Which new head to try for 2018?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vpsaline

Which new head to try for 2018?

Post by vpsaline »

I'm interested in trying a new broadhead for 2018. I like the NAP Lineup and two heads have caught my eye. Which of the two do you think I'm best off trying first?
  • NAP DoubleCross (crossbow)
    NAP SpitfireMAXX (crossbow)
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
NEPAbowhunter

Re: Which new head to try for 2018?

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Looking forward to trying out Rage's newest offering for 2018. The Rage Trypan crossbow :D It looks to be their Trypan 2 blade head with a new Red polymer crossbow collar.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Normous

Post by Normous »

Last season I suggested the NAP 100 grain 2" cut XXX similar to the MAXX shown above to two serious crossbow hunters in my workplace and both gave very good reviews this season after using this this mechanical.

I will be attending the 2018 ATA Jan 11-13 and plan to give the excellent NAP broadhead selection a visit to view any new products for 2018.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I would go with the spitfire.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
mikej

Post by mikej »

I love the spitfires they work amazing , but I like the look of that double cross would be interested in hearing your report on it if you try it
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am also a Spifire Fan, have the FOC's n XXX 2" n the 1 1/2" also like the Hell razor
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

I think seeing this video sealed the deal for me. SpitfireMAXX it is!

https://youtu.be/hpcCxy6BVew
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That put a quick end to that hog, I'm impressed as well.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

my first time nap double cross -- check contest story!

I bought again! hell of a hole at a 1/4ing angle. 30 yrds - sank to fletching full length 20 in bolt with a 3 in exit slash

the one blade cut thru the top rib bone

as far as mechanicals -- NAP doublecross - grimreapers and gravediggers will be involved in any of my future archery/ crossbow hunts
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I cant vouch for the newfangled one but the spitfire maxx has killed all kinds of stuff for me. Its got a nice wide cut its basically bullit proof. I can almost guarantee it will fly like your field points. Nap makes good stuff you cant go wrong. Im just old school the three blade is all you need.why go crazy blade happy.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

NAP spitfire ..BUT its a broadside point ..You would not like to hear all deer that were wounded with mechinicals this season..Terrible.. :cry: :cry: :cry: My brother wounded 2 at our camp alone and never found he will not wait for broadside shot taking angle shots and hitting bone..MANY of the others wounded deer also with spitfires..

brush is so thick here that you do not get open broadside shot at times and most are not like me and let Buck walk if I cannot get broadside shot..Just in our group 9 deer were wounded and never found terrible isnt it ..

When they used fix points very seldom lost a deer ...

Folks will not let Buck pass and its brown its down thinking of most ..Very sad what i am hearing .. :cry:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

vpsaline wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:16 pm
I think seeing this video sealed the deal for me. SpitfireMAXX it is!

https://youtu.be/hpcCxy6BVew
Remember only 1 thing using mech blade as that pic of yours showed..BROADSIDE shot ..How many can do that when a 8 point buck is angling away in brush?Most NO ...Soooooooooooooo if you are not a broadside hunter like me stick to fix points and Slick Tricks 100 gr are real good one ..Trust me many wounded deer in my area from angle shots and spitfires..I am fan of spitfires and all i use but i bet close to 30 bucks i left go with those points that I could have shot with fix point..
artifact

Post by artifact »

sproulman wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm
My brother wounded 2 at our camp alone and never found he will not wait for broadside shot taking angle shots and hitting bone..MANY of the others wounded deer also with spitfires..brush is so thick here that you do not get open broadside shot at times and most are not like me and let Buck walk if I cannot get broadside shot..Just in our group 9 deer were wounded and never found terrible isnt it ..

Glad you posted about a reality that most don't want to discuss or admit to! I had posted about my buddy who found a dead buck that was hit with an arrow, 5 or 6 different guys called him to see if it was the buck that they had wounded and got away.
Maybe not all are bad shots, I just watched a video where a buck jumped the string TWICE, the first arrow hit it low in the brisket and the deer stayed in the immediate area, then came back into range and the second arrow glanced off its back and then it took off, definitely was an interesting video to watch and that was one lucky buck!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Try a Ramcat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsiM_iwmcNo
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have shot many many a deer with a spitfire, mainly quartering away some slightly quartering to me . And harvested every one. I dont know what you guys are talking about. Your not aiming at the exit hole or something. ....yes a fixed blade might be a little better in a quartering to you shot ,but its not the silver bullit only thing that works. Bone is bone ....dont shoot at it. Lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.