fletching alignment

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bogger

fletching alignment

Post by bogger »

Hello everyone im new to the group and wanted to say that iv'e not been able to walk away from my computer , i just keep reading and reading. my question is this. years back my dad made a jig for fletching arrows, iv'e read how you can convert a knock and a field tip to build crossbow bolts. the jig my dad made puts the veins inline with the shaft, not on the recomended 30 deg. is it all that important ??? or do i have to modify the jig?? thanks
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

bogger I am lost, you mean at 30deg. around the shaft ? if so sounds right..4 fletch is 90deg, check it with a 3 feather fletched arrow and see if they line up.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
bogger

Post by bogger »

i was talking to a guy at excalibur the other day he said the veins on a three vein bolts were 30 deg. hhhmmmm! just wondering if it would change the flight placing them 90 deg. ?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

cant do that as one fletch of the four would hit trigger, two would be rideing the rail...
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm confused (as normal) in reading the post.
A circle is 360 degrees.
Divide it into 3 equal parts for a 3 fletch and they are at 120-120-120 (3x120=360)
For 4 fletch = 90-90-90-90 (4x90=360) (or 75-105-75-105 still adds up to 360)
6 fletch = 60-60-60-60-60-60 (6x60 =360)
It has to add up to 360!
3 fletch is about all that will work on the crossbow, as Gary stated.

I thought you were talking about the amount of offset or helical of the fletching. 8 degrees is about the maximum with 4" fletchs to clear the track when they are loaded. Anything from straight to 8 degrees will shoot, but for broadheads some offset or helical is recommended to spin and stabalize the arrow in flight.
wabi

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys now i got it lol.
I've been out about 12 times this year , i've not yet have had a chance at a shot but have seen deer almoast every day. Mabey tonights the night..