O/T Dirty, Dirty, Dirty Ohio Air: Thank Bush!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

O/T Dirty, Dirty, Dirty Ohio Air: Thank Bush!!

Post by Guest »

Bush has gutted the clean air and clean water acts that have stood for more than 30 years.
HE MUST GO!!!!!!!
This article helps explains why 11 North East states have filed a law suit against Ohio and some of its more filthy neighbors.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/0 ... lants.html

Ohio pollution rated as high

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coal-burning plants emit 83M
pounds of acid gas

By Dan Klepal
Enquirer staff writer

A report released Thursday by a national environmental group says that Ohio's coal-burning power plants rank among the most dangerous in the nation, pumping thousands of pounds of arsenic, lead, acid gases and about 60 other pollutants into the air each year.

The report - titled "Beyond Mercury" and commissioned by Clear The Air - examined the 2002 Toxic Release Inventory data submitted to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to determine how much of those harmful chemicals are released every year by coal-burning power plants.

Ohio leads the nation with 83 million pounds of acid gases emitted every year. In addition, the Buckeye state ranks fifth in releases of arsenic (8,400 pounds), sixth in chromium (11,000 pounds), eighth in dioxins (19 grams) and ninth in lead (8,200 pounds), according to the report. "It's quite a toxic hit parade," said Jack Shaner, spokesman for the Ohio Environmental Council. "Unfortunately, Ohio is at the top of the list."

Cinergy spokesman Steve Brash said those chemicals don't pose a threat to people of Greater Cincinnati. Brash said his company hired an outside consultant years ago that found levels of those toxins too low to harm people.

"And our emissions are set up to dissipate relatively quickly because of the height of our stacks," Brash said.

The report found local power plants as having high annual emissions in 2002:

• Miami Fort in North Bend: 489 pounds of lead (7th in Ohio); 6.3 million pounds of acids (7th); 9,000 pounds of metals (9th), and 755 pounds of arsenic (5th).

• Beckjord in New Richmond: 754 pounds of lead (5th); 5.3 million pounds of acids (8th); 10,000 pounds of metals (7th), and 805 pounds of arsenic (4th).

• Zimmer in Moscow: 396 pounds of lead (10th); 1.0 million pounds of acids (15th); 4,100 pounds of metals (13th), and 133 pounds of arsenic (9th).

Health researchers at the University of Cincinnati say those chemicals, and the others coming from energy company smokestacks, pose a real danger.

George Leikauf, a UC air pollution researcher, said electric utilities are easily the biggest source of toxic chemicals and that epidemiological studies are able to pinpoint the number of people who suffer from asthma attacks and even premature death as a result of the chemicals coming from those smoke stacks.

For example, Leikauf said more than 1,170 people in Greater Cincinnati need to visit an emergency room because of respiratory problems related to high smog days, and another 57,000 people suffer asthma attacks.

Smog is created when nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbons mix with sunlight and heat.

"We can count the bodies - the number of people who go to a hospital or get buried," Leikauf said. "Power plants around here are the number one bad guys, because they are very old and very uncontrolled."

The report also says the Bush Administration is using a "sleight of hand" to weaken restrictions on power plant emissions in its pending and controversial mercury rule.

While restricting emissions of mercury, the rule also would eliminate power plants as a source of the other toxins, meaning less regulation of them. EPA officials in Washington did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

"The effect of the new rule would be that power plants will not have to use the best available technology to reduce those toxins," Shaner said.

EPA officials said in an e-mail to reporters Thursday that mercury is the chemical of greatest concern and that others are being addressed with other rules.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thanks carl that should help us xbow hunters :!: Image
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

An Anti-Bush opinion :shock: Am I on the right site? :lol: :lol:

I will be interesting to get the final elections results... however long it might take. You fellows down south have about as good a selection of politicians as we had in our federal election last spring. :wink:

Post by Guest »

You missed J.M. Stewart plant in Adams County Ohio! They presently have a lawsuit pending for their emissions.
Yep, we need Kerry in there - clean air to breathe, even if we can't own guns or hunt anymore.
striper

Post by striper »

:shock: Come on, Carl. Why in God's name can you blame the President for dirty air in Ohio? Aren't the people in Ohio responsible for their air quality? Do you want a dictator in the White House to make us do right (or what he thinks is right)? The only hunter who can support John Kerry must be a fool or an idiot. I know his record on gun control- HE WANTS YOUR GUN, CARL. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.

Post by Guest »

Ahh come on guest,..you can log in as yourself..can't you??

Only undereducated and simple minded people will fall for the RNC and GOP scare tactics concerning gun ownership, 2nd ammendment rights, and "the banning of the bible" by the Democrats and Kerry. That's just laughable!!

If you are one of those people, guest,..I can only wish you the best in life. For ignorance is bliss.

Striper: READ...EPA. They are responsible for the terribly damaging fallout from the midwest coal plants.
Why do you think EPA Sec. Christy Todd-Whitman stepped down. She could'nt get Bush's ear for one second, with the oil-based cabinet members that Bush appointed.
He may not have affected your air down in Dixie, but things are bad in the East.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Like Partikle I'm surprise to see an anti- Bush thread on this site. Something tells me we will be hearing from Woody soon. :wink:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

My biggest fear of Kerry is not Kerry but in that he will get to appoint judges that will make law instead of interpret it.

Liberals are like that..

That would probably amount to 3 or 4 Supreme Court judges.

That is REAL SCARY....

They will be the ones to decide whether the 2nd amendment is the RIGHT of the PEOPLE to bear arms.

Right now the Attorney General has declared that it is a people right. That was a 180 from Bill Clinton's Janet Reno. Kerry will do like Bill and select an anti-gunner as an AG. I don't want to go back there..

This election will also decide if the US 0f A will stay where we are or revert back to the Clinton days of talking big and being chicken S%&# to back it up...

Yeah, these "environmental groups" always play straight with the numbers..sort of like the animal rights groups..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Post by Guest »

Jeeze,
Do you guys in Canada think that we march in lock-step like some mindless zombies here??! :? That would be the Republican base you're thinking about, not the independent thinkers.
We don't blindly follow any politcal ideology, rather we vote for the best possible candidate, regardless of party affiliation.
Heck, I've already voted via absentee ballot, and you could find Republicans, Democrats, and Independents selected as my choices.
Ticket splitting is nothing new here.
I helped vote Dubya in, but I'll be damned an idiot before I vote for him again.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

As a Canadian I have no desire to insult my American friends or their political system. It just seems to me that there are far more pro-war, pro-Bush threads on this site then the other way around. Good luck with your election.

Post by Guest »

It is a terrible crime what has happened to the air in Ohio since George Bush became President! You know up until 2000 Ohio had the most pristine air in the entire world, they had never even heard the word pollution until then. Don’t forget Florida, they had never had a Hurricane until George Bush created global warming. I remember what it was like before Bush, the sky was always blue, there were no gun crimes, the world loved America, we had never been attacked by terrorist, and all of our children were happy and smart. The only thing that can save the world now is the second coming of Jesus F Kerry! :roll:
Redbad

Post by Redbad »

Come on guys! :roll: This is a crossbow hunting site - please, no divisive politics here :!:

Post by Guest »

If you want to know anything about the Bush Presidency, just look at the mess in Iraq.
VOTE!! That's the bottom line.

Take care all,

Carl
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hey Carl,

I know I’m gonna stir the pot now, but I’m leaving on Friday for 8 days of deer hunting so here I go.

Shakky and I don't think your mindless zombies. It's just that ever time there is a political thread on this forum, 99% of the hunters on this post who voice their opinion always seem to bow down and worship Bush? All I ever read here is "Kerry Baaaaad, Kerry Baaaaad - Bush Gooooood". I think you’re NRA and Congress is way too strong to let Kerry take all your hunting guns away. Did you lose all your guns when Billy was in the Whitehouse?

My wife's aunt lives in Maryland and hates every Democrat that has ever walked the face of the earth. In her opinion the Republicans could run a dog for president and she would vote for him. Every time I see her, I can’t help but poke a little fun at her and ask if she would send Billy Boy up here to run for our Prime Minister. Then she gets all serious and tries to explain to me how "Democrats Baaaaad, Democrats Baaaaad - Republicans Gooooood".

On a side note, when Billy was in Toronto this past summer for his book signing, he was mobbed like a rock star! Pretty funny stuff.

Seriously, Good Luck and best wishes with whoever wins tomorrow night for all hunters’ rights and a cleaner environment. : )

Your Ontario neighbour,
Nick
Dan_DE

Post by Dan_DE »

I believe folks know how I feel about Dubya. But let's leave the arguments to the voters tomorrow & talk about crossbows & hunting instead!

p.s. Remember to vote early and vote often! :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/osagian/bushgollumfishII.bmp[/img]