finally got one!!!!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Post by #16 »

Way to go Wabi........ Brad
striper

Post by striper »

Wabi: Congratulations on a well-earned trophy! Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Thanks everyone!
I think the pressure of everyone else killing deer and me just watching them walk by without offering a good shot was working on my mind :lol: All the shots I attempted were what I always try for - a perfect broadside double lung - and the miss and the lost one had my confidence sagging to new lows :wink:
I've replayed the shot on the buck a hundred times in my mind, and the only reasonable answer I have come up with is perhaps the arrow deflected off a small cedar twig from the tree in front of my stand. It's too close for them to show up in the scope, and there were a couple of close ones. The shot itself was only 8 yards, so even if it deflected it would not have been enough for a complete miss. I was watching him through the scope and he had stepped toward the branch that was sagging into my shooting lane. The blood looked like a typical lung hit, but if the arrow deflected down slightly it could have just hit the near lung, and there was some light colored (belly) hair where he was hit. The blood trail was the usual sign starting slowly, the looking like it had been poured out of a bucket for 50 or 60 yards, then instead of finding a dead deer like I expected it simply slowed to a drop at a time with the distance between drops increasing. He crossed a fence at about 100 yards from the shot sight, and only lost 2 drops there. The next drop was another 30 yards, and that was the last we found. We covered acres looking for any more sign, or the deer, and came up empty. I've been back several times, and no sign of scavengers gathering, so I'm hoping he might survive. If not, something will have a feast, so he's not wasted.
I did invest $50 in a "pole trimmer" to clear the shooting lanes 100% I trimmed them yesterday at noon, and got the doe near where the buck had been, and she was the shortest recovery with a double lung yet! I may get "busted" with the wide open shooting lanes, but I'm not going to have any arrows deflected, and I'd rather have one spooked than wounded :!:
Forgot to post in the "details", but I was wearing the new Predator Deception camo. She entered the lane where I was visible to her at about 20 yards and was 11 or 12 yards when I shot. She never looked at me, so it must work pretty well. The only fault I find with the Predator 6 pocket pants shirt is that they will make noise if you drag something (like the Exocet stock) across them. I really prefer camo "sweats" for the noise factor, but mine were soaked from Sunday evening's hunt. The "sweats" have water absorbing properties similar to a sponge :lol:
wabi
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Nice going Wabi...

We NEED to kill something once in awhile or we start to lose that "killer instinct"... Besides that she will taste great, huh?

I've got a feeling that you'll down Mr. Big Buck when it is all said and done..

Congratulations....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Congradulations wabi ! SO far I have only taken 3 doe's But pre-rut is starting and I'm seeing more bucks soon I'll tage up with one.
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

Congrates.Ya gotta like the short tracking job.
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

nice going Wabi. Congratulations!

sorry about the buck but sooner or later if you spend enough time out there it's bound to happen.... :(

Mike

Post by Guest »

Good job wabi!!
I figured it was a just a matter of time before you reported one this year.
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Way to fill the freezer Wabi! Congrats on the meat...now it's redemption time for the horns! Go get him!!

korey99
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Congrats Wabi!!! , persistence does pay off.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Congraulations Wabi. How quickly our sanity returns and all doubt of ourselves leaves. You will enjoy the victory all winter at the table.
Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
shifty

Post by shifty »

Way to go wabi. Have a backstrap for me