Sprayed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Benny

Sprayed

Post by Benny »

Help!
My buddy was out hunting tonight and as he was walking out he got sprayed by a skunk. What's the best means of getting the smell off my hunting clothes?
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Go to the vet and get some "skunk off". Maybe they sell it at Petsmart, or the other big chain stores too, I'm not sure.

The stuff is worth it's weight in gold. I had a dog that got nailed once, I used that stuff and he slept in the house the next night.

Mike
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

if you can't find skunk off try tomatoe juice.
thanks philip
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

It's good cover scent. Tell him not to wash it off.
kendo kid

Story

Post by kendo kid »

Benny we are dying to hear the story of how he got sprayed. Did he try to pet it?
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sucks to be him!!!!!!!!! Good cover scent though!!!!!!!!!! Would love to hear the story!!!!!!!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Hang the clothes up for a while in the breeze till the smell "tames" a bit...Scent cover.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Dale Duryea

Post by Dale Duryea »

as a wildlife control agent I get skunk smell on my clothes from time to time .What I use is a product called sport wash scent destroying laundry detergent by sno-seal . You can find it in most sporting goods stores or walmart it really works wash them in the machine and dry as any other. it also removes stains of any kind . Hope this helps I buy it by the 34 oz bottles. good luck
Dale Duryea
Benny

Skunk Spray

Post by Benny »

MIke,
My friend was out deer hunting when he spied a buck a distance away. As it was getting dark he couldn't see the size of the rack so he decided he would try and stalk it to get a closer look. As a result he was looking at the buck and not where he was walking. To make things worse, he shot at teh skunk only wounding it and then he had to use another arrow before killing it. He managed to get one bolt back but the other is still in the skunk buried in the ground. I did come across a skunk spray remedy. It uses 1 quart or liter of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup or 50 ml of baking soda and 1 tsp or 5 ml liquid soap. Don't put this stuff in a sealed container and use gloves. Good luck.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I hesitate to ask, Benny, but how is it that he got sprayed and YOUR clothes got to smell?

:D :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
cdngunner...

Post by cdngunner... »

Dale Duryea wrote:as a wildlife control agent I get skunk smell on my clothes from time to time .What I use is a product called sport wash scent destroying laundry detergent by sno-seal . You can find it in most sporting goods stores or walmart it really works wash them in the machine and dry as any other. it also removes stains of any kind . Hope this helps I buy it by the 34 oz bottles. good luck
Exactly, Any product on the market designed to eliminate human scent also is good at getting rid of skunk scent.

My dog got sprayed last fall and again a couple of weeks ago, My hunting scent eliminator worked both times.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I would argue that skunk is a terrible cover scent rather than a good one. When a skunk sprays, it is because of danger. To a deer, skunk smell means danger as well.
Here where I live, there are no poisonous snakes, viscious bears or mtn lions, or anything else in the woods that is very dangerous. My worst fear from critters is running onto a skunk while walking out in the dark to a stand. It hasn't happened yet...so knock on wood.