Good going TAC, nice buck :D .
PaJack

Post by PaJack »

Now your hooked for life... :lol:
Hunt Safe,
Jack
A.W

Post by A.W »

Congrats on your buck and story!!! :wink: By the way. Have you managed to get some sleep yet. :lol: :lol: :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Allan

Post by Allan »

TAC

That stomping is a tactic that deer (Does and Bucks) use to get a reaction to an object that they cannot recognize.

I once watched a small doe feed along the edge of a swamp. She stopped suddenly, and focussed on a particlular area. She finally stomped and scared up a grouse. If flew of and she contimued to feed calmly.
Basel

Post by Basel »

Congratulations TAC on your first buck. It is definitely the memory of a lifetime. I shot my first buck, a spike, 45 years ago and I can remember the details of that hunt as if it were yesterday. Unfortunately, I can't remember everything else like that! Significant emotional events tend to stick with you.
Phil
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats Tac, your enthusiasm reminds me of years gone.
James
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Good going TAC.

Fyi on those real close shots, I just put my crosshair in the centre of the vitals and let 'er rip! The most you will be off is an inch or so and that won't mean anything.

Way to go!

Mike
hunter elite

Post by hunter elite »

nice goin TAC looks like a nice buck sure goin too be some good eatin there.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I am so pleased for you. Your earlier experience was so disheartening for you.

Practice at varying ranges is essential....but now you know that!

Good for you. You deserved this kind of triumph.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Congratulations TAC. Waht an emotional rollercoaster ride you have been on this season. Really glad to hear of your success.
Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
boogap

Post by boogap »

I'm glad you got back on the horse. Don't be trying for spine shots all the time now!
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Congrats :P
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS

Congrats, Todd!

Post by Guest »

Todd, I want to congratulate you heartily- I hope I too can get my first x-bow kill this year. Myself, I had the most exciting day ever, seeing two large does and a fawn, all within 15 yds all trying to figure out where I was (only have a buck tag, but I obserbed them like I was watching the Discovery channel, from my tree stand....)Here's the best part- 20 min. pass and the three make their way to the edge of a field where an anxious 8 or 10 pointer was waiting , who then popped into the field quickly and chased them all in the bush!!!! I may have had him (35 yds) but it happened to quickly, no chance really. I hope my patience one of these days will be rewarded like you were- good stuff, man.
Later,
Rickster
TAC

Re: Congrats, Todd!

Post by TAC »

You will be. I figure I spent a total of 30 hours before I got my buck. With that, if I had recovered the buck I shot at about the 9th hour, I'd not have learned as much as I did over the next 21 or so.

I spent some evenings crawling on my stomach trying to sneak up on a buck. One night I was successful but although we were separated by only about 20 yards (he almost came right at me), I blew the shot right overtop of him. That made me check my scope the next day. I had dropped my x-bow and it did need to be resighted ever so slightly. Another time I passed on a 15 yard shot on a 6pt buck that was much larger than the one I got because he was slightly quartering me. I learned things from watching him though.

Watching how they interact with each other and how they attempt to smell and listen for a hunter was a valuable learning experienc for me.

One of the most valuable lessons learned was to practice short yardage shots. Next year I think I'll sight in about about 20 yds (instead of 30) and practice some 10 yd shots as well as farther out.

You'll succeed. If I could, anyone can!

Todd

Anonymous wrote: I hope my patience one of these days will be rewarded like you were- good stuff, man.
Later,
Rickster