Nocks and Broadhead types

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IowaXbow New-b

Nocks and Broadhead types

Post by IowaXbow New-b »

Been hunting deer with muzzleloader and bow for a while now, but new to hunting with a crossbow--just got a permit in Iowa because a bum shoulder no longer allows a compound bow. Bought an Exocet off eBay and I think I am going to like this a lot.

Couple of questions - bought new Excalibur bolts from Cabela's. They came with inserts into the bolt at both ends. The Barnett bolts I bought (wanted something cheaper to shoot into the ground at the end of the hunt as you all had advised) had the small crescent recepticle for the string. Do I use standard nocks like in my compound for the Excalibur carbon bolts? If not, where do I get the crescent nocks like those in the Barnett bolts?

I bought Muzzy broadheads..100 gr. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks in advance for my dumb questions--hope to posting some pictures of upcoming successes with my new weapon.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

INSERTS FLAT BOTH ENDS for EXCALIBUR :!: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
morepowr

Post by morepowr »

I have never shot Muzzy's before, but a guy I work with swears by them as the best broadhead. He says he has shot many a broadhead, but these are the stronger ones plus they have replacable blades and tips. i plan on using them this season.
Digger

Post by Digger »

GaryL wrote:INSERTS FLAT BOTH ENDS for EXCALIBUR :!: :wink:
Moon nocks can cause a dry fire as the string is held from the top and not from the bottom as Barnetts do and if the string is not in the right position it can jump over the bolt. Heat the bolt if its aluminum take out the moon nock and put in a flat insert.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Basel

Post by Basel »

I currently shoot 100 grain Muzzys. I have killed four deer with my emag. All were rib shots and pass throughs. Some shots left a good blood trail others did not. The Muzzys will work fine for you. I recently purchased some Magnus 2 blade heads that I want to try in the future. They are easier to sharpen and will provide better penetration if I accidently catch the shoulder blade.
Phil
A.W

Post by A.W »

The inserts at the rear of the bolts are for using the Excal arrow puller.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
striper

Post by striper »

I have had 100% success with NAP Spifire 100 grain broadheads. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

I've had 100%sucess rate with the Wasp Jak-Hammers 75 and 100 grains.