What is wrong with these people?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

What is wrong with these people?

Post by XB I GO »

We don’t have a TV at home but I spent some time at my friends house where they have TV with several hunting channels. On almost every show these guys are sitting in a tree or sitting in a blind when they shoot a deer or whatever. The next thing you know they’re all out of breath huffing and puffing after the shot. I can’t help but laugh, what are they huffing and puffing about? It’s not like they’ve just climbed a mountain to get a shot They’ve been sitting there relaxed in a blind or a tree and did nothing more then either aim or pull the bow back. Nobody in my family runs out of breath because they squeezed a trigger. And some of these people on TV are well known athletes that you would think would be in good shape. Anyway I found this quite funny today. The other thing that happened over and over what is that they all seem obsessed with how far the animal went after the shot and they can’t get it right.Almost every show they commented oh he only went X many yards or maybe a little more. What typically they say oh he only went 30 yards 40, 50 well no more than 60 yards. First who cares and second why do they all under estimate at first and then corrected themselves. Must be wishful thinking at first. Some of the shows were so ridiculous I’m glad we don’t have a TV but I did find them humorous at least.
xcaliber

Re: What is wrong with these people?

Post by xcaliber »

I have a good friend that won a hunt with one of the "Superstar" hunters a few years back. He came home disgusted about the whole affair but had to sign an agreement before receiving the prize. Turns out the "Superstar" did not scout the deer by any means, and was called out to the area that the deer was taken. Pretty much staged! Stick with what your Dad has taught you, you're doing great young man. The hunting shows are so sponsor driven that they are Hollywood Shows, period.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

You're a very observant young man. I do agree with Dan's statement above.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

my biggest peeve is the referring of "antlers" as horns- even the guides -I just shake my head and turn the channel.

If these moron's don't know the difference or don't care -- I'm done.

there are a lot of good shows but more than not most aren't.

you're not missing much
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Hunting shows are all the same about the kill,and how many products they can make you think you can not do with out,
I fill the two deer tags a year I am aloud with out food plots, scents , attractants ,carbon clothes , Under Armor ,premium ammo, 4 wheeler 's the fastest bow and on and on.
I just scout, wash with scent free soap and pick my hunting location by the wind direction, most of my hunting is on state land from the ground.
I do not have the funds to travel the country for sport hunting.
Hunting for me is a spiritual thing that connects me to the natural world sitting for hours on end observing the life cycles around me, I am actually participating in nature in the most intimate way in my hunting experiences , that provides my family with wonderful meals of a higher quality than can be bought.
This food source is a very important to my independence and well being and a hunting show has never been able to portray this or they just do not get it , or because it does not make them money.
And this thing about every deer has to be a trophy deer or it walks drives me nuts a doe or spike horn deer are better table fair than the 6 year old buck in rut , nothing wrong with holding out if that is your thing but hey if a guy gets a handful of days to hunt and wants to shoot a spike so be it . Hunting is about the things I mentioned above but also putting protein on the table to feed people in need in the end.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Hunting shows spend a lot of money just to get their show on the air if I remember it can cost thousands of dollars for just 8 shows aired . So of course they have to try and recoup some of the money spent with ads and they have to show kills that's what sells . They don't have the time to scout as they are maybe in the area shooting for the show for what 3 days so the outfitters do they scouting . That is the business end of our sport .
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Yep I totally agree with you. Watching these shows and all these guys excited and out of breath as if it was their first havest, makes me laugh! Each time I succeed I'm happy but not jumping up and down scaring everything around me for miles, I just sit relax and think about how am I going to field dress and carry it out. :D For me it's not the biggest it's food on the table with family and friends.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
janesy

Post by janesy »

Dont forget about the broad that cries every time.

:eusa-violin:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

janesy wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 am
Dont forget about the broad that cries every time.

:eusa-violin:
Yeah or the ones doing the Happy Dance! :eusa-dance:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Meat eater is the only show I can stomach! Some of the episodes have no kill at the end. Imagine going hunting and not killing something every time you go. Who would have thought that was a possibility.. Lol

The high 5's and the term "smoked him" make my skin crawl. This is a huge disrespect to the animal that was just killed. It's not what it's all about!! High 5's and cheers are for football..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

That stuff sells I am not saying I agree with some of the acting but It sells and that is the bottom line .
janesy

Post by janesy »

Carnivorous wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:45 am
Meat eater is the only show I can stomach! Some of the episodes have no kill at the end. Imagine going hunting and not killing something every time you go. Who would have thought that was a possibility.. Lol

The high 5's and the term "smoked him" make my skin crawl. This is a huge disrespect to the animal that was just killed. It's not what it's all about!! High 5's and cheers are for football..
I like meat Eater. One whole episode dedicated to cooking game
And another on who to process from start to butcher.
Actually informative
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

xcaliber wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 pm
I have a good friend that won a hunt with one of the "Superstar" hunters a few years back. He came home disgusted about the whole affair but had to sign an agreement before receiving the prize. Turns out the "Superstar" did not scout the deer by any means, and was called out to the area that the deer was taken. Pretty much staged! Stick with what your Dad has taught you, you're doing great young man. The hunting shows are so sponsor driven that they are Hollywood Shows, period.
Could not agree more Dan , its who wears the most outragious face paint, who shot the biggest buck, and sell products.
the real world of hunting is no way all about products, but about putting in the hard work, knowing your games habits.
When us old timers started hunting we didn't have all this garbage and we done pretty darn good, and we didn't care if it was a buck or doe, we was proud of anything we harvested and darned glad to have the meat for the table to feed our family
at least it was that way for me. and I am pretty much still that way.

Dave :!:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've watched a few of those shows and did NOT think much of them.
One thing that stood out to me is that they usually shoot the critters in good daylight, but the recovery is usually well into the night, or even the next day! Around here that might get you the horns for the wall, but it would feed the coyotes well before you recovered the deer.
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hunting shows for the most part are nothing but reality shows for hunters where very little is to be believed. Sort of like politics, 99% smoke and mirrors and 1% real. :eusa-hand:
The hyperventilating is there for you to see that they are excited :eusa-liar:
Some people just like stepping on rakes