The Were Wolf

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Doe Master
Site Admin

The Were Wolf

Post by Doe Master »

The adventure for this particular turkey began last Tuesday . I had to take Mom in for a surgery on the Monday so did not get to hunt that day . So because they were keeping her overnight she suggested I go out Tuesday morning then come pick her up after that . :)
Well the morning started out with some gobbles on an adjacent property but with my sweet talking could not persuade him to come over to my party . About 8:30 we decided to go to another bush to try our luck . I decided to sit with my sister-in law with some decoys . But by 10 ish we had heard nothing so I figured maybe it was time to maybe go get Mom .
I phoned the hospital to confirm her being released and said I would be in to pick her up . Well after hanging up he decides to announce his presence . :shock: We figured Mom would understand . :lol: Worked that bird for an hour and a half . He came in to 60-75 yards and stood his ground waiting for his lady to come to him .
Next morning I decided to hunt this bird . While walking in first thing in the morning he starts gobbling at before 5:30 making it impossible to get through the bush to a good spot . Had his hens come in but he stayed on the other side of a knob allowing me to see his tail in strut .
Go in the next morning get to a better spot . I figured !! He does the same routine of gobbling well before legal shooting . This time he drops comes my way but hangs up on a small puddle . :crazy:
Next morning get into his bedroom . Same thing again gobbling at the moon . Drops straight into the hens and they did not want to share . Well the winds really started to pick up before a rather wind storm that hit Southern Ontario . So decided to go home before having a tree crush me .
Saturday morning I am dressed and walking in early . I am almost half way in when he lights up . 5:01 !!!!! :shock:
So I start my fastest quiet walk . Then I hear some rustling while walking the trail . Out pops a black and white . Halting my advance . I am about to hit it with a light when Mr. Were Wolf lights up not very far away . Trail is yours skunk . I sit down and wait and wait . He is so close you can hear the rattle in his voice . Lucky for me he did not fly away at legal to his hens . He came to me this time . I guess he lost his hens the day before and thought I maybe was one of them . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
flightattendant100

Re: The Were Wolf

Post by flightattendant100 »

Man, that’s stickin’ To it! Congrats , Kevin.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Congrats on a great bird and sticking to it.

I went yesterday and not one gobble. I might have killed the only Tom in them woods. Time to find a new spot..lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

Wishing Mom good health.
Congrats Kevin!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks for bringing us in with you Kevin. Great bird...congrats! :thumbup:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on the great harvest and your persistence !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Now that's dedication! Congrats on the great bird
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

When he refused to come into range for the sister in law that put him on my list . I have never had a bird be that consistent of being a early riser . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

CONGRATS!!!! You sure put in your time on that bird! Good for you for staying after him and getting it done! :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Congratulations!!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.