Here I sit!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Here I sit!!

Post by ko4nrbs »

Here I sit with 3 pairs of long underwear bottoms on, fleece pants, two pull over underwear shirts, wool/polyester shirt, heavy jacket, insulated coveralls, and two pairs of socket liners with my battery powered electric boot insoles. I am much warmer than I used to be but still run the propane heater some. It knocks the chill off and makes it very comfy!!

Surprisingly I can still move around pretty good.

Gotta love Ground Blind Hunting!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
vixenmaster

Re: Here I sit!!

Post by vixenmaster »

Well that is good thing stayin warm. I do not have the clothin nor heater. I am goin to get me a heater fer next yr in my ground blinds. I jus can't hunt anymore when i feel like an icicle
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Wimps ! The other day I sat in a tree stand for 12 hours with a north wind blowing right at me ! Like 10 degrees with the wind chill Brrrrrr ! I will admit I did buy some good gortex cold weather stuff on sale at Cabelas a few years ago sure makes the long cold sits a little more tolerable .
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Heated insoles and my Milwaukee heated hoodie get me through the late archery season & ice fishing!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

vixenmaster wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:03 pm
Well that is good thing stayin warm. I do not have the clothin nor heater. I am goin to get me a heater fer next yr in my ground blinds. I jus can't hunt anymore when i feel like an icicle
I'm going to buy one of these refillable tanks.
https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-281149-1-Gallon-Cylinder-Prevention/dp/B000SKX63U/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1543428167&sr=8-16&keywords=propane+bottle
Good size for a Ground Blind and will save me a lot of money not having to buy so many of the non-refillable bottles at Walmart. Some people do refill the little 16oz. bottles but why take the risk. Looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:19 pm
Wimps !
Guilty as charged!!

Lived in Wyoming for almost 14 years but I tolerated the cold better when I was much younger. Did a lot of hunting there then and can remember laying in a snow filled furrow in a corn field hunting geese. Was well below zero that morning.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I guess i am also guilty of bein a wimp, once my cripped left hand gets in the 20's it draws up like claw n hurts terrible bad. Once my hands n feet get so cold they all hurt badly its all i can think about is the hurt. Not worth tryin to hunt at that pt. I want to enjoy my huntin not be lover of pain !
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

vixenmaster wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:17 pm
I guess i am also guilty of bein a wimp, once my cripped left hand gets in the 20's it draws up like claw n hurts terrible bad. Once my hands n feet get so cold they all hurt badly its all i can think about is the hurt. Not worth tryin to hunt at that pt. I want to enjoy my huntin not be lover of pain !

X2
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

so just how cold does it get in OK when u hunt? if i layered like that i'd never be able to get my boots on! but the real question is am i tougher than u cuz i don't dress like that or use a heater or wimpier cuz i only hunt 3 hrs at a time and then go sit by the fire?

pretty sure wimpier cuz i don't think i could walk to my post that layered up!
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Goose52 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:22 am
so just how cold does it get in OK when u hunt? if i layered like that i'd never be able to get my boots on! but the real question is am i tougher than u cuz i don't dress like that or use a heater or wimpier cuz i only hunt 3 hrs at a time and then go sit by the fire?

pretty sure wimpier cuz i don't think i could walk to my post that layered up!
I have a very short walk and have no problem moving around. I don’t put on the insulated coveralls or heated insoles until I am in my Blind. Coldest so far has been about 19 deg F. I sit for a max of 6 hours here and at my down river spot dark to dark.

Don’t use the propane heater until I get chilled. After it warms up as the day progresses I turn it off.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

It's good to hunt no matter how crappy the weather is. I'm tagged out and miss the hunt!! :(
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I am near 50 now and can stand the cold a lot better now then when I was younger. I just late season in Ontario with temps well below freezing. I do dress firvthe weather.but find I need a lot less then I did years ago.
May by the extra few pounds of insulation I have now.lol
addicted to canadian beaver
catclr

Post by catclr »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:06 pm
vixenmaster wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:03 pm
I'm going to buy one of these refillable tanks.
https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-281149-1-Gallon-Cylinder-Prevention/dp/B000SKX63U/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1543428167&sr=8-16&keywords=propane+bottle
Good size for a Ground Blind and will save me a lot of money not having to buy so many of the non-refillable bottles at Walmart. Some people do refill the little 16oz. bottles but why take the risk. Looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Bill
I use the Mr. Heater in my Lucky's Blind, & Mr. Heater Big Buddy in my Ox5 blind, using a 20 lb. tank. For what that one pound tank costs, if your blind is
permanent the 20 lb. tank would be cheaper.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
artifact

Post by artifact »

Bcxbow wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:37 pm
vixenmaster wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Suggestion for you for the hands Mike! I bought a hand muff for cold weather sitting, throw a couple handwarmers in it and you should have toasty warm hands. I have never had a pair of gloves that can even compare to the muff and wouldn't hunt without it while on stand in cold weather.
I also hunt with the black Mickey Mouse boots, little heavy but comfortable and keep my feet warm and dry.
Just a couple things to consider and may be of help.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I guess I just ain’t mad enough at any animal to brave that kind of cold anymore.