Wasp expandable broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Wasp expandable broadheads

Post by janesy »

Anyone have any experience with Wasp expandable broadheads namely SST, Jak-hammer or jak-X?

I know the SST is 1.75 with .036 blades, where the other two are .027
The Jak-hammer and jak-X are identical aside from the jak-X coming with 3 extra prongs in the pack and marketing specific to crossbows. As per Wasps reply in an email.

Does anyone have any hunting experience with them?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Re: Wasp expandable broadheads

Post by longbow joe »

I recall the jack hammer getting a terrible rating in the quartering away catagory and a few negative comments
About this also. I don't know why. I used to like wasps products in my compound days.The xact cut is the same 3 blade cut dia. And is made for excalibur bows (made not to open) why take the chance that's my thinking.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

They're okay. I liked the Hammerhead expandables better, back when I used expandables.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I tried the jakx when they first came out off my Exomax destroyed the head twisted the blades around the ferrule bent the slot the blade sat in this was practicing with it so I threw them in a broadhead box a left them there . I use Xact for expandable and Muzzy trocar for fixed . I also photoed it and sent it to Wasp telling them what happened no response from them .
Normous

Post by Normous »

Two of my friends had a poor report on the Wasp Exp. and I have read similar reports here on the forum as well.

I carry the SWAT X MAG 100 and 125gr. which is the finest expandable I have used since the mid 90"s.

.036 (4) blade with a 3 3/4" true total cut channel with 4 cut on contact tip blades up front. Blades are 420 SS.

Drain your game!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

what is a wasp exp ? I know innerlok exp same as Excalibur Xact .Not to be Picky .
janesy

Post by janesy »

hunter with MS wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:59 am
what is a wasp exp ? I know innerlok exp same as Excalibur Xact .Not to be Picky .
Just using exp as short hand.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been trying to find crossbow related feedback, most of it seems to be negative, and anocdotal. The vert bows are all 95% possitive.
If am extremely happy with my wasp drones, I think I'll just stay with them, there really is nothing to go wrong, strong as anything and razor sharp from the box.
But I often drift off into mechanical wonderland and think I should switch
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

longbow joe wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:34 pm
I recall the jack hammer getting a terrible rating in the quartering away catagory and a few negative comments
About this also. I don't know why. I used to like wasps products in my compound days.The xact cut is the same 3 blade cut dia. And is made for excalibur bows (made not to open) why take the chance that's my thinking.
I abused the heck out of an xact a few years ago. A dozen shots through plywood until it wouldn't penetrate any more. Fertile stayed straight, and blade bent slightly.

That's actually why I was looking at the Wasp product,. Compared to the Xact, same tip, stronger ferrule, slightly bigger cut .

Just got done shooting some target with my drones. No reason to switch. Lots of dead target
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

If I were to move back to expandables, I think I’d try the 150-grain Shwacker.
I like the way they’ve designed the blades opening on those.

Expandables can be problematic in quartering-away shots, or if they glance off a rib wrong. The Shwacker looks like it might overcome those issues.
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

I’ve body shot a couple turkeys with the jackhammers. 100’s and 125’s (I believe). Also put a couple through deer with a compound. I think they’re a good head. They have a trim profile like a field point and open reliably. They’re a bit of a pain to replace blades but I took to resharpening them in the head with a stropping board. I only use mechanicals for turkeys these days
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
GGC

Post by GGC »

My experience with the Wasp Jak X is simple, I like "jak'n deer". I have three nurseries in central NJ, Middlesex and Monmouth counties, with one to two deer per acre. We are overrun with deer and slugs are no longer a viable tool with all the new houses.

Having 24/7 depredation permits, shooting at dusk or later is normal.
I need to put deer down asap in the close quarters of backyard deer. Wasp does that.
The shot has to be perfect, too many close neighbors.

I kill a lot of deer and I've used crossbow spitfires, they don't hold up nearly as well.
I also shoot FOC 170"s with success, but they are #2 in the quiver. Have Boss bullets, 1" fixed blade, which are dependable, just want a bigger cut.

Have 4 bows that I use at will, a Matrix 380, a 405, a 375ss and 400ss Middleton. All get the job done. The deer are given to friends that enjoy venison and nothing is intentionally wasted.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
diesel

Post by diesel »

That is all we / My family uses 1 3/4" 125 gr. Do an awesome job. I time we had the blade freeze because of snow that melted on it and the blade did not open. Gut shot deer give them a couple hours and you will find them dead if you do not push them to soon.
roly

Post by roly »

I lov the wasp broadheads. I have the drones and been using jack- hammers for a long time.
The jackhammers have never let me down and give a awesome blood trail. Wasp sent me some extra rubber rings when I asked about double banding, they did suggest using two rings.
I wanted some fixed blades for shooting though the mesh in my ground blind and read some great reviews on the drones. Very sharp and strong, I haven’t had a chance to say first hand yet.
janesy

Post by janesy »

roly wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:02 pm
I lov the wasp broadheads. I have the drones and been using jack- hammers for a long time.
The jackhammers have never let me down and give a awesome blood trail. Wasp sent me some extra rubber rings when I asked about double banding, they did suggest using two rings.
I wanted some fixed blades for shooting though the mesh in my ground blind and read some great reviews on the drones. Very sharp and strong, I haven’t had a chance to say first hand yet.
I've been shooting drones at a target for over a year now, very very solid head. And accurate too.
Used a 125gr on my buck earlier this month and it was perfect. Blood trail you could slip and fall in.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Normous wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:01 am
Two of my friends had a poor report on the Wasp Exp. and I have read similar reports here on the forum as well.

I carry the SWAT X MAG 100 and 125gr. which is the finest expandable I have used since the mid 90"s.

.036 (4) blade with a 3 3/4" true total cut channel with 4 cut on contact tip blades up front. Blades are 420 SS.

Drain your game!
I can Vouch for this! The SWAT X mag is a deadly head!

The blood trail from this buck I harvested in late October was insane using the SWAT!!!

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.