50th hunt ideas

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

50th hunt ideas

Post by Carnivorous »

Next year I will be 50. I used to think that was old! Lol

My wife asked me what I wanted for my Birthday and naturally I said don't buy me anything just put the funds towards a hunt.

So now it's decision time!

Animals on my list in no particular order. I will use my crossbow or muzzleloader if it's legal.

Newfie moose
Southern us wild hog
Saskatchewan deer
Western mule deer

Will be tough to pick just one! :)

If any of you have done one of the hunts above or are planning one I'd like to hear from you.. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
XB I GO

Re: 50th hunt ideas

Post by XB I GO »

I asked my Dad because he has done all of those a few times. He said the moose hunt is the most "adventure" of those. Hog hunting can be sitting in a stand and Saskatchewan deer hunting is too. He says a New Foundland tag has odds of 1:18 which is pretty good. Mule deer really depend on where you go. There is a huge price difference too. Our friend Dave at Tobique Valley Outfitters get $10,000 for a moose hunt. Mule deer varies widely from $1000 in Texas up to $10,000 depending on how much outfitting you sign up for. You can get a Sasky deer for $5000 or less and you can hog hunt in Texas for as little as $100 a day guided. I would go on the moose hunt. The other I would like to do is Mt. Lion hunt or Mt. Goat hunt, one for the excitement and the other for the scenery. Not every state will let you use a crossbow for mule deer. Check into that.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I like the Texas hog hunt so far! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I think I would go for the Moose with a x bow for excitement and it is awesome meat.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Depending on who you talk to, the success rate for moose in NFLD is anywhere between 85% to 99%. Either way, guided, it's an easy hunt.
I've been to Wyoming several times on self guided hunts for Antelope and Mulies. Lots of work and real hunting! Another time we went to Buford Colorado and Eagle's Nest New Mexico on a semi guided hunts. That is my suggestion on where and how to hunt. Obviously I don't like the idea of a fully guided hunt. I'm not into amenities and being led, I want to hunt.
Hog hunting can be pretty exciting just before and after pulling the trigger but they're a bitch to stalk!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

Carnivorous wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:46 pm
I like the Texas hog hunt so far! :)
Just think Jeff, deer during the day and hogs at night!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

A Southern US hog hunt would be a blast. But not sure if it's 50 worthy, you could do that anytime ...just drive down. While your there you can bag a tiny turkey, and a gator!

Western hunt would be cool. Something different.

But crossbow Moose, that's a 50 worthy adventure. But as Don said, high success rate. But it's still a moose with a crossbow. Team Canada!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Alaskan Brown Bear!!

Why not live dangerously with a well placed 20 yard crossbow shot. Take extra underwear.

Seriously I would hunt moose.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

To make the Texas hogs 50 worthy you'd have to do something like Pigman and shoot them from a helicopter. If I win the lottery, I'd make an effort to feed the masses. :lol:

Of course hog hunting from the ground with archery gear could be exciting as well.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I am sticking with the Moose hunt vote I found this video and not only confirmed my choice but got a soft spot for Jolene she is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tIAeDLXhYg
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

All the hunts sound excellent of course. I can tell you that if you're in the right place in Texas, a combination hogs/exotics hunt would be a blast! I've loved it. You need to find the right ranch for plenty of action. I liked the looks of the ranch the excalibur boys went to promote the matrix 405. I'd start there and combine it with Axis deer, Black Buck antelope, Audad, etc... I'd also suggest a bowfishing adventure for a night or two going targetting carp, buffalo, etc.. Make sure to bring some friends along for a great action packed hunt with lots of opportunities and shooting. I look forward to it one day again myself. I suggest this because you can do any of these other great hunts either in Ontario or within Canada. My two cents....and no wrong choice really. :wink:

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

If I had the chance to be 50 over again and choose off your list, my first choice would be Newfie moose.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

A Newfoundland Moose . But remember crossbows are illegal there still .
A close second is Saskatchewan whitetails . Yes it is a sit but not for as long as it would be other places . Daytime is shorter . :) Also the action if with the right person will keep you entertained . We got to the point of being not excited with another doe coming in . :)
For that we were semi-guided . Place to hunt and sleep .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Moose ,deer etc. All basically kinda the same after a while. If it were me a change of pace is in need ......HOG
HUNT.. l only killed one boar in Florida with my longbow l loved it.Going alone on an away hunt is much better with a friend also .Maby stop at Nashville or anywhere fun you wish and bring your wife also.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Since I have already killed several moose with a bow and sat many times for whitetail have zero interest in hogs for me it is the western muley hunt ! I have been twice now and spotting and then trying to stalk into bow range is some of the best hunting I have ever done! If I get drawn this year I'll be back again.