OT: An Interesting Twist...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

OT: An Interesting Twist...

Post by IronNoggin »

Couple days back I was sitting & pining away about not being able to get out there of late. Phone, rang, my brother in law's brother, who despite being a very fine gentleman, no longer hunts. Gave it up when he moved over here from Saskatchewan, and saw the size of the Island Deer.
Turned out he was bored, and looking for something to do... :D

Well, I still have a bunch of trail cameras out there, that I really should reel in as it's quite unlikely I'll be getting out that way anymore this season. Sounds great! Plans made for yesterday afternoon, and Game On.

We met up in mid afternoon, and wandered down Island for an hour and change. Picked up the first couple of cams, while realizing we perhaps should have left a tad earlier, as dusk was now not too far off...

Rolled into the site of the last camera out there. There used to be a couple, but the bear I encountered earlier this fall had nuked one of them. Even though it was no longer there, I feel an urge to wander over adjacent to the area it had been in simply to have a last look at my old natural blind and the area around it. Besides, it was only 1/4 mile out of the way to retrieve the camera that was still there...

When I got there, I could not help but settle into the blind for a few minutes. Felt like being back home, and my mind instantly & pleasantly wandered to so many previous hunts from that exact position. As I daydreamed about past sightings & success, I paid very little attention to my surroundings, until I suddenly realized it was right close to the edge of realistic shooting light. As Melancholy threatened to take over, I began to prepare to wander off and address the mission I had come for...

Then... Movement on the far timberline...
A quick check with the bino's...
A BUCK!! A MATURE Buck!!
And walking right at me!

Suddenly he disappeared behind the last bit of scrub between us, and I readied my ol' stainless smokepole. When he did show, all I could see was the top of head head. There he stood for a full five minutes (felt like a HOUR!) before he took several hesitant steps forward. Then it came to me. Just prior to his showing I had been toying with my aging can call, trying to make it work properly, and taking a fair bit of time doing so before I came to the conclusion that perhaps it was time to replace it. This Buck was actively seeking the "doe" he had heard!!

When he stopped again, I could just so make out his full neck and center chest. Wait for it I thought, surely he'll give you a quartering or broadside... Nope. Time ticking and daylight waning fast now... Damn! I knew that the 150 grain Nosler Partition would make a mess of things on a full frontal shot. So, I slowly and quietly slipped that out of the chamber, and replaced it with a 130 grain Sierra Spitzer. That I thought, should damn near detonate on target...

As clumsy as a teenager on his first hot date, I managed to eventually snuggle the rifle into place - on my left (off) shoulder. I had zipped the scope up to 7 power or so, and it only took a little time before I found the buck in the sight window. Struggling to maintain steady, I realized that even only 85 yards away, in the low light, I did not at all feel comfortable trying for my usual neck shot. Once that passed, I slowly dropped the crosshairs deep into the chest, and POW! The damn rifle went off almost of it's own accord!!

A frantic sweep with the scope turned up nada. :shock:
But I had well heard that unmistakable THUMP of a chest hit, and knew he would not be far. I slowly packed all my gear back up, and wandered over for an initial look. Oh-Oh! No Blood. No Hair. Now getting flashlight dark, and me with only one eye! Damn!!

so, I then wandered over to the site where the camera was, and pulled it. I also signaled my Buddy to get his butt over to me - thinking of course that 3 eyes are better than one. We made the trek back to the area of the action, and began to search the trails heading into the bush. With headlamps. Bit of a sinking feeling, but I could not shake the sound of that bullet's impact... Then my Buddy asked, did you hear him hit the timber? Nope.
If he was hit hard, and running blind, you would have. Yup.
But I continued checking 30 0r 40 yards deep on the second trail, and started on the third. Just then I heard my friend stumble, giggle and say Hey, I just tripped right over him, right on the edge of the timber!! :D

An intense feeling of relief swept over me as I rushed over. A firm handshake and high five, and my first good look at what had been eluding me all this fall. Not a monster by any means, but a Fine, Mature three point Blacktail!!

He was in such an area we did not want to drag him out of - the truck was a mile away, and there was a bit of soft ground between us. So, a quick run to a ranch we well know, a few pleading words, and the offer of a beer or two, and the quad was soon saddled up. We used that to retrieve him, as we could actually horse the machine to within a decently short drag.

Back to the ranch, where we laid him out on the lawn for a picture or two - in the mad look and after I had simply forgotten to do so...

We then cleaned him up and hung him in the barn for a couple days. I suggested to my Buddy he should take half (we don't really need much meat) and he accepted with a huge grin! Made me feel even better!! Turned out that Spitzer did pretty much exactly what I was hoping. The heart and both lungs were pretty much destroyed, but the impact did not even touch the liver, nor diaphragm. Did not lose even an ounce of meat! Excellent!!

Another Buddy called this morning, and he too took another fine three point not far away from where we were. Upon reviewing the game cams, and watching a big Deuce chase around a willing doe on the rancher's front lawn (well after dark) I've come to the conclusion the second rut must be in full swing on the mid-Island right now. I would therefore suggest that any who are still looking get out there as in NOW!!

Don't forget your Lucky Shirt (I will elaborate on that in a later post...)

Never over until it's over it seems. The fine fellow that was with me yesterday called just now, suggesting he is going to get permission on a closer ranch he saw 9 does and 3 bucks on just 2 days ago! And another good friend called just before him, asking if I could go tomorrow morning to help him work another buck he knows of. Of course the answer to both was a resounding aYup!! :wink:

Quick twist of the Hunting Fates, and the GRIN I wear today could not be removed with a wire brush!
Not too damn shabby for an aging, one eyed fat man!! :lol:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xcaliber

Re: OT: An Interesting Twist...

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

In spite of your current situation, you are doing fantastic! Congratulations Matt! :D
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Beauty buck man!

A big comgrats...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the black tail
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on the fine buck, nice write up enjoyed the read.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

That's a DAMN FINE blacktail Matt! So glad you're season is coming to a close on a very high note. Congrats on your well earned ghost deer buddy! :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

Nice deer congrats
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Wow what nice buck Matt! Congrats!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

That's a nice blacktail! They don't live where I do, but I have shot one in CA in the Camanche Hills area that looks just like that one.
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

Dude great read! That buck is awesome as well, congrats

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Many Thanks for the very kind words Folks! Well Appreciated!!
Took a day or two to get back to this one...
Been working it you see.
No Joy last night, but some mighty big boots passed by the one spot several times in my absence...
IronNoggin wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm
Don't forget your Lucky Shirt (I will elaborate on that in a later post...)
Bit of a story here...

Last time I was hunting Africa was in 1996. I was having a hell of a time working one older Kudu Bull that I really wanted to out-fox. About day eight on him, we decided to come back to town and re-group. Took a day or two down to do so. During that time I ran into a Buddy who was working on the Painted Dog Research Program. Always had a liking for those wild dogs, and was quite fascinated by some of the things his team were discovering. Upon parting he handed me a shirt with their Research Logo and a large Painted Dog on the front of it. "Funny thing, but since we had these made, and started wearing them, our luck with the field work has jumped tremendously. Perhaps it will help you in your pursuit of that old Kudu"...

Not being a believer in such things, I grinned as I accepted the shirt, and made plans to return to The Quest the next day. Upon arrival back in camp, we completed a quick search for my quarry, and tentatively identified the area we thought he might be in. The day following I was chuckling as I put on the Painted Dog shirt, and remember mumbling Well, let's see if you got what it takes...

Several hours later found me in a stalk of some distance, that I felt internally was going to pay off. When it did, the action was explosive, with the Big Bull suddenly appearing at about 100 yards. Some quick shooting, and that particular Quest was over...

In several other hunts on that trip, I "tested" the shirt out to see if there was anything more to it. Although I did not always shoot, it seemed I always had an opportunity to do so when wearing it. Felt kind of strange, but I simply accepted that for What Is...

Jump forward through many years, and many seasons. I do not abuse the power of the shirt, and only put it on when conditions seem to warrant it (as in I am getting frustrated or desperate... LOL). And MANY more times than not, I have ended up shooting my best critters while wearing it.

Now of course it is a tattered rag. It can no longer be washed, for it will certainly head to it's complete demise should that happen. The Missuz has tried to toss it - ONCE! She never will again. :wink:
More holes in the damn thing than there is material any more, and yet it remains one of my most cherished possessions.

So, they day of the hunt I described above, I fondly took that old rag from it's hiding place at the bottom of the drawer. And stood for a rather long moment recalling the great many successes it has wrought over the years. Actually mumbled Let's see if we got it in us one more time old fella as I ever so carefully put it on. And you know what, it very much appears it (and perhaps to some extent I myself) still do...

When I rolled in and took my jacket off, my Lady giggled and said You and that old rag make a fine pair, you're both in about the same shape these days. But damn nice to see the two of you can still Git 'Er Done... :lol:

Many Thanks My Dear! Image

Cheers,
Nog - Saddling up and headed out for the second last day...
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
mikej

Post by mikej »

Wow nice buck and even better story
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Passed a spike and medium sized Deuce last eve.
Felt good doing so alright.
Big Boots has one evening left to make an appearance...

Here's Hoping!! :D

Best of Luck
to all spending the last day of the 2017 season Out There...

Cheers,
Nog - Saddling Up...
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Finished the season off in the same blind as last Tuesday.
Saw several does, and the ever present spike.
Just at dusk, another decent sized body appeared along the timberline, freezing and checking out the scene below.
Studied him quite carefully, and recognized his two by three frame.
A rather young buck with lots of growing to do yet...

Carefully aimed, recognized I can do that on the wrong side, and wished him All The Best.
See you next season partner I mumbled as I unloaded the rifle for the last time this season.

Been an up and down one for me.
Thankfully the bear and the 3 point came along, and we will be OK for grits.
Hope by the beginning of next season I can shoot the way I am used to...

Felt good sitting in the blind again.
Loads of fine memories from that spot.
Paid my respects to the area on my way out, and openly let it know, I'll be back... :wink:

And thus ends the 2017 Blacktail season on The Rock..

Cheers,
Nog