sick deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gametrail

sick deer

Post by gametrail »

Well i found a very big 9 point yesterday down in the back legs. :shock: At first i though it had been shoot , but when i got up to it it got up on its front legs and i could see it hadn't been. It was rolling its head around on the ground. Anyway i call the game warden he came out and shoot it , then they sent it to be check. They think it was this sickness they are getting from the bites of a no seeim, or nat or what ever you call them. Hope i don't find any more. :!:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

gametrail,

Exactly where was this at? Details please...

They should be able to tell pretty quick if it was EHD (blue tonque) or not. It seesm a little late in the year for EHD...

That does sound scary though
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
rwk

sick deer

Post by rwk »

There starting to find deer with blue tongue desease, in that state.
Woody Williams

Re: sick deer

Post by Woody Williams »

rwk wrote:There starting to find deer with blue tongue desease, in that state.
Dunno which state that is. Gametrail is from Indiana and hunts Indiana and Illinois...
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
gametrail

Post by gametrail »

The biologist that came out. [ to my place IN.] said it was not blue tonque but something like it. It has always been around just so years you see it more. They get it from biteing bugs like no-seem's and nats. He took the deer to check it. They have lost alot of deer in Ill. a friend lost 10 of his deer. The warden said he had to shoot a button buck the other day with it. Well hope this helps. gametrail
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Whew!! Glad it wasn't that bad boy CWD....

He is correct in that it is Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD). Some folks as los call it "blue tonque", but it is very similar.

Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD).

Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD)* is common to white-tailed deer, but rarely affects other species. It occurs in the driest part of the year when conditions are just right for biting gnats, the carriers of the disease.

The disease is not contagious from one animal to another, and it is not transferable to humans. It comes from a virus carried by biting gnats that live in or near water and wet, muddy areas. It is transmitted to deer that congregate at such watering holes during warm, dry weather.

The spread of the disease is usually cut short with colder, wetter weather that spreads deer out and away from gnat-infested areas, or the first hard frost, which will kill the disease-carrying gnats. Since the incubation period for the disease is five to 10 days, afflicted deer may be observed up to a couple of weeks after frost.

Deer in the early stages of EHD may appear lethargic, disoriented, lame, or unresponsive to humans. As the disease progresses the deer may have bloody discharge from the nose, lesions or sores on the mouth, and swollen, blue tongues. They become emaciated because they stop eating. Sometimes they even stop drinking, although many die close to or in water.

Other wildlife, like mule deer, elk, and bighorn sheep could be exposed to the disease but are usually not stricken like white-tailed deer. No evidence of an outbreak in these species has been found at this time nor in past outbreaks in recent years.

Domestic livestock could also be exposed, although cattle and sheep are usually only carriers, not victims, of the "Bluetongue" virus, which is very similar to EHD.

Since deer hunting season usually doesn't open until well after the first killing frost, deer hunters usually don't see live, infected animals. However, WDFW recommends hunters avoid shooting and consuming deer that show any EHD symptoms, even though the disease cannot be transmitted to humans.

EHD typically strikes in late summer and early fall during an unusually warm, dry year when wildlife concentrates at whatever water is available. Major outbreaks among white-tailed deer have occurred mid-August to mid-October in 1999 in northeast Washington (Spokane, Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan counties), 1998 in southeast Washington along the Snake River, and 1992 in northeast Washington.
* ("Epizootic" means an animal epidemic. "Hemorrhagic" means to bleed or hemorrhage.)
Woody Williams

gametrail

Post by gametrail »

Your right Woody. They called it E.H.D. Hope it get's cold real soon!