Cerra coating

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Cerra coating

Post by SEW »

How much does Cerra coating help? Speed? Serving wear? Last/durability? Glossy or dull finish? Any negatives? Average cost?
janesy

Re: Cerra coating

Post by janesy »

Ceracoat is by far the most durable firearm coating I've ever used. I have used a few, ceracoat, durakote, KG gunkote to name a few. I cannot see a possible downside to ceracoat. Every gun I carry in the woods is ceracoated. My new micro build will be ceracoated.
In fact I will request a quote from them tonight and see what they say.

I typical firearm cost between 2-300. That would be for a simple shotgun or bolt rifle. And AR jumps up pretty quick due to all the parts and time. Pistols I can't comment on.

Like any paint job, there are cheap installers and premium installers.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Forgot to add, the gloss or lack there of is controlled by the installer, it can be had either way, but I typically go flat.

And also this will be my first bow to be done
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Wouldn't the ceramic coating be a little bit rough on the serving? I would think it to be somewhat rougher than a polished Al rail or the polished trigger claws.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
janesy

Post by janesy »

nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:59 pm
Wouldn't the ceramic coating be a little bit rough on the serving? I would think it to be somewhat rougher than a polished Al rail or the polished trigger claws.
It wouldn't be as slick as a polished rail anodized that's for sure. But it is an extremely slick surface. Smooth or smoother than factory anodized thats for sure. But again, that would be up to your installer. At the end of the day its a very thin durable heat cured paint. So the end result is only as good as the substrate.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've had tremendous results with polishing stripped aluminum parts to a mirror finish and type 2 or 3 hard anodizing.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

janesy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:33 pm
Ceracoat is by far the most durable firearm coating I've ever used. I have used a few, ceracoat, durakote, KG gunkote to name a few. I cannot see a possible downside to ceracoat. Every gun I carry in the woods is ceracoated. My new micro build will be ceracoated.
In fact I will request a quote from them tonight and see what they say.

I typical firearm cost between 2-300. That would be for a simple shotgun or bolt rifle. And AR jumps up pretty quick due to all the parts and time. Pistols I can't comment on.

Like any paint job, there are cheap installers and premium installers.
Where did you send your parts out to?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Regretably, my usual cerakote shop is winding down and focusing on machine and gunsmithing .
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

Quality Teflon coating is another option I used on 3 of my prior Exo series Excaliburs with positive results.

Using surgical grade Teflon (by Dupont*), I gained 3-4 fps due to the low coefficient of friction. The flat black finish was not only micro smooth, it was hydrophobic , chemical resistant, and of course Teflons well known non stick property.
The flat black finish looked stunning I might add.

I chose Donwell Coatings in CT as this company has over 60 years of professional high grade coating experience in the Medical, Aerospace, Military industry.

I remember about $120 incl shipping to have Donwell Teflon coat my Exo mainframes.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

Normous wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:06 pm
Quality Teflon coating is another option I used on 3 of my prior Exo series Excaliburs with positive results.

Using surgical grade Teflon (by Dupont*), I gained 3-4 fps due to the low coefficient of friction. The flat black finish was not only micro smooth, it was hydrophobic , chemical resistant, and of course Teflons well known non stick property.
The flat black finish looked stunning I might add.

I chose Donwell Coatings in CT as this company has over 60 years of professional high grade coating experience in the Medical, Aerospace, Military industry.

I remember about $120 incl shipping to have Donwell Teflon coat my Exo mainframes.
Yes great option as well. My supermag 870 turkey gun was done with KG Guncoat, and the flat black Teflon on the internals. It is starting to show wear now after 10 years and 1000's rounds and time in the woods
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

there are re-finishers that take short cuts so do your homework.ive had quite a few items tefloned and its slick and fairly durable for sure!ive had parts powder coated and find it prone to chipping and dings. i always wondered if youd be better off just adjusting the string/serving thickness or shim the riser if you wanted to gain string speed by less friction but down pressure is important on some crossbows.ive also had complete firearms done in Bird Songs Black t finish and prefer it for my firearms as they coat everything from tiny screws,springs ect... to do a crossbow id check out some Laurer Duracoat SL finish. you could do it yourself or send it to the Laurer company or/certified refinishers. i believe it now comes in a special 2-part spray can so you dont need an air brush or sprayer to apply it.you can spray it over already anodize parts with very little prep. just degrease. Duracoat also works great on plastics stocks. the SL version is near as slick as Teflon to me. the best part about Duracoat is if you scratch or ding the finish and it bothers you, just lightly scuff and put a fresh coat or 2 over already existing Duracoat and it will look new again. Duracoat is very tough stuff. much better than the camo dip paints but maybe not as tough as Cerakote. the difference for me comes if you choose a finish like powder coat, Cerakote,Teflon,then any chips and bad scratchs youll have to blast the finish off and start all over if the finish gets worn. there is no perfect finish but many great ones. good luck with your project!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have zero experience with this stuff and some of the guns I've seen felt just a little gritty to me so that was my question. No doubt what I felt would tear up a serving in a few shots.

This is something to consider I think.....
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
janesy

Post by janesy »

I've also used duracoat. The two part install product. Last January it was removed and cerakote applied in its place. Duracoat is like heavy duty krylon, and nothing more.

That was an sps finish, it is not so smooth. My 1187 turkey gun was blued prior to cerakoting, and it is smoother than the powder coat finish on my micro rail. I compared them tonight. In fact, that the finish that I hope to have removed and replaced with cerakote.

As I stated before, it is an extremely slick finish. But its finish is 100% dictated by its subrate. If the surface beneath it rough, it'll be rough, if the surface is smooth, itll be smoother.
Remington is a big cerakote, but if you cerakote an sps and then call it a fancy name, its going to feel rough. Then charge 300 more and call it tactical
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

my black bulldog\Micro has the powder coated mainframe. I have to say I'm not a big fan of PC but so far I have zero MF wear on my string. I was going to send it for polishing and anodizing but I'll just leave it the way it is.... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Seeing as both Teflon and Cerakote are used on frying pans and I have used a few of each type over the last couple years, I would say the Cerakote is by far more durable and non stick than Teflon. I haven't handled a firearm with Cerakote. How does the typical finish on firearms/parts compare to a frying pan that's smooth and virtually impossible to make anything stick to it? Seems like it would be an excellent product for the rail.

How about having Cerakote applied to the string latch? Less friction means easier trigger pull and less wear on the serving....