Aluminum vs Plastic Inserts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

Aluminum vs Plastic Inserts?

Post by ch312 »

Comparing rear inserts for the Zombie Slayers I am making up and am curious what most people are using. The aluminum are 18gr while plastic are 8gr I believe so there's a significant difference in weight. Will using either one make any difference at all in regards to accuracy?

Is durability an issue with plastic?

I already have Excalibur aluminum and am curious if I should bother making some with plastic as well.
janesy

Re: Aluminum vs Plastic Inserts?

Post by janesy »

I think you'll find most people use plastic. They are durable, hold up well, and don't do any damage to strings or rails. Hey also don't make that gross aluminum nock smell
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

janesy wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:25 pm
I think you'll find most people use plastic. They are durable, hold up well, and don't do any damage to strings or rails. Hey also don't make that gross aluminum nock smell
Agreed.....and you can change your plastic nocks in about 5 seconds. When an aluminum nock is damaged you either have to file and polish it or risk your string being cut....and the plastic nocks are a fraction of the cost.
If you decide to stay with aluminum and you're making them yourself, don't use epoxy. Use a low temperature archery glue stick (the blue one) and only use a tiny spot on your nock. It'll be easier to remove.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Plastic here
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I use plastic in my Zombie Slayers. During hunting season I switch to Lumenoks and its quite easy swapping when you have plastic nocks. Using a trick someone posted on here, I add a set screw of proper dimension to the inside of the plastic nock and grind it down to achieve a weight equal to my Lumenoks. That way my arrows weight the same regardless of the nock in use.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: