Alabama Report

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Book

Alabama Report

Post by Book »

I went 5 days last week Mon - Fri. near Tuskgegee and killed one doe. I did not see very many deer, but the temps were low 65-70 and the high temps 80-85 degrees. White Oaks and Swamp Chestnuts are dropping and the deer are feeding them, but at night more than the day. The skeeters were bad all week, and picked up a few chiggars, luckily I saw no poision snakes, but they are around. We have killed a bunch of timber rattlers, cotton mouths, and copperheads this fall planting green fields and scouting. I am hoping to get some cooler weather down here in Dixie, but the forecast is about the same going into next week. Good luck to all.... Thanks Book
steve

Post by steve »

congrats on the doe, but am curious, what the heck is a chiggar? Am glad we don't have the snakes up here. allthough we deffinatly do have the skeeters
striper

Post by striper »

Book: Congratulations on the doe! Your experience was very similar to mine. It is just too hot to hunt comfortably in Alabama right now. In answer to the question, a chigger is a tiny red insect that is active during warm weather. When they get on you, nothing happens for 24-30 hours. Then you develop what looks like a mosquito bite, but lasts for a week or more and itches like crazy. Sometimes, the sore ( if you scratch the bump), will be visible for weeks. Very similar to being bitten by a fire ant. Would you like some samples? We have plenty of both species. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I have the same problem here. It's going to hit 80 Fri. That along with the rain we've been getting takes some of the fun out sitting in the tree stand.
Doug the Slug

Post by Doug the Slug »

I feel for you guys down there. I wouldn't want to hunt where it's hot and I really hate snakes and bugs. I'll take the cool weather we have up here any day of the week. We've had a few frosts so even the skeeters are done here. Good luck to you fellas just the same and congrats on your doe.
Regards,
Doug