Wind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tkstae

Wind

Post by tkstae »

I spent the weekend hunting Whitetails in one of the best areas in the state. The wind was blowing 25 to 35 mph the entire time. I saw a few deer, but they all acted like they were seeing ghosts. Never seen Deer act that spooky. Anyone else have that problem while hunting in high winds?
A.W

Post by A.W »

Could be with the high winds and the air swirling they were spooked because they couldn't zero in on the direction of the scents in the air.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Right on A.W. but I have had that work fer me also. I had done got my buck for the season so was out for doe the wind was blowing in all directions it seemed, found me a spot to parl by back side sorta out of the wind.

I was there about a hour and was about ready to give it up when here she comes right down the trail. She was skittish looking and ears up but came within 25 yards of me and it was deer in the frezz, she didn't know what happened. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Deer, understandably, hate high winds. It takes away their 2 best senses. Usually they prefer to wait it out or feed at night, but if they do move in it, they are extremely cautious and paranoid.
Greg
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

Not only do they have trouble zeroing in on scent, but they have the same problem detecting movement that you or I have. With leaves and branches waving around and everything seems to be in motion, it's really hard to see what my be a predator, or prey for that matter.
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
kendo kid

wind

Post by kendo kid »

I gave up hunting Hhgh wind last year. I don't go out if it is over 25 Km/h. Last year in WMU 82 I had three does come in early to feed. They were jumpy but hungry. WMU 82 is reputed to be the highest point in Ontario so it blows there most of the time. However, on that day it was gusting 35 to 40 Km/h. On a twenty yard broadside shot the arrow never made it to the deer. It stuck in the ground just infront of the hind feet. Now some of that error is probably mine. But a good chunk of it was the wind. In high winds I can not be confident I can control the point of impact. I want a quick kill and the wind make me unsure of my impact point. I wonder if EXCALIBUR as done any studies on the movement of the arrow based on wind speed and angle into the wind.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
xboman

High winds and deer

Post by xboman »

One thing is certain about deer.
They will do what they want, when they want....Just like you.

If your determined on going out during any weather, you'll go & so too will deer when their mind is made up. Only, don't expect the deer to be calm and relaxed.

It has been my experience that deer out during "extremely" high winds are excessively nervous, very uncomfortable, easily spooked, and most certainly very jumpy and continuously dodging around in a stiff legged fashion, never staying put in the same place.

I was myself uncomfortable about attempting a shot while the deer acted so uneasy. And I therefore passed. May I add that I thoroughly enjoyed seeing what I saw.

Another thing is certain, be out in the deer woods or in the fields as long as you can.........deer certainly won't come to greet you in your deer shack or underneath your blanket covers.
striper

Post by striper »

Compare a deer walking around in a high wind to a man walking around in the dark over really rough terrain. They have to be more careful when they lose both their nose and eyes because of all the movement in the woods. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.