Hunting in the rain

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TAC

Hunting in the rain

Post by TAC »

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

This morning it was raining quite steady but when it became a light drizzle just before sunrise I went out and didn't see any deer _anywhere_. I even went for a 45 minute drive and usually I see at least one deer along the side of the road or in a field.

I figure they must be bedded down and perhaps this afternoon might show some good activity?
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I'am far from being an expert. My one and only bow kill was taken a couple of weeks ago in the rain. The fact that it had been raining steady for 24hrs. might have something to do with it. Everything has to eat. Shot the doe 1:00 pm after being in the woods for maybe 15 min.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

All I can say is keep shooting them in the rain and see how many you retreieve. Even the most experance hunters lose deer in the rain. You will be sick when you lose the buck of a life time over a washed out blood trail.
Last edited by mdcrossbow on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I'll bowhunt a drizzle, but if it is truly RAINING I stay home.

See Davehawk's post..

Gun hunting is a different story.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Spring

Post by Spring »

This thread has two aspects. The first is kind of a technical question. Can you get infront of a deer when its raining? The answer to that is yes. Your chances are best when as tkstae says, its been raining for awhile.

That said, DaveHawk offers sage advice.

Cheers!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I've found that deer move very poorly in a heavy rain. The same with most otehr animals. Bear included.

They will all move good before and after an cold front..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Went out yesterday evening in a light drizzle which turned into a fairly steady rain as soon as I got settled into the stand. I was in the landowner's ladder stand with a roof and camo skirting, so I was reasonably dry. After about half an hour I figured it wasn't going to let up, I wasn't going to shoot a deer in that kind of rain even if the opportunity presented itself, so I packed it in and went home. I enjoy hunting an overcast drizzly day, but not in a steady rain!
wabi
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

From what I learned my best hunts for a nice buck close to the rut is right after a hard rain, Bucks will travel to re-scent their rubs, as far as scraps go most of them are done at night but sometimes I see them scrap durring the day but it is after a rain. Most deer hold up durring a rain, but feeding is very high just befor a rain. Last week we had a rain drizzel all week and I hunted most every day and hardly anything moved.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Light rain or drizzel don't seem to bother them. Tonight's light rain didn't keep a nice doe at home as paraded past the stand at 4:05 80 yard out. Still hunting is great in a light rain.
Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
BRIANCARROLL2573

Post by BRIANCARROLL2573 »

When it is raining, I love to get in a shooting house over a big ol' greenfield and sit there all day. I have taken many bucks doing this.
shifty

Post by shifty »

on days with a heavy rain i take my compound with a game tracker string on it.
Book

Post by Book »

I am lucky enough to own a very good tracking dog, and this allows me to hunt in the rain. In fact I killed a doe last Tuesday evening in a rain that I could not find alone. Went back to the camp picked up my dog and found the deer in less than 10 minutes. If I dont take the dog I dont like hunting in the rain with the crossbow, I have been on tracking jobs and lost deer due to the rain washing out the trail. Book
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Book, I also had a great Shepard named Oliver who had a nose on him. A good dog is hard to beat. I sure wish I hand another like him. That's is probably the best and only way to hunt in wet weather. To be confadent of retreiving your game. Still not 100% but better than most.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Hunting in the rain has pro's and con's

If you can deliver a good shot that's close and precise then track immediately. If it rains hard, you have no blood trail in 30 min or less.

My advice, think it thru before letting the arrow fly, or stay home!

Deadeye
Blood make's the grass grow, Owh-ay!
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I need to clear up my anwser on hunting in the rain. I checked the radar before leaving the house. It had been raining steady for a day an ahalf. The front was just about to pass. In fact the water dripping from the trees was harder then the rain coming down by the time I got to my stand. The idea of tracking or losing a wounded deer isn't something to be taken lightly by any means. I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea. Sorry for the error. As it turned out, the doe I shot didn't go more than 5 feet from where I hit her.