Composite Frame vs Aluminium Frame?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

10Ring

Composite Frame vs Aluminium Frame?

Post by 10Ring »

I have not been active with crossbows since 2004, so I see a lot of changes.

Of course, back then, everything in the line had an aluminium frame.

So, this question may be old stuff, but to me, its new.

Now I see that some models have Composite Frames.

I know there is a wide variety of "plastics" out the, ranging from junk to amazing materials, and I am not one to condemn new materials out of hand.

I am curious as to how the SMF Composite Frames are doing, especially for high volume shooting.

In the late 1990's up to 2004 I was shooting 3D with Excaliburs until the activity dropped off at our club and we had to fold up the program, there. I did enjoy my Vixen and Exocet but sold them years ago, due to inactivity. They were great products, accurate, reliable and easy to maintain.
Last edited by 10Ring on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10Ring
janesy

Re: SMF Composite Frame?

Post by janesy »

My friend has an axiom. Its actually really quite. I think the plastic really cuts the sound
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My first Excalibur was an Ibex with the SMF frame, zero issues and my friend is still using it with zero issues. I would not hesitate to get one. The other side of things is the Excalibur warranty, you'll be fine! Good luck.

Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

What exactly does SMF stand for???? I have an Axion SMF and always wondered. I saw where in another thread someone asked this question and the answer back he received was "steel main frame" which I never believed.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
10Ring

Re: Composite Frame vs Aluminium Frame?

Post by 10Ring »

I am not sure what SMF stands for, either.

I have been away for 14 years and I took the term off the web site, thinking SMF was a material, but I see those letters may have been associated with a recent model of crossbow.

I just edited the title and first post in an effort to better describe the question I wanted to ask; sorry for any confusion.

Basically, when I was shooting Excaliburs years ago, all models had aluminium frames, I wanted to see if I were to get back into it, if the Composite Frame might work for my requirements.
10Ring
janesy

Post by janesy »

I always thoight it was "synthetic main frame"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:46 pm
I always thoight it was "synthetic main frame"
Yes Sir!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
grouse

Post by grouse »

I have an Axiom with the SMF frame and a 350 SE with an aluminum frame. Both bows are equally reliable and accurate, I killed one or two deer every year I used the Axiom and I killed two deer last year with my 350 (the first year I used it). Zero issues with either frame material. I would not hesitate to buy either one if it was part of a bow that I want.
axiom
350 SE
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Thanks
10Ring
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I have had no issues with my grizzly at all. Great little bow.
addicted to canadian beaver
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

My first excalibur was an smf axiom, very accurate and quite. Had no issues at all. Was a great bow🙂🙂
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

10Ring wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:44 am
I have not been active with crossbows since 2004, so I see a lot of changes.
I have been under a rock :oops: , I just found out about Bowtech, anyway.............

I took a look at new Excaliburs today.

It seems the ergonomics of the 308 Short fit me the best, which was a surprise, but good to know.

I see that an extension is available for the stock, which is good because I am 6' - 3", although it wasn't too bad as is for length as is; everything else felt just right, for me.

I don't need the fastest bow for my intended purpose, actually, I did quite well with, and enjoyed using, a Vixen at shoots, back 18 years, or so, ago.

I am wondering how the 308 Short would stand up to repeated, high volume target shooting.

Lots of time to sort it out, I am still checking out opportunities for shoots both locally and in a 2 hour radius from here; don't want to buy then find out there aren't a lot of shooting opportunities.
10Ring
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

That 308 will hold up fine you will not be able to ware it out.you will be able to pass it on to your heirs after you are gone and it will still be ready for action.the only thing that wares out are strings and you can reserve your strings your self on a recurve bow with out going to pro shop.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Thanks
gerald strine wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:35 pm
the only thing that wares out are strings and you can reserve your strings your self on a recurve bow with out going to pro shop.
Yes, that's one of many things I liked about the Vixen and the Exocet that I had for 3D years ago.

I would be out on the course and see a compound shooter, crossbow or bow, blow a severing on the string or cable and have to quit and walk off the course.

I could change a string on the Excal.'s right then & there on the course and be back, operation, in next to no time, with no change in scope settings; gotta love that! :D
10Ring