East Wind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

peter p

East Wind

Post by peter p »

I hunt deer alot in the evenings and have noticed that when ever there is an east wind the deer never seem to come out into the fields to feed.
Has anyone else noticed this?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Nope not here! could be something to it, then maybe not!!
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Peter, We have found the same thing this year. The wind has been a steady east wind for a week or better. We have been hunting our property fairly steady both morning and night and so far have only seen a few deer. They don't seem to be traveling as much and are certainly not coming out in there normal spots, I think it changes there patterns. Any way this is what we have noticed. Hopefully this stupid wind will shift soon and things can get back to normal.
enjoy the woods
Doug
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Interesting, could be the cooler air in Ontario, the only time I notice a difference is when the wind is coming from what seems like in all directions. Then they act real cautious and are very alert or spooky.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Gary, part of the problem I think is that it is not that cool here yet. Were I live we have had only 2 good frosts and lots of rain. The winds are strong and steady, really screwing things up. Oh well, you can't control the weather, just have to keep trying.
enjoy the woods
Doug
Spring

Post by Spring »

The east wind has been a real bummer for me. Most of my stands are set up to utlilise a west wind. Any effort to hunt them just results in getting busted. I have only two stands that are possibles for an evening hunt during an east wind. That said I lost a deer from one of those this evening, but that's another story.

I think the other factor is phase of the moon. This past week has been poor, but the moon is increasing so things should begin to look up during the next wek or so.

Cheers!

Post by Guest »

Around here, when the wind is out of the east, it is usually a sign of rain coming. When rain is near, there is usually low pressure. Low pressure causes the atmosphere to have lift. Your scent is spread much easier during low pressure than with high pressure, when the air is sinking. Also, when a low is coming, moisture is also usually increasing. Moist air makes for good scenting by the deer. Between your scent being lifted and spread, and the moist air making it easier to smell, you get busted much easier.
One of my secrets to a good stand or blind set up is to set up facing the wind when there is high pressure and light winds. I place my stand or blind near a drop off, which is behind me. Usually on the bluff over a small creek. With high pressure and light winds, your scent sinks into the lower area behind you instead of being dispersed. I have used this numerous times, and believe it works.