Very strange!! Arrow test.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Very strange!! Arrow test.

Post by nchunterkw »

How about rail length, the time the arrow is on the rail and the amount of flexure during the time on the rail. Also, the direction of initial flex (say upward versus downward). Upward would mean the center portion of the arrow is in contact with the rail and downward the front and back of the arrow would be touching. With a faster bow, and downward flex, the time between when the front part of the arrow leaves the rail and the back would be slightly less perhaps giving a bit more accuracy? Thoughts off the top of my head........... could be totally worthless.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:35 pm
How about rail length, the time the arrow is on the rail and the amount of flexure during the time on the rail. Also, the direction of initial flex (say upward versus downward). Upward would mean the center portion of the arrow is in contact with the rail and downward the front and back of the arrow would be touching. With a faster bow, and downward flex, the time between when the front part of the arrow leaves the rail and the back would be slightly less perhaps giving a bit more accuracy? Thoughts off the top of my head........... could be totally worthless.
Keith, don’t forget the flux capacitor. :D
SEW

Post by SEW »

I’m certainly at a loss. The BD400 & M380 are relatively close performance-wise. Though this shouldn’t be a factor, the Optimizer/Weaver T-36 has a greater chance of inconsistency than the simple Zeiss XB75(on BD).

Trends are starting to emerge. As has been historically accepted, longer arrows generally group tighter at longer ranges & have slightly better trajectories. Aluminum arrows are as, if not more, accurate than the most carefully constructed Spynal Tapps or Zombies. But, how do they hold up after repeated shooting?

Lots more testing to go. Currently halted due to a week long project.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:25 am
nchunterkw wrote:
I know Paul,,,,but it is true. We spine index for this exact reason...to get the same launch off of the rail. When the arrow is launched it bends about the center of pressure (close to the middle). That means only a part (or parts) of the arrow are actually in contact with the rail. If the arrow humps up, then the front and back are in contact. If it humps down, then only the middle is touching. Spine indexing helps them all hump the same way. :lol: (sorry, had to do it)
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I posted up about a bit of testing a while back. There's some super slow motion video of my matrix 380 and my frankenbow being shot. I thought the exact same thing Keith is mentioning but there was no perceivable flex of the arrow on the rail....the key word being 'perceivable'.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

paulaboutform wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:14 pm
I posted up about a bit of testing a while back. There's some super slow motion video of my matrix 380 and my frankenbow being shot. I thought the exact same thing Keith is mentioning but there was no perceivable flex of the arrow on the rail....the key word being 'perceivable'.

Paul
Great minds........... :D

I bet some slo- mo video could shed some light as to what is happening.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Back strap wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:40 pm
:
Boo wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:14 am
Steve, was there any weather change? Front coming in? Temperature drop? Any environmental changes?
Strange response :roll:
Actually a very observative response! atmosphere is always involved in the influence of any projectile at extreme range. It may only be 100 yards, but that would be like 1000 yards with a firearm.

Great test Steve, I'll be watching for more results. I know its a pain, but would be very interested the results, with the optics reversed on the the two bows. good stuff here!! Thanks for sharing!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Back strap

Post by Back strap »

Look up the definition of Environmental change. Hence my response, strange. Also testing was done at 70 to 80 yards no mention of hundred yards. Observative? Come to find out and in later posts temperatures were between 40 and 60 degrees low to high winds. Blame it on the Wind that's the way I see it. :eusa-popcorn:
Matrix 405// Twilight scope/ Vixen master string/ Munch mount/ aircurve 3 kwikee kwiver/ south shore archery 18 in spinal tapps/ plastic nock/ sk300 vanes/ 92 grain insert/100 grain ramcat. Huntin Fishin Lovin everyday. AKA-BUCKY
Boo

Post by Boo »

I am sorry to have created this. When I said environment I was referring to the arrow's environment. Wind direction, wind speed, rain, barometric pressure change was what I was thinking.
While it may be a fringe possibility, I didn't think it would be considered strange. Knowing Steve as well as I do, I know he would have mentioned any serious "environmental change" when we were talking by email and text. I only put out the question to for the other's to know.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
SEW

Post by SEW »

This testing involves a number of parameters being tested; therefore, not all arrows of a kind are being tested simultaneously. A major objective of mine is to find the flattest shooting arrow configuration that will be as accurate as practical IOT extend maximum practical hunting ranges. This objective involves testing AL vs Zombie shafts, various vanes in helical and offset, different FOC with the goal of the lowest practical, various broadheads and different arrow lengths. Another objective that I’ve been asked to test is certain vanes/configurations to see how they handle strong crosswinds at longer ranges, especially with fixed broadheads. Another is testing arrows with glued in inserts , shaft within a shaft. I’ll be testing for months.

On the xwind displacement testing, this flipping of results occurred with very strong winds shooting at 80 yds and using another xbow(BD400/XB75 - in know, max of 75 yds but am aiming at the upper center of the target so 80 is well within the tgt). The especially designed wind resisting vanes shot very tight groups out of the BD and poorer in the 380 and visa versa with the helical Blazers and SK300s in 4 degree offset. I repeatedly got the same results in high and low wind conditions. The xwind bucking arrows have an inner liner . Both are Zombie shafts.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:12 am
flightattendant100 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:25 am
nchunterkw wrote:
I know Paul,,,,but it is true. We spine index for this exact reason...to get the same launch off of the rail. When the arrow is launched it bends about the center of pressure (close to the middle). That means only a part (or parts) of the arrow are actually in contact with the rail. If the arrow humps up, then the front and back are in contact. If it humps down, then only the middle is touching. Spine indexing helps them all hump the same way. :lol: (sorry, had to do it)
Keith, also if..... arrow flexes up in center, front and back touching, it would be very possible that very front of arrow is below rail out in front of it. Possible interference with broad heads that have minimal clearance anyway. Could get interesting . This all gets s bit above the pay grade for a carpenter, but what I think is so fascinating about the Excalibur bow platform is you can delve as deep as you want into all this or..... grab some Fiebolts and go hunt at traditional ranges and be deadly accurate. Years ago Awshucks told me” you won’t find out if bow/ arrow combination is accurate at 20 yards”. Think on that .
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

You are absolutely right Paul....with these bows 20yd is nothing. I'm limited at my house, but routinely shoot at 40 with my hunting setups. I zero at 20 and then go straight to 40 for all my shooting/fine tuning....especially windage. IMO you can't really get it set at 20. And with these stiff little shafts...shooting at 20 is a PItA as far as getting arrows out of targets :lol:
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><