mosquitoes-what do you do to protect yourself?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

striper

mosquitoes-what do you do to protect yourself?

Post by striper »

Last Saturday afternoon I had the worst problem with mosquitoes I have ever suffered through. I was wearing a Shannons Bug tamer jacket, and it protected me from 99% of the beasts. The other 1% almost drove me crazy. Have any of you come up with a better solution? Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ayep stay in the old house Image just had ta do it Striper :!: :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

ThermoCell...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
TAC

Post by TAC »

I would suspect that your jacket is similar to my Bug Jacket (I'm wearing it in the pic). I find it is helpful, but yes, that last 1% really can annoy you!
deerslayr

Post by deerslayr »

This year I used (No Stinking Bug Spray) in fall earth scent. The little bugs would not even land on me. It did have a little chemical smell at first but after hanging in the basement it went away. Even after washing, it kept the bugs away. The doe I shot last week never smelled me and I was sitting on the ground about ten yards away.
If you can't take a good shot, don't take a shot.

Dan R.
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

I used the No Stinkin Bug stuff too, and had good success with it. Even kept the chiggers and ticks off. Does smell kinda strong at first, then goes to a kind of musty dirt smell. Lasts a long time. I had deer moving past me, but not down wind, so don't know how they would react ifn they got a whif of it.
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
bogger

bug spray

Post by bogger »

hello guys.
do you guys have the brand name of the no stink spray. and mabey where to buy some . thanks Richard
deerslayr

Post by deerslayr »

It is called No Stinking Bug Stuff by Robinson laboratories.
If you can't take a good shot, don't take a shot.

Dan R.
memberwannabe

Post by memberwannabe »

I wear the bug suit. I was told that by eating bananas they were attracted to you. Well I gave them up a couple days before hunting and also I take a couple odor-free garlic pills.
Philip W.

Post by Philip W. »

Therma-Cell all the way.

Don't know how I survived all those years without it.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

what is the average cost to use a Therma-Cell :?: Like I have never looked at one and unerstand they are very good. Was just wondering if like a 35mm cam trail if they nickel and dime ya broke :?:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

This has been the worst skeeter year I've ever seen (50 yrs hunting) and in FL, that's saying something. Probabaly because of the hurricanes. I've used all kinds of bug stuff over the years. A Canadian friend showed me the Shoo Bug Jacket some years back on a spring bear hunt in Ont. And it was the best thing I ever used. I started carrying them in my Orvis store in Sarasota, FL and the fishermen raved about them in the mangroves where the skeeters are the most ferocious. Now you can't find them. I tried the Thermo-cell and it was marginal at best in the tidal swamps where I hunt. Still had to use DEET. I quit using it and just use deet now. I helped test some different things down in the Panama Canal Zone in '67 and the DEET was the ONLY thing that worked. The military DEET is still one of the best with @75% ethanol (IIRC) to vaporize it around you. Was out hog hunting this AM in the Suwannee Wildlife refuge with the exocet and saw a big skeeter (swamp angel) with a turkey hen under each wing wading out through the swamp & his eyes were crazed with lust. I thought about trying him with the x-bow but was afraid he'd just get mad and bring the real big ones back for me :roll: .
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I have a guaranteed solution for you fellows.

Move here (The Pas, Manitoba, Canada). We now have a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Even against such a white background I haven't seen a single one for days now.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

The thermocell is the best investment I've ever made. I purchased mine from wall-mart for $24.99. Won't go hunting without it now. The only draw back is that the unit gets hot and designed for stand hunting only. I used mine the entire archery season without having to change the butane cartridge. ( 1 month )
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thanks raydaughety I am going too look in to getting one. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!