308 Banshee Short reveiw

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

yar

308 Banshee Short reveiw

Post by yar »

Just received my new 2018 308 Short Banshee 2 weeks ago . Here's my initial review.

My Measured specs :

Weight complete with all packaged accessories (minus quills) w/ Nikon Bolt XR scope:
7 lbs 14 ozs.

limbs width cocked 21 15/16 "

uncocked

25 "

Length including stirrup
30 3/8"

Power stroke
8 1/2"

I shoot the factory quills w/100 grain field tips at a total weight of 354 gr.
Speed recorded at 5 Ft was 300-301 average .
I sighted my Nikon in with main crosshairs at 20 yds and was able to stack all shots touching at that yardage
I moved back to 30 yds withe arrows hitting 2" low with next lower ring and all arrows touching. Impressive accuracy. I have not shot at 40 yds yet but will in the coming days.
Cocking is short and quick and not taxing. Trigger is impressive and probably the best factory Excalibur trigger I have with no grittiness and predictable crisp release. There is no vibration at shot which I attribute to the short power stoke and suppression add on's . The noise is well suppressed with no baseball bat ting.
I bought the bow to use in my tower blinds which have compact interior dimensions and have now used the bow and it definitely allowed more maneuverability within the blind . I am 5' 10" with fairly long arms and found the bow well balanced and easy to shoulder and fit me well. If some of larger stature wanted to use this bow I feel they would not have a problem and the add on extension pad Excalibur offers would allow even more to use this bow.
My overall impression intentionally is this bow is going to be a winner for Excalibur. Those who are hooked on to riding the speed train may not give this bow a second look due to its lower speed rating and others will pass it off as a Kids and womens bow but I think would be selling this bow short. On the other hand those who are looking for a compact ,accurate real hunting bow that allows unlimited potential in the deer woods with no handicaps would be well served withe this bow.
I will continue to report my experience with this bow in the near futue.
LongCarbine

Re: 308 Banshee Short reveiw

Post by LongCarbine »

Nice report
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

300 fps is pleanty fast. Thanks for sharing.l love the bolt scope as well.on some of my bows 330,lbex i had to file an extra notch to get the rings a tad closer was this needed on the mount ?
Last edited by longbow joe on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Nice review sounds like a winner of a bow my question is what is the difference between the 308 and the 310 does the banshee use the micro limbs the bows seam very much alike to me.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

how did you find the cocking on this model?. i will say i have a custom Micro 335 that the rail was cut to a similar 308 length a while back and i find it near as painful to cock as my 335 Gen 1.the duration is just a bit shorter. it threw me a bit because with the old long limbers models and the Matrix models the shorter rails seamed nicer to cock. maybe they need to make a limb length size in between the 2 models :lol:
yar

Post by yar »

I found the cocking short and quick while being only moderately stout .Now this is also my first Micro Limb Excalibur so I do not have any experience to compare it to. I would also think the Micro limbs being shorter and stouter load the energy over their entire short power stroke vs the Matrix longer limbs and longer power stroke .
Last edited by yar on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yar

Post by yar »

gerald strine wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 am
Nice review sounds like a winner of a bow my question is what is the difference between the 308 and the 310 does the banshee use the micro limbs the bows seam very much alike to me.
The 308 has an 8 1/2 " power stroke vs 10 7/8 " for the Matrix 310. The 308 uses Micro limbs and the 310 uses Matrix longer limbs. The 308 is overall shorter but still manages to get nearly the same speed . I would think the 310 would be more forgiving with the longer limbs theoretically. My shooting so far has proved to me the 308 short to be forgiving out to 30 yds so far as thats as far as I have shot it to this point
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sounds like a great short model. Good luck with her.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mikej

Post by mikej »

Sounds like a sweet bow
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Froghunter

Post by Froghunter »

Yar,

Do you have any updates or more thoughts about or with the 308 Banshee? Have you finalized your set up with this bow?

Thanks!

Froghunter

PS: If others have experience with the 308 Banshee or Short...Please share!
Deerhide Brown Vixen, Vari Zone Scope, Flemish String,
GT Swift Pro 18”, 110 Grain Insert

Silent Night (308 Short), Dead Zone Scope, Flemish String, B.E. Zombie Slayers 15”, 110 Grain Insert

😎
silentshooter

Post by silentshooter »

I recently got a 308 banshee short and its amazingly light, and accurate because I can handle it better. Bow is quiet and seems plenty fast I can barely tell the difference between it and a micro 335 raid I also recently bought. Love these bows. I've shot compound crossbows for years and still own a ten point nitro RDX and Horton RDX. But after getting these excalibur's I have been shooting them much less they seem so much heavier and sensitive to tuning compared to the 308 banshee. Lovely bow! Get one if you are on the fence! It is much more compact than a Micro 335 or even a micro 355 suppressor. Drawing is super easy short stroke. Its actually easy to overcock it because the draw is lower and shorter than the other bows. Not just for kids and women. If you want a compact bow to spot and stalk this will be my choice every time.
Tennessee Rebel

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

More compact than a Suppressor? Sounds very tempting. Wish I could see one in person!
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Thanks for the reviews gentlemen, the 308 Short would be an awesome treestand bow when hunting thicker cover...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

I shot the 308 Banshee at The Harrisburg, Pa Great American Outdoor Show and was very impressed with it. It was very accurate(only 2 shots but both were either touching or as close as possible as could be)quiet, sturdy feeling and the trigger felt very good... I would have liked to have fired it more but the show was really busy and there was a line of people waiting to fire the new crossbows. I will say that I had made up my mind on the spot to purchase one but then In the next couple of days I ran across a Micro 335 Nightmare priced that I couldn't turn down and bought it instead. It doesn't change my views on the Banshee though and there could be one in my future sometime down the road.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
Froghunter

Post by Froghunter »

Interested in this crossbow as a second bow! With the growth of the housing development in the area and the safety factor of these short range hunting tools...May have to take a road trip to Woodys Sportinggoods or Lancaster Archery to shoulder one and firer a couple of arrows down range!

Thanks Guys for the input!

Froghunter
Deerhide Brown Vixen, Vari Zone Scope, Flemish String,
GT Swift Pro 18”, 110 Grain Insert

Silent Night (308 Short), Dead Zone Scope, Flemish String, B.E. Zombie Slayers 15”, 110 Grain Insert

😎