What kind of serving jig?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CrazyCrayon

What kind of serving jig?

Post by CrazyCrayon »

I'm looking into reserving myself. I think it's between the spigarelli, bearclaw, and Cavalier Pro. These are all right about the same price. Everyone recommends the beiter tool but I don't want to spend 50 for it. I think I'm gonna go with the spigarelli but just wanted to see what you say. Thanks.
Bcxbow

Re: What kind of serving jig?

Post by Bcxbow »

Spigarelli works best for me.

Billy
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Boo recommends the Cavalier serving jig. He’s the string guru for sure so at least I follow his advice. Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

bigbowman wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:44 am
Boo recommends the Cavalier serving jig. He’s the string guru for sure so at least I follow his advice. Good luck!
I use the cavalier some as well but you need to reinforce the tubes that the serving material rides on or they will bend. If the original tubes are not bending then you are not using enough tension imo.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
roly

Post by roly »

I have an outer limit serving tool. I don’t think it’s considered a high quality tool but it seems to work good for me and I haven’t bent the rods yet.
I like it because it has a lower profile than most and the knurled wheel lets me control the tightening easily.
There is a motorized version but I just have the basic model.
CrazyCrayon

Post by CrazyCrayon »

Bcxbow wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:55 am
bigbowman wrote:
I use the cavalier some as well but you need to reinforce the tubes that the serving material rides on or they will bend. If the original tubes are not bending then you are not using enough tension imo.
That's why I'm a little hesitant on that one. I've seen pictures of it bent. I don't really want to buy one then immediately have to modify it.
CrazyCrayon

Post by CrazyCrayon »

The spigarelli is the cheapest too. 15 dollars from Lancaster archery. I can just pick it up next time I go to Lancaster. It looks like it would bend because the pins are so small. But I guess them being so short really helps prevent them from bending.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

CrazyCrayon wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:25 pm
The spigarelli is the cheapest too. 15 dollars from Lancaster archery. I can just pick it up next time I go to Lancaster. It looks like it would bend because the pins are so small. But I guess them being so short really helps prevent them from bending.
Yeah you can actually tighten the spig enough to break .036 AM and not bend the tubes plus the tension remains pretty consistent thruout the process.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Bcxbow wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:55 am
bigbowman wrote:
That’s why Boo explains how to reinforce them to modify the jig very easily. 😉
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
CrazyCrayon

Post by CrazyCrayon »

The Bearpaw seems nice and some people really love it but then there are some that very passionately hate it... So that makes me question that one.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

CrazyCrayon wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:36 pm
The Bearpaw seems nice and some people really love it but then there are some that very passionately hate it... So that makes me question that one.

I don’t have any experience with the Bearpaw. I just tend to shy away from jigs with other than a metal frame.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The Bear Paw is okay, the knurled nob spun loose on mine, but a quick spot weld fixed that. I like the Bietervinder the best, but it's around $50. The one Boo uses is great, but you will have to change the pins like he recommends.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
CrazyCrayon

Post by CrazyCrayon »

Boo said he likes the spigarelli he just found it was to hard to tighten enough. He said he was going to swap it to a wing nut. And where does he say how to modify the Cavalier? I haven't seen him say that anywhere.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Might have been a post here a while back. PM him, he'll answer your questions I'm sure.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Boo puts a separate outer steel tube over the original aluminum tubes on the cavalier to strengthen them but I’m not sure of the size or specific material. :think:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads