String friction

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

String friction

Post by Guest »

I have an exocet crosbow when shooting the bow there is an odor like the string is rubbing on the rail and causing a friction burn, the serving is not showing any wear. Is ther a way to correct this by lubricating the rail if so what do you put on the rail?
Drags
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I use bowstring wax. Just a very small amount is all you need on the rails.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I noticed the same smell when I first started shooting my Exocet. I waxed the string, and worked it in with my fingers. That fixed the problem. Best of luck to you with your Exocet. Wouldn't trade mine for any other.
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Are you shooting aluminum bolts? The metal bolt on the metal rail causes some friction and hence, the smell. After repeated firing of the same bolt, you'll see the paint wear on your bolt. Nothing to be concerned about though. These bows is FAST! :wink:

korey99
wabi

Post by wabi »

We've discussed the lube thing many times and I believe the majority of Excalibur shooters simply wax string serving with bowstring wax. A rail lube can build up and has the potential of causing problems if it gets where it isn't supposed to be (like in the trigger mechanism).
And, yes!, they sometimes have an odor when you fire.
wabi
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

I use bow wax on my string and horton rail lube on my rail.Shot many 3d tournaments and never had a problem.Seems like the rail lube is the only thing horton make thats any good. :lol: I'll often get a "gun powder" smell which is normal.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

skeeter wrote:I use bow wax on my string and horton rail lube on my rail.Shot many 3d tournaments and never had a problem.Seems like the rail lube is the only thing horton make thats any good. :lol: I'll often get a "gun powder" smell which is normal.
Same here and I like the Horton Rail Lube... :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!