME BEFORE ANY REFUGEE!!!
Johnny One Shot

Post by Johnny One Shot »

If I had to shoot over 30 yards, I wouldn't consider myself a bowhunter.
dfinley

Post by dfinley »

The 100 yard shoot really boils down to the math. Even with the fastest of crossbows, at 100 yards, it will take the arrow more than 0.75 seconds to reach its target. Even if you execute a prefect shot and the arrow goes exactly where you aim, the probability is high the deer will have moved by the time the arrow arrives. The crossbow is not a rifle, its an archery device... Yes crossbows are accurate enough for 100 yard shots at targets, but with game they are simply not fast enough.....

The good news is that you as an archer can step up your hunting skills and compensate for the slow arrow and get closer to your game. So plan your hunting setup for a 20 yard shot instead.. if you do that you'll nail that big buck every time. :D
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

NO! when you get out 60 and 70 yards your taking a chance on gimping a deer and leaving one you cannot recover to die a slow dreadfull death. One step even whith their head down grazing is all it takes in the over 1/2 a second it takes the arrow to get there for that OH CHIT! what Happened!

You wanta practice at 100 yards,,, first try it at 50 to 70 in a 10 to 20 mph side wind you will encounter most days in the field. A 10 mph side wind, which is present almost every day when its a calm day, will show how easy it is to gimp a deer in real life hunting conditions,, oh and then use the same rest you have in the field to do it! Very few understand REAL LIFE HUNTING CONDITIONS,, those that do have already spoken!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!