Feeder Advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Onetimeonly x-->

Feeder Advice

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

This will be my second season running a deer feeder. Last year I had the feeder set up in a small clearing maybe a 20 yard opening in thick cover. Had my portable tripod stand tucked into a Pine tree overlooking this clearing/hole. Thinking what an awesome spot not so much, seen deer but just not in the numbers I had anticipated. So I went back into the hardwoods 60 yards away where I have a stand setup and my deer sightings were better. Took two deer from this stand. I've had a camera set up over a Trophy Rock this year in the hardwoods and have many nice bucks on camera. So I've setup my feeder in the same vicinity not running as of yet just to get the deer use to it's presents. So for those who run feeders, what time setting do you tend to run? Last year I used it in two 5 sec run times, two hours after light and two hours before dark for the 5 sec run. Any advice or input? Thanks...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Deaf jeff

Re: Feeder Advice

Post by Deaf jeff »

i tried a feeder for several years and my deer sightings went down, this was in an approximate 1 acre opening. very few pics even after dark. a couple of times when i did see a deer within sight of the feeder the deer never took its eyes off the feeder and just passed through the area. my brother had the same experience at his blind about 50 acres separating the 2 blinds, the opening at his blind is only about 1/4 acre and surrounded by heavy woods i learned my lesson and removed the feeders and deer sightings went back up at both blinds. like everything else in hunting and things dont work as well in all locations. will never have a feeder anywhere near my property again
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:58 am
i tried a feeder for several years and my deer sightings went down, this was in an approximate 1 acre opening. very few pics even after dark. a couple of times when i did see a deer within sight of the feeder the deer never took its eyes off the feeder and just passed through the area. my brother had the same experience at his blind about 50 acres separating the 2 blinds, the opening at his blind is only about 1/4 acre and surrounded by heavy woods i learned my lesson and removed the feeders and deer sightings went back up at both blinds. like everything else in hunting and things dont work as well in all locations. will never have a feeder anywhere near my property again
Thanks Jeff, gonna pull my card tomorrow and see if the feeder had an effect on the camera photo count? Thanks again...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I use hanging feeders and PVC type pipe feeders. I have a hanging feeder in my backyard that I keep corn in all year long. I had 8 deer under it a couple of days ago. I have my hanging feeder going off at 7:00 am for 10 seconds and at 7:15 pm for 10 seconds. My hanging feeder is about 15 feet off the ground above the sight of the deer. I use steel cable between 2 trees and a boat winch attached to 1 tree to crank the feeder up and down.
The main thing I found out about feeders are the deer has to get used to them. I hope this helps and good luck hunting.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I put the feeder up at least a month before the season. They are going up this coming weekend. I set the AM for 15 minutes before daylight and 5 seconds. The PM is set for 30 minutes before dark and for 3 seconds. I adjust the time throughout the season, about every 10 days to keep it somewhat consistent with sunrise/sunset. We put "Corn Coat" in with the corn. It makes it smell stronger and the deer will stay around longer because they lick it off the ground. When my feeder goes off you will see deer. We have a tub of water a few yards away and a mineral block right near it. The front area is pretty open but the back side is brushy and the deer spend time there getting the corn out of the bushes.
Buck

Post by Buck »

Hester0305 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:07 pm
I use hanging feeders and PVC type pipe feeders. I have a hanging feeder in my backyard that I keep corn in all year long. I had 8 deer under it a couple of days ago. I have my hanging feeder going off at 7:00 am for 10 seconds and at 7:15 pm for 10 seconds. My hanging feeder is about 15 feet off the ground above the sight of the deer. I use steel cable between 2 trees and a boat winch attached to 1 tree to crank the feeder up and down.
The main thing I found out about feeders are the deer has to get used to them. I hope this helps and good luck hunting.

I have the same set up but have the settings to run for 5 seconds in AM and PM. Adjust the time as the daylight hours change sunrise and then 90 mins before sunset.
I leave the feeders up all year (for the past 8 years) and fill them from the end of July through February. Any deer in the area alive today will be used to the feeder. Not much activity during the first year or two, then started getting some mature frequent customers :thumbup:
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I used one for a few years until the wardens caught on :lol:
I found that bigger bucks will not come to the feeders much and if they do it is after dark.
I have also found that if you find a good mix that the deer really like you will get more activity than using just corn.
The mixture I used was molasses, roasted cracked soybeans, corn, salt.
The feeder was set to go about 30 minutes prior to daylight and dark.
With the mixture I had it was like an alarm clock for them....
They used to race to the feeder when they heard it go off because there wasn't enough there for everyone. lol
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Buck wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:03 am
Hester0305 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:07 pm

I have the same set up but have the settings to run for 5 seconds in AM and PM. Adjust the time as the daylight hours change sunrise and then 90 mins before sunset.
I leave the feeders up all year (for the past 8 years) and fill them from the end of July through February. Any deer in the area alive today will be used to the feeder. Not much activity during the first year or two, then started getting some mature frequent customers :thumbup:
I'm the same, I keep my feeders going all year except during turkey season when we can't bait for turkeys. I have a nice 8 pt and a decent 6 pt coming and using the feeder at the house my wife killed a 16 inch wide 6pt last year under our feeder with her Excalibur 330 and now she's laying claim to the 8 pt already. Good luck
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads