I've been out twice and couldn't help noticing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Vince

I've been out twice and couldn't help noticing

Post by Vince »

the deer this year in the area of Lanark i'm hunting seem really skiddish.
Anyone else hunting Lanark notice the same?

I was out the Thanksgiving weekend and had a small cub bear visit
my deer bait (apples/cracked corn). It was so small, i thought it was just a big racoon.

It came in around 6:45 a:m, munched on a couple of apples and was gone by 7:00 a:m.

At about 7:45 a:m a doe and fawn were headed for the apples and then changed their minds, they walked back out the way they came.
About 15 minutes later a small 7 pt. walked in without a worry in the world.
As he approached the apples, he went into high alert only to leave a few minutes later.
I figured mamma bear must be around. However, no other bear showed-up.
At around, 8:30 a:m, the same 7 pt. showed-up and walking stiffed legged towards the apples.
He offered me the shot and i didn't waste anytime.

Last weekend, the same sort of deal with exception of any bears.
A small 4 pt. walked in around 5:00 p:m and heading straight for the apples, he stopped dead, looked away from me and walked back the same way he came in.
About 5:15 a bigger racked buck came-in from the opposite direction of the 4 pt., he did the same thing.
Long story short, that 6 pt. turned out to be a wide racked 4 pt. He semi-circled the apple pile about 5 times before he finally eased himself up to a lone apple off to the side of the apple pile.
I waited for him to get comfortable and just as he was lowering his head for another apple, i let the bolt zing.

Two outings two bucks, but my question remains.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

nope and Congrat's on the two BUCK a roo's :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Perhaps the bear are also making daily visits, and leaving their scent at this bait. Are bear new to this area or have they been around for some time? If they are new maybe this scent is causing them to be unsure. Or the deer have come into the bait and the bear has been there and now they are just being extra cautious as they approach.
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Yes, i too noticed how alert the deer are in Lanark. Saturday evening I took a stand overlooking a small field with a couple of apple trees. A doe and fawn came out about 100 yards away. The doe was constantly looking around and not relaxed at all. This went on for about 20 minutes until they dissapeared into the bush without them ever getting any closer. They reappeared at the same spot 15 minutes later and finally and slowly made their way towards my tree stand munching along the way. That took another 1/2 hour.

Finally, at 30 yards, I let the doe have it with my Exomag. She ran 100 yards into the bush and I found her after 1/2 of waiting and another 1/2 of tracking in the dark. She was laying there dead.

Glad to be helping out the farmers in Lanark county with the deer population. :)

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hey Guys,

Are you hunting private or public land in Lanark?

Nick
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

I hunt private land that a buddy of mine let's me hunt just south of Smiths Falls.

When the Lanark Landowners were up in arms last summer in regards to the crop damage the deer were causing I placed an ad in the local newspaper seeking permission from them to help with the problem by hunting their land. I got zero response! :x

I am now convinced that most of them are crying wolf in order for the taxpayers to compensate them for crop damage.

We are allowed to harvest 7 deer each if you can find a place to hunt but again the hunter pays at having to buy a $34 license for each animal.
Why are we being penalized when we are the solution to their problem.
How much venison does a person want in their freezer anyways. Two is the maximum for me and by law we are not allowed to sell any of it.
There is even a suggestion on the table right now that we will not even be allowed to give it away unless it's immediate family because of fear that a disease could be transmitted from an infected animal.

Governments never cease to amaze me in their logic! :roll:

Grizzly-Papa
stump

Post by stump »

Vince, I hunt Lanark county and have noticed the same thing. I was out this past weekend and watched a nice doe come to feed on the corn I had down. She got about 30 yards away and stopped dead in her tracks. At first I thought she'd scented me, but she didn't have her nose up and seemed concerned about something in the bush. She took about 20 minutes to move 20 yards closer to the feed. She nibbled a few pieces of the corn and then turned and left the same way she came back. About 15 minutes later a young doe came jogging out of the bush and headed straight for the corn. Although she came from a different direction, the same thing happened. She stayed a little longer but eventually turned and went back the way she came. A short time later it happened again. Three does, all nervous as hell even though not one of them scented or spotted me. The interesting thing is that they all went over to the smaller of three piles of corn I had down, and they all avoided the apples. Do you put out large piles of feed, or smaller ones?
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Damn!!! I am leaving tomorow for a hunnt with family in Lanark. One of the properties we are hunting has a big bear hanging around also. May the bear scent is everywhere and is keeping the deer spooky. Damn I hope they settle down before I get there.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

DesertRat all will go well, can't wait to see the pic's. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Ontario Bow Hunter

Post by Ontario Bow Hunter »

Guys, I talked with some people who are part of that Lanark farmer group that kill deer illegally to lower populations. They have had many organized hunts all summer kill deer. Probably skiddish because they have been shot at all summer long! Too bad most of these deer are left to rot! :x
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Ontario Bow Hunter wrote:Guys, I talked with some people who are part of that Lanark farmer group that kill deer illegally to lower populations. They have had many organized hunts all summer kill deer. Probably skiddish because they have been shot at all summer long! Too bad most of these deer are left to rot! :x
That probably also explains why the coyote population is so high this year. A lot of carcasses to feed on!

Grizzly-Papa