Wraps or no wraps

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

venison

Wraps or no wraps

Post by venison »

Hey guys just got 2dozen zombie shafts and was thinking of putting wraps on my shafts can someone tell if they hold up I’m thinking white wraps on my shafts I’ve painted the last 6 inches where the broad head is can see the arrow greatwhich has no effect touching the rail what are your thoughts :eusa-popcorn:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Wraps or no wraps

Post by Doe Master »

Personally I like wraps because it is easier to replace your fletching with no glue residue from the previous fletching .
Normally at least one comes off after a passthrough .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Boo

Post by Boo »

To wrap or not wrap is personal choice. The only advantage to them is that it is easier to attach a fletching to a wrap than a fletching to a bare shaft.
For hunting and a small amount of shooting they are fine but if you're an arrow junkie, you'll regret wraps. It is difficult to remove a damaged fletching without having to replace the wrap.
Fletchings glued directly to the shaft rarely come off after a pass through on a target.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
venison

Post by venison »

Thanks for the responses guess I will fletch a couple first see how they hold up Thanks
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Boo wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:03 pm
To wrap or not wrap is personal choice. The only advantage to them is that it is easier to attach a fletching to a wrap than a fletching to a bare shaft
For hunting and a small amount of shooting they are fine but if you're an arrow junkie, you'll regret wraps. It is difficult to remove a damaged fletching without having to replace the wrap.
Fletchings glued directly to the shaft rarely come off after a pass through on a target.
in my experience fletching to a bare shaft is more durable and well worth the little extra effort needed to do so.
the only positive i see in using wraps is they certainly can make your arrows look cool :!:
jmo
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:13 pm
... the only positive i see in using wraps is they certainly can make your arrows look cool :!:
That, and when the right color, certainly makes retrieval a LOT easier! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
janesy

Post by janesy »

I have a white reflective wrap on all of my hunting arrows now, but I have practice arrows made up the same but without the wrap. The weight difference of 7 grains is not worth peeling a wrap off after a target passthough

Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
venison

Post by venison »

Wow the pink wraps are nice love them ironnoggin has some beautiful arrows 👍I ordered pink and white ones with 3inch bohing x vanes is a deadly combination for my set up I shouldn’t have any problems finding them that’s for sure between the wraps and lumonocks are a must I like being able to see my arrows when shooting at a animal he’ll just like shooting period my eyes are starting to not see fine print anymore it’s. Not fun getting old 58 :lol:
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Only bad thing about wraps is you don't want to leave them in a hot vehicle or direct sunlight... they will unwrap when hot.
I removed mine after leaving them in my arrow case behind my truck seat last summer.. :(
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Never did wraps but I used to have home made jigs and dipped and crested all my shafts for years by hand man I even used to splice 2 different coloured feathers for the cock feather now I just use standard store bought stuff lol
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Hate wraps. Did custom wraps a few years ago and you lose one fletching you have to change wrap and all three fletchings. OK if you don't shoot very often but when I used to shoot everyday before I broke my shoulder it was a pain. Hope to start shooting again this year. CHEERS!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

venison wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:31 pm
Wow the pink wraps are nice love them ironnoggin has some beautiful arrows
Thank you Sir!
Can't take credit for that though.
Those are Works of Art from the magic hands of Big John.
Hell of a fine job, and they fly like beautiful missiles!
The last bunch he made me had a white cock vane as well as the pink wraps and pink alternate vanes.
And of course with Luminoks!
LOVE these arrows!!
The deer... not so much! :lol:

Cheer,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

To me, wraps are like a double edged sword. They look beautiful (as seen from Ironoggin) and can make your arrows easier to find. I would go with a reflective wrap over any other because if a light is anywhere near them in the dark they light up like a Christmas tree. However, as mentioned, they make fetching repairs near impossible without removing all the vanes AND the entire wrap. I can say from personal experience, the wraps are an absolute pain in the nether regions to remove. Also, glue strength testing has shown that the bond to wraps is no where near as strong as a properly fletched arrow going straight to the shaft. Good luck with whichever way you go. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Post by newbie »

Im with Paul on this one! I like my arrows nekked. Much easier to maintain.
I dont fret too much about loosing a naked arrow as i retire each one through an animal anyway.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

Why retire an arrow just because it killed something? Wash it off with soap and water, and put it back in the quiver! Arrows like to kill stuff; the more they kill the happier they are! :thumbup:

Nog’s got the right idea: hot pink fletching is the way to go for finding arrows. Cyan is the second-best unnatural color in the woods, if you can’t stand the sight of pink.

Paulaboutform is right too; some reflective wrap is helpful in low light. I wrap the 1/2” of the shaft between the fletching and the nock with white automotive reflector tape. You can get it at Autozone or anywhere.

If you decide to put on wraps or tape, a great aid is one of those neoprene foam mousepads. Lay the wrap sticky side up on the pad, alighting the edge of the wrap with the edge of the pad. Then roll the shaft over the pad. Works real well.