anyone shoot the point-blank

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

anyone shoot the point-blank

Post by guest »

if anyone shoots the excal Point Blank, any help would be appreciated. what bolt configuration do you shoot? what is the minimum bolt weight? What point weight do you use? What fletch do you use? Have you customized your Point Blank beyond the factory set-up? Do you hunt small game with your point blank?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Guest if you will join I will be happy to give you some answer's and so would a few more. To join is free. :wink:

They shoot fine, real super smooth trigger, lazer II's with a 125 gr field point and 4" feathers is a start.

Seriously it is a target xbow, depending on what you have in mind to use it for would depend on how you would want too set it up. Jim C one of the forum members has one set up for competition with a number of different options on it.

I myself am still in the green stage and am working towards out door shooting. As far as the bolts go I am trying a number of different lengths and weights. If you were thing of using it for hunting I would recommend a Excalibur hunting crossbow starting with the Vixen, one of the alaround Excaliburs would be the Exocet @ 175 Lbs.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

I wrote an article in the June 03 Crossbow Connections (that was also reprinted in the "Chit Chat" (The National Crossbowmen Newsletter) April of 03. Basically, the PB is a very good indoor crossbow and you can shoot nationally competitive scores with it especially if you customize it to include

1) a moveable cheekpiece and palm rest
2) more weight-I use a korean v-bar attached to the supplied stablizer mount and place two LAS counterweights on it along with the supplied stabilizer

3) a sureloc or similar high grade target sight

I use Laser II graphite bolts. FOR TNC rules they cannot be longer than 18". I use as much point weight as I can found -series 22 GOLD TIP (they make the Lasers) target points with add on internal weights work as does the brass hunting insert coupled with a 145 grain screw in bullet point (size 11/32)

my best score with that set up is in the 593/600 range in perfect conditions. My average indoor tournament score with this bow is in the 570 range-with a 1200 dollar AUSBOW Contender the average is about 575-580

for outdoors, the PB is a bit handicapped since the bolts don't have the trajectory as the thinner 1714/1716 bolts we use on the AUSBOW or PENNYPACKER target rigs. they drift too much and you really have to use a sight riser in the rear to get 65 meters.

I know you can go well below the 325 grain minimum for the heavier bows but I am loathe to discuss that based on warranty considerations. Maybe Bill T can give a number.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thanks Jim C. :wink: I just printed that all out and am going to try and get a copy of June 03 Crossbow Connections for myself.

There ya go GUEST help for us both..
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
chrish

point blank

Post by chrish »

thanks for the info. I purchased the point blank mainly to plink and do target work, as well as for partridge hunting. I ordered the Deluxe version, and since I was used to the vixen and exocet set up for hunting, I found the point blank factory sighting system awkward. What I have since done is to cut the mainframe forward of the riser, put my vixen cocking stirrup on the point blank, and add a rifle scope basically now making my point blank more of a partridge/plinking bow. I have been using gametracker cx carbon bolts cut to 16inch, four inch feathers, 75gr field tip, and get pin point accurracy at 20yrds. I also added db bars, doinker chubby hunter, sims string leeches. I definetly would like to order another point blank and set up as a serious target/3D bow. I have a sure-loc challenger sight, as well as doinker v-bars I could install, my question is where do you get target crossbow supplies here in Canada?

Post by Guest »

Can you please post a pic of the bow. I was interested to see how it looks with the shortened barrel. Was thinking of getting one for my daughter.

Thanks
chrish

Post by chrish »

I can't post a picture because I wouldn't know how, but I can tell you it looks more like a kids bow now. Shortening the mainframe also resulted in making stringing and unstringing the bow alot easier without having to use a stringer, and also made for cocking the bow by a short person exceptionally easy compared to the vixen. I must add that shortening the mainframe(not the barrel) seems to have not had any effect on accuracy, and seems to have made the bow shoot more solidly(quietly) compared to having the original factory stirrup and front target sight. I'm definately pleased that I made this alteration, but at the same time I will be ordering the Point Blank in the "Standard" configuration to be able to customize into a target only bow, which would require the longer mainframe, adjustable cheekrest, and front/rear target sight/aperature set-up. In my opinion, the way that my cut down Point Blank is set up, makes it more ideal for children or people with severe strength issues, but have no doubt, I believe the Point Blank to have more than enough power to dispatch grouse, so it isn't a toy.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well I am still setting mine up, have been playing with different bolts. As too cutting down the main frame it would make it good for a short framed person but to me a little to short for a comfy loading.

As for a hunting xbow I been thinking about bushy tails as 90lbs and a blunt won't mess him up. Scoped it will not sight in at 20 + yards as not enough speed to match the scope adjustments and I went back to peep sight for now. Weight wise it is legal for deer hunting in Ohio as the min. is 75Lbs.

What is SUPER nice is how quite it shoots and the super smooth trigger, easy cocking at 90lbs making it super for plinking/stump shooting, 3-D target xbow not at this time needs more work in the flight area. :wink:

For 3-D I would use the Vixen... However a Point Blanc with Magtip limbs and fff string might work real well.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

the main reason for the longer "mainframe" as you call it is to facilitate strainless cocking. this arrangement means you are in a more upright position when you cock the bow by hand which is a requirement in TNC/IAU tournaments. It also allows a longer sighting radius even though on my bow I DO NOT MOUNT the sight on the "mainframe" but I use a mount I received from Dan Miller of HORIZONTAL ARCHERY (US warranty center and my favorite distributor of Excalibur stuff in the states) which mounts in the same place as the front basic peep sight set up. THIS MOUNT requires a check it or toxonics type dovetail archery sight mount (where the knob goes straight through the extension bar as opposed to the sureloc set up where the knob hits the extension from the side). Obviously if you cut the "mainframe" down you may have a sight that protrudes past the stirrup which would be an untenable situation.

They are much easier to string if you do this modification and for a "plinking: bow it makes sense.
(THE BLUE STAR)

Post by (THE BLUE STAR) »

Hi Jim C, Please Print the E-Mail add. for"Chit Chat" (The National Crossbowmen Newsletter) Thanks Frederick :D
Frederick.. The Blue Star
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

This is the best I can do since the newsletter doesn't have its own website

http://www.crossbowusa.com/