weight and flight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

doe hunter

weight and flight

Post by doe hunter »

Hello; got a Bulldog 330 for Christmas and love it, and getting stuff lined out. bought some BEE and shooting 125 grain field points and Slick trick 125 grain broadheads. Can hit a go cup coffee lid 4 out of 4 at 45 yards. Would like to try lighted nocks. My question is if I went to a lighted nock would I need to go up in front weight? Now I know I will get replies back that will say buy some and see, and I really Do Not Have a problem with that and I would love too. but, I am a disabled vet. and like so many of us today living on a fixed income just do not have the money to buy 3 lighted nocks $30 plus then have to buy different broadheads $35 or more. Thanks and all have a safe 2018
SEW

Re: weight and flight

Post by SEW »

To give a good answer, more things need to be known: length arrow, vanes used ( & wt if not SK300s or Blazers since the weights are well known) and configuration, weight of current and proposed nock, insert weight as all these all factor into the final foc.

Also, maximum range desired . Foc becomes much more critical as range increases.
doe hunter

Post by doe hunter »

ok my bad BEE are 18 and 2 inch blazer and Lumenoks flat I think they are 28 grains no farther than 45 yards.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Using 125gr points you'll be fine with Luminoks.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
doe hunter

Post by doe hunter »

Thanks Paul
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

what weight insert?

Some thoughts.......... lighted nocks are cool to see fly, but if you are hunting on the ground you can still lose arrows even with the nocks. Then you just lost more $$. If hunting from a tree, then no need as the arrow will be stuck in the ground.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm
what weight insert?

Some thoughts.......... lighted nocks are cool to see fly, but if you are hunting on the ground you can still lose arrows even with the nocks. Then you just lost more $$. If hunting from a tree, then no need as the arrow will be stuck in the ground.

As a generalization, that's true.

However, after I shot my elk, I went to where the arrow should be, but in the tall grass it wasn't to be seen. So I went to track my elk and deal with it. Later, I came back in the dark and that arrow was well covered by grass but that nock was like a beacon. I may have found the arrow anyway, but it might have got stepped on first. Or, maybe I would have been in too much of a hurry to do a methodical search, and it would have been left behind.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Just going over some answers and Paul is right they shoot the same for what I shoot. I can tell from experience they help a old guy like me see where the arrow hits and it helps find it after the shot . I have only lost one arrow in all the years of shooting a crossbow from the ground. I use them because the arrow fly so fast I can't see where the hit because they go threw so fast. if you want to practice with them I would go with the stock flat nock with a set screw that makes up the total weight of the lumen nock .that's what I do .go a head and get you some and try them. I am sure you will not be sorry.JMO
W.M.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I'm about 50/50 with them. I did find one just as you said Hi5, just barely sticking out from under a log. Didn't see it at first but then saw it after dark. But if the area if flat with lots of leaves and it just buries under that stuff, or if the ground is soft or really thick weeds like in a river bottom then they are gone. I lost 2 like that.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
doe hunter

Post by doe hunter »

W.Miguire wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:22 pm
Just going over some answers and Paul is right they shoot the same for what I shoot. I can tell from experience they help a old guy like me see where the arrow hits and it helps find it after the shot . I have only lost one arrow in all the years of shooting a crossbow from the ground. I use them because the arrow fly so fast I can't see where the hit because they go threw so fast. if you want to practice with them I would go with the stock flat nock with a set screw that makes up the total weight of the lumen nock .that's what I do .go a head and get you some and try them. I am sure you will not be sorry.JMO
W.M.
I am 66 and had both eyes cat. removed last Aug. So anything would help too :wink: