My first buck---and I feel absolutely awful

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TAC

Post by TAC »

Thanks all.

I did find the arrow last night. It was covered in bright red blood.

I had left a message advising I wasn't coming to work this morning but went in this afternoon. As soon as I relayed the story to my boss, he suggested we both go out and do some more searching. Unbeknownst to me, he used to guide deer hunts in a past life and had run into this problem before.

He thought it must have been a good hit due to the colour of the blood and how much there was. Unfortunately he ran into the same problem I had---the blood trail abruptely stopping at a log.

We covered an area encompasing about 400 yds in every direction. Unfortunately we still came up empty.

Two factors likely come into play:

1) Me walking the 30 yds to my 4-wheeler to get the arrow and possibly spooking the buck, and

2) The misfortune of the two does that came along and, upon seeing and hearing me, took off in the same direction as where my buck was. That could have made him get up and run some more.

It's still odd that we couldn't find a blood trail past a certain point. But we tried and tried hard. At least my conscience feels a little better.

Todd
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

TAC - you gave it your best....I was on a trail last year with a buddy and we thought it was sure thing....the blood petered out in a thick swamp after 100 yards or so. It rained that night obliterating any sign....big grid search all the next day and no deer.

As long as you give it your best that's all you can do.

Now get back in the saddle again and get back out there!

Mike
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Red Label wrote:
Now get back in the saddle again and get back out there!

Mike
10 - 4..

EVERY hunt is a learning experience..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
justinmch

Post by justinmch »

TAC

I lost a deer once that I heard crash about 70 yards from me in thick bush. About a minute or two after the crash, another hunter approached and I saw a white flag tear off from where I heard the noise. I couldn't believe that the deer had got up after I heard it fall. I was sure I had hit it.

I checked out the area where I had shot at it and I could find no blood trail. I then went to the spot where I had heard the crash and looked in expanding circle patterns 2 or 3 times. I found nothing. I thought my ears had played tricks on me.

Three days later, the ravens let me know where my deer was. It was exactly where I had heard the crash, but it was hidden tight behind a log up against some very thick balsams. The deer I shot was a doe. The deer I saw run away must have been her fawn. I had hit her high and a bit far back, but she was quartered away from me, so I guess I got her liver or an artery because she didn't go far or for long and she didn't blow any blood.

My advice for tomorrow is to look very intensely where you heard the crash. Deer don't fall down normally.

P.S. Is your ex game warden friend, A.M.?
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

TAC

I may sound perverse for saying so, but I was pleased to read your post.

The first reason is that you are apparently an ethical hunter. Many hunters shoot with rifle or bow beyond the effective range either of their equipment, or their own skill level. A wounded animal is the result, and sadly those hunters usually don't give the matter a second thought. You are not one of those people. Good for you.

You sound like a person sorrowfull, not because you lost a set of antlers to brag about, but because of compassion for your quarry. Good for you.

It sounds as though you have carefully analyzed what happened, and though it MAY happen to you again, you WILL make it less likely to be so. Good for you.

The events you described and the feelings you have expressed are a good model for newbies or experienced hunters who read your thread. Good for you again.

Regards

Norman
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Clear blood is usually a muscle hit. Unless you aimed a foot or two ahead on your shot, you may have hit it too far back as it was moving and quartering away. A rump shot is only good if you happen to hit the main artery. I'm betting that deer is doing ok and will recover.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

"A rump shot is only good if you happen to hit the main artery."

That is not always true..

You can recover a hip shot deer that didn't have the femoral artery cut.

There are LOTS of blood rich viens and smaller arteies in the hip area. A slow and steady push/tracking will keep the deer moving and will help bleed him out. if you don't push him too hard. Just enough to keep the wound open.

We've recovered a bunch of hip shot deer that didn't have the femoral cut.

A hip shot deer is about the only one that I recommend tracking immediately. Again - slow, easy and quietly..
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
TAC

Post by TAC »

Yep. He recently moved to Orillia but was in town today as my wife was talking to him.

I was disappointed when he moved since I was quite grateful to be fortunate to have him teach me a ton of things.

I haven't talked to him yet to tell him what happened. I'm actually kinda embarrassed to.
justinmch wrote:TAC
P.S. Is your ex game warden friend, A.M.?
TAC

Post by TAC »

Thanks Norman.

That makes me feel a lot more at ease with what has occurred.

Todd
Hi5 wrote:
You sound like a person sorrowfull, not because you lost a set of antlers to brag about, but because of compassion for your quarry. Good for you.

It sounds as though you have carefully analyzed what happened, and though it MAY happen to you again, you WILL make it less likely to be so. Good for you.

The events you described and the feelings you have expressed are a good model for newbies or experienced hunters who read your thread. Good for you again.

Regards

Norman
justinmch

Post by justinmch »

Don't be embarassed to mention it to Alex. He might have some good advice. He'll probably not let you forget about this incident and rib you about it after you stop feeling so bad.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

TAC
Your experience has been a good reminder to all of us. Most of us that have hunted for more than a few years have lost a deer. The information from Woody and all the guys is an excellent refresher course for everyone who read about your ordeal. My longest track was more than four hours on what started as a good blood trail and ended in nothing but head high cattails. I, like everyone here tonight, returned to the fateful site many times to try to find something. Perhaps looking for hope or a pieece of luck that would answer the question. Is it strong enough to heal or is it dead? I even went back the next sring to look for bones. Nothing. Sometimes it just goes that way. You will be rewarded for your effort and the seriousness with you take your beloved sport.
Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

There is a lesson to learn here...Tracking is more of the hunt that shooting the bow...

After the shot, remain still for at least 30 min, unless you see the deer crash right in front of you, even then give it 15 min. This will allow your broadhead to do it's job, make the animal bleed.

Not trying to be critical, but it sounds like you left your hunting position too fast investigating the kill and started looking for the buck too early. There were other deer in the area with the buck and you spooked them and you and the other deer drove the buck from a spot he was probably lying down in. It' best not to press the deer after a shot.

My very first xbow hunt I shot a 6pt buck @ 15 yards. I got out of the stand to early and then pursued him to fast and drove the deer from a bed dying spot 1 hr ofter the shot. This forced him another 350 yards. It rained that night and I had nothing to follow. The next day at 2:30 I finally found him right before I was finally gonna give up. Happen to see him out of the corner of my eye as I was leavin out. I learned right there not to press a deer with too much eargerness if you wanna for sure see a recovered animal.

Hope this helps, now go out and get another deer.
Best of luck,

Deadeye
Blood make's the grass grow, Owh-ay!
TAC

Post by TAC »

I'll eventually tell him. I'm sure he'll have some sound advice. Unfortunately I just don't see him as often anymore. If you ever do see him, call him Mr. Lahey (he kinda looks like the guy from the Trailer Park Boys). I never call him Alex anymore; it's always Mr. Lahey.
justinmch wrote:Don't be embarassed to mention it to Alex. He might have some good advice. He'll probably not let you forget about this incident and rib you about it after you stop feeling so bad.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Woody, are you referring to arrow shot deer or gun shot deer? A bullet hole from a high powered rifle does a lot of damage on any ham shot animal and it usually bleeds out. We've tracked down a few too, but there was always a heavy blood trail.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Woodsman wrote:Woody, are you referring to arrow shot deer or gun shot deer? A bullet hole from a high powered rifle does a lot of damage on any ham shot animal and it usually bleeds out. We've tracked down a few too, but there was always a heavy blood trail.
Either one..

The arrow hole seems to bleed better and if you keep pushing the deer he can bleed out.

If the femoral is cut he is a dead deer in a matter of a 150 yards MAX..

For ham hits (no femoral), it must be a silent push and steady push. A walking deer is a lot easier to trail than a running deer..

FROM MY ARTICLE....

* A hip-shot deer. A large artery (femoral) runs down the inside of each
deer leg. This artery is protected from the side by the leg bones. The
femoral artery is most often severed from the rear or at an angle. If this
artery is cut, the bleeding will be profuse and the deer will usually be
found in less than 100 yards. The ham of a deer is also rich in veins with
a lot of blood. A hip-shot deer should be tracked immediately. Track him
slowly and quietly to keep him moving (walking). If you jump him and he
runs, back off for a few minutes then continue trailing. You want him to
walk, not run. A walking deer is easier to trail.
Woody Williams