hunting in the burbs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mdcrossbow

hunting in the burbs

Post by mdcrossbow »

Yesterday I received a call form a customer whos home I worked at last year and we spoke about the deer population. Yesterday he said "I am so frustrated with all the deer in my back yard , I will pay you $200 for each one you take" WOW So I went out and had another look and firmed up the deal. The yard is just a little over 3 acers and backs up to a thicket with woods out the back. Plenty of climbing trees and I saw a nice 8 and half dozen doe's.
. Now I plan on spine shots and duoble lungers , depending on the size of the animal. Double lung yearyling will go usualy 30 yards and lay down if that but a big doe or buck will travel 40 to 180 yards.
. Whats your all oppinion of this , all double lung shots or not?
. I have about 100 yards between homes out there and nothing in the back except woods. SO I plan on hunting back on his property about 40 to 50 yards in the woods.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

shoot for the heart! Best chance's come from hitting the heart or anything located in that vicinity.

Deadeye
Blood make's the grass grow, Owh-ay!

re

Post by Guest »

spine shots are just too iffy,,,,,, to small of a target,,, go for the double lung,, heart
wabi.

Post by wabi. »

All I attempt is double lung. A sure quick kill on a good hit, and a large target. Even with that, enough can still go wrong to make it uncertain.
boogap

Post by boogap »

Track em at night.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

We plan of retreving these deer in the evenings. But the yards is lined with thick pines on both sides. Thanks for the comments. It is something we will have to discuss. My friend from S.C. sould be here this afternoon and we can start knocking them down. I'm not one for tright sayings but "If it's brown it's down" Sounds like something a newbe would say. But we wouldn't be looking for horns althought the bucks are starting to get agressive now.
.Yesterday evening I had 2 bucks out 40 yards in front of me bedded when I climbed up into my stand and They got up and made allot of rubs in the bedding area. Then I lowered a Smoke stick with my pull rope and put a few doe bleets out about 20 min's later the 110 class 7 point made his way to my stand and walked up to the smoke stick and stood dirrectly under me for about 15 min's the other 8 point went the ather way. The 7 point has begun swelling up so the pre rut is on here. In another week it will begin to kick in. It seems to be about one week early. But how knows, every year for the last 22 years the major rut is on from the 3rd to the 14 of Nov. here. Good luck to you all. And be safe.
Partikle

How come these things never happen to me?

Post by Partikle »

Getting paid for deer hunting :? Wow, I really feel bad for you. I wish I had your problems. :wink:
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

The meat has familys to go too already.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Man just be SUPER CAREFULL :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Gary we are planing on it. It will be just myself and a friend who has been guideing for 25 years if not more and is one of the best bow shots I have meet. Good part is we can't be seen for 100 yards in any dirrection.
Redbad

Post by Redbad »

Davehawk, you may want to have your 'customer' get permission from his neighbors for you to track & retrieve the deer. I had a similar opportunity on a 3 arcre burb property (without the pay :cry: ). I knocked on doors, and found most of the neighbors to be ok, although somewhat reluctant. However, two of the neighbors said they would call the police if they saw any hunters on their property. I decided to decline the opportunity to hunt this property as I couldn't say for sure which way a hit deer would run. :cry:

RB
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Red , I thought about that and with the lay out as it is we decided to skip asking the neighbors. One is deffently an activist but she is 300 yards away. This area has mega homes and hugh lots of 3 to 5 acers. The woods that run the back side and wide and thick. I dought if I would hunt it if the leafs were down.